FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

The games only going to be as good as its foundations.
Of course, but adding sliders doesn't make them change those foundations. If they decide to make brilliant foundations next year, it'll be great - but people (on here, not in the real world) will still use sliders to tweak things they don't like, because there's no such thing as the "perfect game" in everyone's eyes.

That foundation will be what it is, with or without sliders. So we may as well have the sliders.

For someone to say this game out the box is unplayable is a worrying statement.
Yeah, it is. How many people would say that? On this forum? Maybe... Five of us? Six? Out of ONE MILLION people who bought the game in its launch week, how many think it's "unplayable", do you think? First clue - social media is all about how "sick" the game is (which I'm reliably informed means "excellent" amongst the yoof). Second clue - no reputable games review sites (or any sites I know of) are publishing articles saying "FIFA 17 is unplayable".

This isn't No Man's Sky. There aren't thousands of people unhappy with it.

If there were, then there WOULD BE "protesting en masse". Because that's what happened with No Man's Sky, and it's what happened with PES last year when they shipped a game with the previous season's player data.

What you and I think of FIFA, ain't that.

So, my point is - they'll never make a game and aim it at you and I. Those days have gone. If they can make a game for the kids who wear Barcelona shirts without even knowing how to spell it - and I can make it into something else using the sliders, even though it won't have the tactical depth of PES - that's a GOOD THING, right?!

Of course, I wish it wasn't that way. I wish they'd concentrate on the gameplay, and make it more tactical, amongst other things. But sliders are nothing to do with that argument. And, it'll never happen. For that, it's up to their competition. And they (by which I mean, we) need more of that.

They might aswell give us the creased up shirt for free and let the community iron it.
But "the community" who are unhappy with it are you, me and a handful of others. So it's not like that at all.

If anything, it's the other way around. They've given us shirts and we're finding creases nobody else has spotted. We can iron it. Nobody else will bother. But it won't affect them either way.

Last edited:
I'll wait and see what EA come up with in this patch. My expectations are already at an all time low and honestly I expected a much more polished end product than this. (In my opinion) it stinks of beta. There, said it.

I've STILL not played it since those initial 10 matches or so on release day and I really dont plan to until they release their 1st "proper" patch. In my breaks away from the console I find myself wanting to play PES 2017. Its the one football game out of the two that calls me back for more. FIFA 17 is left collecting dust, unfortunately, because I really would like to flirt with it in the office from time to time. I really would. Even "The Journey" is not enough to capture my attention at the minute.

What I will say in closing, is this, it seems for lots of people here that FIFA 17 has wore off after a while with it in bed, PES 2017 is still that fresh shag that people are still enjoying shagging. I might give FIFA 17 another go down the line, but it better get some new teeth, ass and titties.

I'll wait and see what EA come up with in this patch. My expectations are already at an all time low and honestly I expected a much more polished end product than this. (In my opinion) it stinks of beta. There, said it.

I've STILL not played it since those initial 10 matches or so on release day and I really dont plan to until they release their 1st "proper" patch. In my breaks away from the console I find myself wanting to play PES 2017. Its the one football game out of the two that calls me back for more. FIFA 17 is left collecting dust, unfortunately, because I really would like to flirt with it in the office from time to time. I really would. Even "The Journey" is not enough to capture my attention at the minute.

What I will say in closing, is this, it seems for lots of people here that FIFA 17 has wore off after a while with it in bed, PES 2017 is still that fresh shag that people are still enjoying shagging. I might give FIFA 17 another go down the line, but it better get some new teeth, ass and titties.

Come on, it's nowhere near as bad as you're making out. It doesn't stink of beta at all. It's not my cup of tea (I'm getting a refund of my copy and using the money for other things) but it's still got plenty of merits. You make it sound as if it's riddled with problems. In reality, it's not got any problems that other versions haven't had and I've thoroughly enjoyed those versions. I'm just more inclined to enjoy the product that Konami have provided this year.

We get it, you prefer one game to another. What that doesn't mean is that you have to slander and tarnish other peoples opinions on the rival game just because you've got a preference.

Re Ball physics - I think Matt made a good point about Fifa - the ball needs to be a bit bigger. Pes ball is perfect size.
Played FIFA for 2 hours last night using slider set 2 and enjoyed it. There is good game there but if it weren't for the people testing sliders I'd have sold it on day one.
No game should have to have this much testing and adjusting.
Especially since the last slider set came ( not final) in May.
Which means a whole season with it.
I'll probably pick up FIFA when it looks and plays good,from what I've seen,it's not there yet.
But I enjoyed 16 so much last year

That's what I was saying (unless I'm misunderstanding you)! :) There's an improvement in this area in PES this year, but it's blown away by what FIFA does. Even though the ball has fits of behaving erratically (which I never felt with 16), there's an unpredictability that is always present. That creates passes that feel less on-rails and moments that feel more organic. That for me is one of the biggest things that's still missing from PES, and it leads to a feeling of "this isn't a next-gen game" for me. Even though I prefer the game...

This is exactly what I am thinking. I have Pes 2017 and I think it's a great but for some reason this year I am looking for more unpredictability and less-on rail ball feeling, even on manual. Also, I am big on Pace, which I don't think PES has been able to nail the right pace of the game like they had it in PES 2015. I do believe that FIFA offers more in these areas; although the biggest turn off for me in FIFA in recent years was that all players feel the same, but this year, even from a player model standpoint, it's much better. I also hope that fifa has been able to make CPU score more organic goals without that feeling of scripting. One thing I like about PES that you feel that the goals you concede are more organic and fair not just forced to balance the game and make it more challenging.

Come on, it's nowhere near as bad as you're making out. You make it sound as if it's riddled with problems. We get it, you prefer one game to another. What that doesn't mean is that you have to slander and tarnish other peoples opinions on the rival game just because you've got a preference.
Well this is the comparison thread, and I for one appreciate we have a thread where we can voice our strong opinions one way or the other. The key for me is understanding opinions can't ruin the enjoyment I'm having with the game, and the enjoyment I'm having is all that matters. The thread title could use a Doors of Durin warning: Abandon all indignation, those who enter here!

You make it sound as if it's riddled with problems.

Its got many things that suggest to me its not finished/polished. Konami forced their hand releasing two weeks early. Like I said before, another month working hard on the game and getting the new engine to fit could have made all the difference to the game. But being seen to delay the game meant they would have had to swallow a shitload of foolish pride. Whatever they say, this game was finished months ago. All they've been doing in the meantime is preparing the sales strategy and hyping the game up out the stratosphere. This game was done ages ago.

As it is, releasing it like this, leaves a nasty aftertaste in my mouth, however many times they patch it from now on. Knowing its been in this state for a number of months and them not actually going through it with a fine tooth, makes it worse for me. Its amateur.

If an Alien asked me to recommend one of these games. It would be inhumane of me to suggest an unfinished steaming pile of doo-doo.

If an Alien asked me to recommend one of these games. It would be inhumane of me to suggest an unfinished steaming pile of doo-doo.
Not sure if it was your intention, but the way that's written makes it sound like both games are doo-doo. You might want to edit that in case Aliens DO in fact make contact.

Its got many things that suggest to me its not finished/polished. Konami forced their hand releasing two weeks early. Like I said before, another month working hard on the game and getting the new engine to fit could have made all the difference to the game. But being seen to delay the game meant they would have had to swallow a shitload of foolish pride. Whatever they say, this game was finished months ago. All they've been doing in the meantime is preparing the sales strategy and hyping the game up out the stratosphere. This game was done ages ago.

As it is, releasing it like this, leaves a nasty aftertaste in my mouth, however many times they patch it from now on. Knowing its been in this state for a number of months and them not actually going through it with a fine tooth, makes it worse for me. Its amateur.

I mean FIFA always releases around the third week of September though, I don't think they'd have taken any extra time even if Konami hadn't released earlier.

Where I agree with you is that they've spent more time prepping the sales strategy than developing the game any further than 16. It's a shame because I did enjoy 16 and got a lot of enjoyment out of it, but the game hasn't evolved it seems.

Not sure if it was your intention, but the way that's written makes it sound like both games are doo-doo. You might want to edit that in case Aliens DO in fact make contact.

Only one of them is unfinished in my book.

I thought about chucking it in the bin, but that would be an insult to the bin.
The good thing is you have a game you enjoy, right? See, I'm doing to you right now what my sweetie does to me when I go on for hours about some thing I can't stand. And I'm just now beginning to understand why she does that!

The good thing is you have a game you enjoy, right? See, I'm doing to you right now what my sweetie does to me when I go on for hours about some thing I can't stand. And I'm just now beginning to understand why she does that!

Because you rise?

Except I'm pretty sure you can see everything he quotes? @Placebo I'm glad you've made this utterly life changing decision to stick me on your ignore list! Actions speak louder than words afterall buddy. If only we could filter all the truth entirely out of our lives in reality. We could all live a lie forever and ever and ever! We could party like its 1984!

Seriously though, as a grown man I'm prepared to handle all in equality. Whether they agree with me or not on an internet forum. I don't care if you do or if you don't. You're all just as valid as one another and we have some very funny and knowledgable posters here.

"You're speaking too much truth, I must stick you on ignore so you dont exist, then I must make silly little snide comments to show the world what I've done"

Except I'm pretty sure you can see everything he quotes? @Placebo I'm glad you've made this utterly life changing decision to stick me on your ignore list! Actions speak louder than words afterall buddy. If only we could filter all the truth entirely out of our lives in reality. We could all live a lie forever and ever and ever! We could party like its 1984!

Seriously though, as a grown man I'm prepared to handle all in equality. Whether they agree with me or not on an internet forum. I don't care if you do or if you don't. You're all just as valid as one another and we have some very funny and knowledgable posters here.

"You're speaking too much truth, I must stick you on ignore so you dont exist, then I must make silly little snide comments to show the world what I've done"
He'll end up sticking himself on the ignore list soon.

We,the ignored by the almighty,stick together

Strange because I can tolerate anyone here. I read his posts and applied accordingly. I really have no idea why one would do such a thing. Its a bloody forum talking about football games. Ah well, whatever floats your boat and all that.

Strange because I can tolerate anyone here. I read his posts and applied accordingly. I really have no idea why one would do such a thing. Its a bloody forum talking about football games. Ah well, whatever floats your boat and all that.
Me neither mate.
I like a discussion around our games,I enjoy both,but I prefer PES and I haven't played 17 yet,so I have no opinion on it.
I think the meaning of this is somehow to raise attention to what's good/bad and what can be improved,not territorial pissing and making fun of people's thoughts/reactions
Have absolutely no respect for people behaving like that,without mentioning any one "special"

So Craney, apart from all that, what do you think of FIFA 17?

It doesnt matter what I think.

FIFA 17 speaks for itself. If you can understand its language, its actually whispering to all of us.

Last time I played it, on that cold dark night on 29th September it kept saying "I'm not finished yet, I'm not finished yet"

So all I said was "OK buddy, just let me know when you are"

Being serious though, you're never going to change someone's mind on an Internet forum. If they love FIFA, they will play FIFA. If they love PES, they will play PES. Some will even enjoy both.

For me, I have extensively played FIFA since PES 6 because Pro Evo has been dog muck for ages. Sometimes I see posts at various forums where people say stuff like "PES 2011 was the best PES" and I scratch my head and wonder what the world is coming to.

PES 2017 being this good is good for FIFA fans. Because it means that EA can't rest on their laurels.

For me, FIFA 17 looks beautiful but after spending so much time with PES 2017 now, it doesn't feel right. It feels like I can run with the ball at ease regardless of who is in possession of it.

Now granted, I played the game as Boro, Chelsea and Man Utd and didn't give the lower league sides a go but that isn't the issue. My issue is that everything feels so unnatural in FIFA 17. It's like it's on steroids - the thing gave me a headache.

PES 2017 makes me dig deep and think about the tactical side of the game.

Earlier I played against Legia Warsaw in an exhibition game (I was Valencia). It was 0-0 and around the 80 min mark it was obvious that the CPU was more than happy with a draw away a time Valencia and defended extremely deep and played so differently to how it had been for the first 79 minutes.

Every single match I have played in PES 2017 has been different.

It's a work of art. FIFA 17 felt like a child's game for me after a while, it's shallow.

Somewhat ironic Placebo delightfully announces he has put someone offering contrast and comparison on his ignore list... in a contrast and comparison thread.

bfl.gif

Back
Top Bottom