FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

If you applied a bit of logic and rational thought, and listened to what Rom was saying, you'd realise an apple is an apple.

But you seem to believe that the CPU deliberately paths your defender out of the way while cackling with evil intent, so I guess you're struggling with the rational thought bit.

The new Man City v Chelsea challenge is fun, although I did it in a much more exciting way than real life: scored the penalty, then gave away a penalty which Lampard took and Joe Hart saved, then in the 94th minute scored the winner with Tevez, now that would of been a game to watch!

If you applied a bit of logic and rational thought, and listened to what Rom was saying, you'd realise an apple is an apple.

But you seem to believe that the CPU deliberately paths your defender out of the way while cackling with evil intent, so I guess you're struggling with the rational thought bit.

A CPU can't cackle.......silly boy!

And um, no, I recall acing the rational thought bit in my RAF Officer tests. I'll let my superiors know I'm neither logical or rational right this moment though - thank you for the attitude re-adjustment; info assimilated!

(Sanctimonious.......)

I'll pay my fine on the way out!

Can't remember off the top of my head. Mostly Placebo's, except passing speed is low 60's, keeping is 47 or 48, CPU acceleration might be 49 instead of 48. Oh, and shot speed is 50, error is 54.

Edit - never mind, the regulars know though.

Last edited:
No wonder you guys are turning up pass speed!! It is dreadful at default! Surly someone playtested the game and thought to themselves this pass speed is waaaaaaaay to slow? If not they need new playtesters.

The maximum pass speeds on 60-odd are still pretty silly, and there's a lack of difference between players when it comes to passing speed. There is a difference - it's just not enough. Pro passing doesn't account for increased urgency in play in tight spaces, which is where higher quality players make a difference. It's as if every pass needs to be in transit for at least 2 seconds before arriving at the target.

I have passing speed on 70, anything below seems unrealistically slow to me.

The other aspect I changed considerably is the relation between top-speed and acceleration. Default (even on slow) the players are just too fast, but on the other hand they can't accelerate well.

So I reduced top-speed to 30 and increased acceleration to 70, going to 80 or more made it too arcade, but 70 is imho just fine.

Also important is to increase pass and shot error, I think I have both on 65.

For Fifa 13 I wish for more sliders, would be nice to have some for the effects of stamina/fatigue and first-touch-capabilities for example.

But even more important is a hugely upgraded AI and a better connection between players and the pitch (less skating, realistic momentum and inertia...), and the bugs with playerswitching, referee-decisions, problems with the ball going through bodyparts... need to be resolved. Also nice would be more time-options, currently the max is 20 minutes.

Last edited:
just put fifa12 into my ps3 after a month ,I was about to sleep while playing
It was plain and boring 2 games ,my teammates are just spectators
it needs a urgent AI upgrade

I beg to differ.

my teammates make runs all over the place and good runs to...remember to use L1 also.

Its not about the runs ,its about intelligent runs
Fifa's runs are in a straight line ,there's no diagonal or drop back runs
I guess you play on professional and said its hard to score on it
;)
I already know all of fifa controls apart from skills which I don't depend on it
GL with it

Its not about the runs ,its about intelligent runs
Fifa's runs are in a straight line ,there's no diagonal or drop back runs
I guess you play on professional and said its hard to score on it
;)
I already know all of fifa controls apart from skills which I don't depend on it
GL with it

nO I JUST WON 4-1 MY LAST GAME on pro i think i need to move up. I SCORE EAsy on pro now tbh.
The runs well? I dunno with high run freq, free form custom tactics and what not there are alwasy options. if you press l1 twice the player that made the run will drop back...also some runs are diagonal.

Overall its not perfect and on default in fact its pretty terrible but for me now i think its decent enough, room for improvement but nothing that spoils the game.

I agree, the teammember-AI needs a huge upgrade, they don't use space and opportunities intelligently.

With sliders for runs on 65-70 at least they move a bit around, on 50 they are pretty much dead, but it all lacks creativity and intelligence.

In the tactics menu you can set them on "free positioning" for the offensive which is better than the grid-like-positioning that is default, but still it could and should be much better.

Hopefully Fifa 13 offers an improvement in that and other regards.

ITS NOT THAT BAD I JUST TRIED TO EXAMINE IT JUST BNOW I WAS WALKING WITH BALL ABOUT 30YRDS OUT WITH MOST PLAYERS AROUND 20YRD LINE NOT ONLY DID I HAVE AI TEAMMATES MAKE DIAGNOAL AHAED RUNS I EVEN HAD MY FORWARD COME BACK TOWARDS ME TO RECIEVE BALL SO TEAMMATES DO DROP BACK INTO SPACE IT DOES HAPPEN.

OVERLALL THOUGH YEH IT CAN BE IMPROVED BUT WITH RIGHT TACTICS AND SLIDERS AND MALSO IMPROTANT TO NOTE GOOD LEVEL PLAYERS DECENT RUNS DO HAPPEN.

OH SORRY I never reaslised i had caps on lol

ITS NOT THAT BAD I JUST TRIED TO EXAMINE IT JUST BNOW I WAS WALKING WITH BALL ABOUT 30YRDS OUT WITH MOST PLAYERS AROUND 20YRD LINE NOT ONLY DID I HAVE AI TEAMMATES MAKE DIAGNOAL AHAED RUNS I EVEN HAD MY FORWARD COME BACK TOWARDS ME TO RECIEVE BALL SO TEAMMATES DO DROP BACK INTO SPACE IT DOES HAPPEN.

OVERLALL THOUGH YEH IT CAN BE IMPROVED BUT WITH RIGHT TACTICS AND SLIDERS AND MALSO IMPROTANT TO NOTE GOOD LEVEL PLAYERS DECENT RUNS DO HAPPEN.

OH SORRY I never reaslised i had caps on lol

Yes, sometimes they come nearer or make diagonal runs, so it's not completely useless, but often I see an opportunity and wish the other player(s) were intelligent enough to see it, too, but he (they) didn't and went into a useless direction.

And I'm not asking for super-complex moves or vision, just some sensible moves and sensible use of space and opportunities that every footballer would be able to see in that situation and make use of it.

possibly good players make better runs than low level players or not?

I also think you have to really edit your custom tactics well, I mean if u look in detail at all the aspects of custom tactics it shows what type of runs etc your players will tend to make.

On a sde not i have officialy moved up to world class pro is to easy. World class sure is more of a challenge but so was pro once so i will need to give it time. I increased cpu pass error to 65 and shot error to 60 i think to help me out?

really enjoying this on world class now, having some real tigt games and feels much more competitive. Albiet when i get promoted i may struggle. Though my last game agaisn near bottom of league team i had 24 shots versus 2 for them on 5min game lol, only won 1-0 toough lol.

Anyway games much more exciting now on world class, pro was just same thigng over and over. I think game is more dynamic on this higher difficulty.

I will make another full lenght video for you all to examine and with my latest sliders.

(problem is when i record video it makes fram rate choppy so i cant play that well)

Okay guys, I feel I have taken PES as far as I can this year in terms of getting settings/patches/aesthetics right on the PC. Yair's final test3 patch is probably the one I'll stick with for this iteration, the console is basically unplayable, so it's PC only for PES 2012. I have dedicated a lot of time in shaping it to this point. So it's the end of the road for PES in terms of potching and changing things; in my mind it cannot get any better than this point, some flaws and all.

So...

I'm now focusing my efforts on FIFA, console.

I know 'how' to win on FIFA, but like my quest in PES, it has become more about the gameplay and trying to emulate realism whilst still maintaining enjoyment from it. Yesterday I had a bit of a break through I must say. I used Placebo's sliders the other day and whilst was impressed, thought it a little 'un-fun' as the manual control is a little too fun-crushing and I want stats to matter. Anyway I'm babbling -

I changed acceleration to something like 60/65 whilst lowering top speed, this seems to give the game a more CPU passing base which is what I want. I also changed a couple of other things which I'll post for some feedback later.

What I want to know is stuff like this -

1) The default setting for say line height is 50. So by moving the default slider to say 40, does this make all teams have exactly the same defensive line of 40, or does it move it in proportion to the teams customised defensive line setting in their tactics?

What I don't want is to move these sliders generally, and have all teams play exactly the same.

I have actually put CPU pass error to 45 I think, as this makes them keep the ball better and ramped mine up to 60. Passing I think is set at around 65/70 for speed.

I had a great 0-0 with Newcastle yesterday which seemed to eradicate most of the 'cheat' problems that I loathe.

Also I experimented a little further and line length seems to be one of the key things for making my players react like I want them to and to stop the CPU cheat and speed bursts. Also be having two holding defensive midfielders with increased defensive work rate and back arrows for positioning, I am in effect now having the same type of defensive setup as what PES does so well, and I'm not left one on one all over the park.

I know this a bit scatter-gun, I promise to be more specific as I venture through the game. I've tried to keep all the stats the same for both me and the CPU as I believe that having equal settings combined with a less cheatier mode like World Class, is better than having a few stats in my favour and playing on Legendary. The purpose of my little mission is to try and get the CPU to play some football. Also is there a set stat in the sliders which makes the CPU fire off long shots more? Also more fouls?

Again sorry for the scatter-gun approach, I'll be more specific in what I'm asking a little later may be; just your thoughts really.

possibly good players make better runs than low level players or not?

I also think you have to really edit your custom tactics well, I mean if u look in detail at all the aspects of custom tactics it shows what type of runs etc your players will tend to make.

Thanks for the suggestion, will try the custom tactics for runs and report back after a while.

Thanks for the suggestion, will try the custom tactics for runs and report back after a while.

yes but for every bar look at the daigram of the arrows and players etc on the pitch radar thing. It shows you what angles of rusn they make, what directions, what type of movements, if they sit for short passes, run ahead for long passes etc.

Also you have to go into each players custom tactics in formation and you can set 8 directions of runs for them to make and players attack/defense work rate.

You can have a right winger set to cut inisde often or make runs straight ahead. Or have a centre forward make runs out to wing.
YOu can have central midfelilder make runs to sit back on top of defense etc.

There really is a lot yo can do per team and individual. Sadly this only effects your team not the CPU or oppostition.

Some examples,

You could have a tall centre forward and set him to high defense work rate and low attack work rate then put an arrow for him to make runs back...So what you have is a centre forward that drops deeps and if you play long ball will drop off to win headers etc.

On the other hand you coudl have a small fast striker. You could set him high attack work rate and low defense work rate and an arrow to make forward runs. This means he will poach all game and sit on top of defense and make darting runs trying to beat offside for 1-on-1 goals etc.

Its all about the custom editing but it takes time and you need to know your players strneghts and weaknesses.

For example last night I bought a 10mil Brazil midfeilder. Hes defensive midfiler and tall and strogn so I played him in holidng role sitting above centre backs he done a good ojb but was never in the final 34d of pitch. I notice he had shot power 85 and long shots 79. So I wanted to try his shootign out. SO I changed him from CDM to CM and changed his defense/attack work rate to equal/normal for both. I removed his arrow that had him dropping back into defensive areas. Next match he is often now and then in final 3rd when I attack, low and behold in 3 games he scores 2 goals, both screamers from 30 yards and makes 2 assists and wins 2 MOMs, plus numerous other near miss long range efforst and hit the post a few times. 5 previous games all he had done was win headers and tackles and made no contribution to attack at all.

So you really have to sit and analyse your players and then edit the effectively just like in real football. I am now unsure what to do with this guy he is like Patrck Viera but he has a rocket shot on him so is wasted by having him sit to defensively. Therefore I will keep him in midfield and look to buy a new defensive midfielder.

Last edited:
The problem is that tactics are annoyingly inaccesible. It's a pain to change them. PES has that much better than FIFA. They don't have a limited set of slots for tactics, that should just be saved to the local DB as the teams now official tactic, once you change them of course.

The problem is that tactics are annoyingly inaccesible. It's a pain to change them. PES has that much better than FIFA. They don't have a limited set of slots for tactics, that should just be saved to the local DB as the teams now official tactic, once you change them of course.

yeh i know its crap. I think that even if u save a tactic its only for user team?

I dont know if u can permanently cahnge all custom tactis for cpu teams adn its stored?

and there is no way u can chnage indiviudal player tactics of cpu as I need to do this on game to game basis based on whos in my starting XI.

Well anyway I think editing tactics to suit your play and make game enjoyable is very good in fifa12, many options and they work well.

As for the cpu opponent well they play pretty standard set ways right. But better teams and individuals play better.

yeh i know its crap. I think that even if u save a tactic its only for user team?

I dont know if u can permanently cahnge all custom tactis for cpu teams adn its stored?

and there is no way u can chnage indiviudal player tactics of cpu as I need to do this on game to game basis based on whos in my starting XI.

Well anyway I think editing tactics to suit your play and make game enjoyable is very good in fifa12, many options and they work well.

As for the cpu opponent well they play pretty standard set ways right. But better teams and individuals play better.

Well, yesterday night I tried it out and yeah, you were right, they add an additional layer of customisation and they work as intended. Is there a way to permanently save these customisations for my team so that I don't have to repeat it everytime I play with them. Sure, I've saved it, but where and how do I load it? It would have been better if it loaded them automatically.

But even though this adds more enjoyment and tactical capabilities it doesn't change the problem I talked about regarding the AI:

Sure, you can customise your offensive player to be more offensive or more defensive, to go for riskier runs or safe runs, etc, to define the direction of his runs, if they should be straight, diagonal, inward, outward... which are all nice options... but what I really wanted is not dealty by this.

I want an AI that can intelligently decide which is the best action in a specific moment, that can decide after it quickly analyzed the space-situation and opponent-positioning and my positioning, speed... that in that situation it's best to come nearer, to go inward, or to cross the positions or to layback or... to intuitively decide what's best to create the best opportunity for achieving a goal.

That's what football players in real life do all the time, to read the game, the level of their ability to do this really differentiates the players these days, more so than the technical aspects of controlling the ball.

So once such reading-capability is built into the AI of future Fifas good players should have better reading-capabilities (and vision) than worse, that's how individuality can be taken into account.

Until then an option to easily map different runs onto the right stick would be nice, so that you can tell your teammember to come nearer, to run diagonal, inward... through the right stick, so that we can do the reading of the game-situation for them.

Is there a way to permanently save these customisations for my team so that I don't have to repeat it everytime I play with them. Sure, I've saved it, but where and how do I load it? It would have been better if it loaded them automatically.

It does, if you set them up right.

The last saved custom tactic becomes your team's default tactics, and then quick tactics is where you chose which four tactics are on the Dpad (down then a direction on Dpad during a match to choose).

Hi. are there any PC fifa 12 players who wanna play for a decent club?

We was 2nd in division 1 a few weeks ago and now around 8th so we are pretty much a top side. We are looking for 3 new players to join us to bolster our side.

We are looking for players who play as a team. That are not greedy and stay in position.

Send me a PM if you are interested. cheers

Okay guys, I feel I have taken PES as far as I can this year in terms of getting settings/patches/aesthetics right on the PC. Yair's final test3 patch is probably the one I'll stick with for this iteration, the console is basically unplayable, so it's PC only for PES 2012. I have dedicated a lot of time in shaping it to this point. So it's the end of the road for PES in terms of potching and changing things; in my mind it cannot get any better than this point, some flaws and all.

So...

I'm now focusing my efforts on FIFA, console.

I know 'how' to win on FIFA, but like my quest in PES, it has become more about the gameplay and trying to emulate realism whilst still maintaining enjoyment from it. Yesterday I had a bit of a break through I must say. I used Placebo's sliders the other day and whilst was impressed, thought it a little 'un-fun' as the manual control is a little too fun-crushing and I want stats to matter. Anyway I'm babbling -

I changed acceleration to something like 60/65 whilst lowering top speed, this seems to give the game a more CPU passing base which is what I want. I also changed a couple of other things which I'll post for some feedback later.

What I want to know is stuff like this -

1) The default setting for say line height is 50. So by moving the default slider to say 40, does this make all teams have exactly the same defensive line of 40, or does it move it in proportion to the teams customised defensive line setting in their tactics?

What I don't want is to move these sliders generally, and have all teams play exactly the same.

I have actually put CPU pass error to 45 I think, as this makes them keep the ball better and ramped mine up to 60. Passing I think is set at around 65/70 for speed.

I had a great 0-0 with Newcastle yesterday which seemed to eradicate most of the 'cheat' problems that I loathe.

Also I experimented a little further and line length seems to be one of the key things for making my players react like I want them to and to stop the CPU cheat and speed bursts. Also be having two holding defensive midfielders with increased defensive work rate and back arrows for positioning, I am in effect now having the same type of defensive setup as what PES does so well, and I'm not left one on one all over the park.

I know this a bit scatter-gun, I promise to be more specific as I venture through the game. I've tried to keep all the stats the same for both me and the CPU as I believe that having equal settings combined with a less cheatier mode like World Class, is better than having a few stats in my favour and playing on Legendary. The purpose of my little mission is to try and get the CPU to play some football. Also is there a set stat in the sliders which makes the CPU fire off long shots more? Also more fouls?

Again sorry for the scatter-gun approach, I'll be more specific in what I'm asking a little later may be; just your thoughts really.

If your coming from a long spell of PES 2012 you will have some issues accepting that FIFA 12 is a reasonably decent game. Your going to have expectations about overlapping runs and frequent runs by all players as well memories of a very direct, kill-first-ask-questions-later-cpu.

But I've found that it can be done. I would say, first, don't obsess about the sliders. You will likely get so twisted around that you never enjoy the game. For me, everything is default except the following (and for both human and cpu):

Sprint Speed: 51
Pass Error: 51
Shot Error: 51
Pass Speed: 65
Shot Speed: 49
GoalKeepers: 45
Injury: 99
Run Frequency: 75
Marking: 51
Fullbacks: 65

If you put pass error too high, no one will be able to cross the ball. If you put run frequency too low, you end up with a static, grid-like game, and the cpu will never shoot. With run frequency high the cpu finds itself in space a lot and will take the shot.

Finally, as much as I would love to play all manual controls, I just find it too tender and sensitive. I'm always pussy-footing around. After so much grief with my first experience with FIFA 12 (the grid-like default game) and with PES 2012 (the whole game) that right now I just want to have some fun, score some screamers, and love playing football again. I use semi assisted for everything. I find that stats are meaningful (though not enough) and plenty of passes still go astray. Also, in FIFA 12 I never use the Finesse shot control--its just too easy to score that way, which is disappointing--so its all chips or blood-curdling thunderbolts!

Good day.

Back
Top Bottom