FC Barcelona Thread

Well, I've been saying it for a long time, it was a wonderful way to destroy the opponent and something new in the world of football,. It was brilliant with all the players at their peak. And it's something only very gifted players can put at work. That's the brilliance of Guardiola as a coach.

The problem began when the tiki-taka ended up being the start and end of everything, when possession stopped having the purpose of inflicting a final blow and the moment the high pressure disappeared and the team was unable to punish with quick transitions after stealing the ball.

There is some people that criticized tiki-taka as a whole, because they didn't like the stethical side of it (it propperly negates one of the two teams). But the brilliance of this proposal can only be denied by people who don't love tactics in football. I don't like catenaccio, but it's a brilliant way to accomplish your goal.

We saw the rise of tiki-taka from 2009 to 2011-2012, when the team really put a deep mark in history. From then on, we've witnessing the perversion of the system, the radicalization of it. And when you loose balance, then the system stops being as efficient.

Last edited:
Sky Italy were saying that Busquets has been suffering an injury for almost 2 years, but never had a chance to operate because of the World Cup. This summer (2015) is the first time he can have the operation..... It might explain his poor physical performances lately.

Exactly, and he decided not to get the surgery during all this time because he earns a lot of money with the national team, so he decided to play Confederations Cup and the World Cup instead of getting fit for the club that pays his wages. This speaks volumes about him.

Beyond the physical problems, I think he's brun out mentally, he touches the ball more than ever, slowing down the play, never doing long passes, never breaking any pressure line. And in defense he's just not there.

I don't get why Mascherano isn't the man in charge in the midfield. Or why can't we play with both busquets and mascherano on special occasions if the opponent is a difficult one. It's not a sin so play with more than 3 midfielders or with 2 pivots.

Last edited:
... I don't get why Mascherano isn't the man in charge in the midfield. Or why can't we play with both busquets and mascherano on special occasions if the opponent is a difficult one. It's not a sin so play with more than 3 midfielders or with 2 pivots.

Or you could just switch between them: Put Masche as a DM and Sergio as a sweeper (Like Guardiola used to do) and team him up with Mathieu. Best position for Piqué right now should be the bench.

I'm sure beachryan had mentioned that couple of times earlier.

i see. nice to know i'm not alone then. :))
drekkard said:
The problem began when the tiki-taka ended up being the start and end of everything....

There is some people that criticized tiki-taka as a whole, because they didn't like the stethical side of it . But the brilliance of this proposal can only be denied by people who don't love tactics in football. I don't like catenaccio, but it's a brilliant way to accomplish your goal.

We saw the rise of tiki-taka from 2009 to 2011-2012, when the team really put a deep mark in history. From then on, we've witnessing the perversion of the system, the radicalization of it.
indeed. i couldn't agree more with u on this alexis ;)

Exactly, and he decided not to get the surgery during all this time because he earns a lot of money with the national team, so he decided to play Confederations Cup and the World Cup instead of getting fit for the club that pays his wages. This speaks volumes about him.

Maybe the guy just wanted to take the "once in a lifetime" opportunity of playing in a FIFA World Cup and a ConfeCup...

He probably makes more money than he will be able to spend anyway.

I agree that Pique and Busi have been out of shape lately. I think Mathieu-Vermaelen as CBs is Luis Enrique's idea, with Alves and Alba as fullbacks, and Masche driving the midfield. He just has not been able to do it yet.

Overall I believe Barcelona is nowhere as bad as they're painting it now. Unlucky defeat at Paris. Proper defeat at Madrid against a Real Madrid in top shape. Very very unlucky defeat vs Celta. Two points short of leading La Liga.

Could be much, much worse.

When Luis Suárez is completely integrated, when Masche can go back to the midfield, when Rakitic can take over Xavi's place for good... Barça will be back up with the very very best.

two hat-tricks in two games. Should give CR a run in Balon Dor voting. Where are all the ppl who said Messi was past it????

people are always judging by the newest event, also breaking CL & La Liga records is the sum of almost 8 years, so it's stupid to take these records as an argument to give Messi the Ballon D'or of 2014.

When you smash a big rock with your hammer, it's not the last knock who broke it, it's the 1000 before it.

CR has a way better year than Messi, and scoring some goals to reach the records can't change that fact.

jihado, be reasonable man. Don`t forget CR had his latest event last year too. We should all accept it and on move on. I think Cris will win it by a shade. The only thing I want is Robben to finish in the top three ahead of Neurer. On his day he`s just as good as Cris and Leo.

Suarez should have stayed by LFC, the strikers that leave us never learn...

he isn´t that magic for Barcelona as he was at LFC..just like Torres, Owen etc...

too early to pass judgement... he was one of the best at what he does. It`s a different atmosphere he`ll adapt, either way he was destine to leave Liverpool. :D

That#s Moysies best result since the famous 2-2 with Fulham

10yYfSv.gif

Zubizarreta is off, got he contract terminated and Puyol just resigned. Things are finally moving behind the scenes.

Now, let's hope Bartomeu and co will be next. Alex will be a very happy man if that happens.

Last edited:
I am a happier man, of course! Things could only get better in the institutional department. And results quickly followed after the storm at the begginning of 2015.

By the way, Messi is 27 and he's already the best scorer AND assister ever of La Liga. His performances in the last months are reaching his peak again. Best club player ever, by far. It's amazing to witness this guy. On sunday he was the key man in all of the 5 goals, and he assisted at least 3 more that Suarez and Neymar missed blatantly.

For those interested, some insights on how is Barcelona game evolving from long possession spells to direct plays, finally allowing the team to switch between both (at last!!!!!):
http://www.weloba.com/article/intensive-barcelona-outplays-athletic-bilbao

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, that was a good read.

Messi's passing has been outstanding as of late, his form been on high since Lucho decided to switch him on the right wing. That move seem to have rendered him brisky.

Yes, he's performing a lot better starting in the right wing, and this has offered a lot of balance to the midfield. Rakitic has a more specific role, we're more solid and most of all we're very vertical.

Also Messi moves freely during the match, so deffenses have to readapt and the team can exploit the wings a lot more.

I didn't have any confidence in Luis Enrique a month ago. But I have to say right now I'm in awe with the evolution of the team.

That is splendid news.
I will always have a soft spot for Barcelona, although my favourite Spanish team atm is Atletico Madrid. Look at the players who left them over a period of under 10 years, and still they continue to perform. I hope they van win this year's CL.

10 years since Messi's first goal. I still remember that day, commenting with my friend that the guy showed real potential... But who would have said back then that he would become the best player I had ever seen?

Thanks for a decade, Leo!

And this is the best tribute I could do to him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-LAL14L7WY

Not goals, not many plays that coun for stats, not just numbers. This is some of his best playmaking in the last 6 months. While this could fulfill the highlights of many midfield stars, for him that's routine. And he's been doing this for 10 years!

Last edited:
Messi is the best player i've ever seen, the only one that is better than Pele.
It must be a joy to be able to watch him "live" week in week out, Alex.

Lucky sod...

Yes Gerd, I feel extremely lucky to have seen practically half of his career live at the stadium, and the other half in HD TV. When you see the guy doing it in front of you, driving everyone mad effortlessly... it's very special.

I have the feeling that those of us who have watched him play all this years are spoiled. Football won't be the same without him for us. To me he's at the level of Shakespeare, Mozart, Nureyev or Picasso at their respective fields.

I wouldn't say so, if there's a team that can (and know how to) beat Barcelona, it's Bayern. Even with the injuries, I see no favorite for this clash.

Back
Top Bottom