Euro 2012 PRE-tournament talk. Squads, injuries, who'll make it and who won't, etc.

PLF

Legend
2 August 2004
Was just having a chat about some of the players who will or won't make it to the tournament on facebook with some friends and I thought I'd open this thread where I can hear more opinions.

Copying/Pasting what I wrote there about Fernando Torres after he was omitted from the squad for the friendly against Venezuela:

"Thank god he wasn't selected for Spanish National Team! That would've made NO sense! He's been getting a free ride for too long now! Soldado got what he deserved, got selected and took his chance. Hat-trick! Him, Llorente and Villa for Euro 2012 unless he COMPLETELY turns things around in the next 2 months! Hell at this point, Raul and Negredo should be ahead of him in pecking order as well and neither will probably even make it."

2555392_700b_v2.jpg

I hope that this was not just a ONE off and that he'll continue to be overlooked and have to EARN his place back in the most talented national team in the world with the deepest squad where there are many more deserving players unless he COMPLTELY turns things around in the few months he has left and even then, he should only be 'considered' because guys like Soldado and Llorente have been playing well all season!

Feel free to discuss this or any other player about Euro 2012 and who will/should make it or won't, injuries etc.

Re: Euro 2012 PRE-tournament talk. Squads, injuries, who'll make it and who won't, et

Rodrigo is playing so well for Benfica, it won't surprise me if Vicente Del Bosque finally picks him over Torres as third option. Spots #1 and #2 are owned to Llorente and Soldado respectively, imo.

Re: Euro 2012 PRE-tournament talk. Squads, injuries, who'll make it and who won't, et

Torres has no chance for Euro with current Soldado form...

Is Villa certain to recover in time then? I have a feeling if Villa doesn't make it they won't line up with a CF anyway.

Judged by the match against Venezuela Spain don't need Torres and could maybe even thrive without Villa (although that would be a massive loss). I know Venezuela are not a world power, but people who have seen yesterday's match claim that this was one of the most impressive performances of the Spanish national team...

France is doing rather well in the build-up to the tournament. I'm not so much referring to their match against a weakened Germany, but more to the fact that they are in a very good run lately.

I wasn't impressed at all by Holland in their match against England. I kind of liked what i saw from this England team...they are no world beaters but everybody outside England knows that for almost 50 years now...

I quite like France as well. They're really gonna go under the radar due to the dismal showing of last World Cup but that was all Domenech and this is Laurent Blanc!

For me they're an outsider contender and the fact that this year unlike many previous ones, Les Bleus are getting no attention and not taken very seriously can only help them!

The big 3 fav will have to be Spain, Holland and Germany though.
Behind them will be France, Italy, England and Croatia for me and these 4 teams have much lesser chance than the first 3.

In regards to Torres, for me, he shouldn't go to Euros. It would defy all logic and also set a very bad example of how hard work and performances DONT matter. Because that's exactly what Soldado and Llorente have been doing. Quite the opposite of Torres, they've been scoring for fun and not just this season.

It's not certain yet whether Villa will fully recover from injury or not in time but if he does or if he's even 80% fit, you can bet your house, he'll be included. He's untouchable and for good reasons.

With or without him, you need TWO real strikers though in the full squad and Llorente brings a great PLAN B in his size and height which is great alternative and gives opposition something VERY different to think about especially as Spain like to keep ball on ground and many teams can get used to that, and Soldado is just on fire right now! Playing with such confidence and very deadly.

It makes no sense to take Torres unless Villa can't make it and one of the others gets injured.

For me even Raul deserves to be there more than Torres. And Negredo as well.

England haven't got a hope in hell, getting out of the group stages should be considered an achievement.

The big 3 fav will have to be Spain, Holland and Germany though.
Behind them will be France, Italy, England and Croatia for me and these 4 teams have much lesser chance than the first 3.

No 'tuguisse' under your radar Sina?

What's that?

p.s. TsO, As well as Rodrigo is doing and he looks very talented, I WOULD be very surprised if he made it unless there is not one but a few injuries!

matherto, I agree. But I'd say still more chance than someone like Ireland.

'Tuguisse' means Portuguese. First time I heard that was in an American TV show where Daniela Ruah, Portuguese actress (you can see her in NCIS LA) mentioned our language.

I meant, don't you think Portugal should be among the favourites (or course in a second tier)?

Oh yah, sorry, totally forgot about them. They should be in 2nd tier. Problem with them is just like Croatia, I can see them not even qualify past group stages.

Germany and Holland are definitely superior in my opinion. We'll see though....

p.s. How SELFISH was Nani the other night against Poland? My god, Portugal tied that match when they could've won by 3-0! Quite a few selfish players who's rather take a shot to score themselves when they have 60% of chance of doing so instead of making an ASSIST and laying off a pass to a team-mate who would then score 90% of the time! Shocked and disappointed!

I hope Paulo Bento (who I really like) gave them a good lesson after the match!! I would've been livid! :RANT:

england squad to be announced tomorrow, i hope scott parker stays injured & roy better not take that cunt john terry... even if we have absolutely no chance i hope atleast we take a decent squad and get to the knockout stage... oh yea and GNEV is coach:CONFUSE:

Loving the Italy squad :D

Goalkeepers:Buffon (Juventus), De Sanctis (Napoli), Sirigu (Paris St. Germain), Viviano (Palermo);

Defenders:Abate (Milan), Astori (Cagliari), Balzaretti (Palermo), Barzagli (Juventus), Bocchetti (Rubin Kazan), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), Criscito (Zenit San Pietroburgo), Maggio (Napoli), Ogbonna (Torino), Ranocchia (Inter);

Midfielders:Cigarini (Atalanta), De Rossi (Roma), Diamanti (Bologna), Giaccherini (Juventus), Marchisio (Juventus), Montolivo (Fiorentina), Thiago Motta (Paris St. Germain), Nocerino (Milan), Pirlo (Juventus),Schelotto (Atalanta), Verratti (Pescara);

Forwards:Balotelli (Manchester City), Borini (Roma), Cassano (Milan), Destro (Siena), Di Natale (Udinese), Giovinco (Parma)

Just saw this thread, so I simply quote my post from the PES 6 section:

This.

And btw: This here is Germany's team of 27, with 4 to be dismissed before the EC:
EM_Kader.jpg

Tonight Paulo Bento will announce his 23 names for the tournament.

Czech squad almost announced - just one name will be dropped and it most likely will be a goalkeeper (Probably Tomás Grigar)

Czech_Republic_FA.png

Goalkeepers: Petr Cech (Chelsea), Jan Lastuvka (Dnjepr Dnjepropetrovsk), Jaroslav Drobny (Hamburger SV), Tomás Grigar (Teplice)

Defenders: Frantisek Rajtoral (Viktoria Plzen), Roman Hubnik (Hertha BSC), Tomás Sivok (Besiktas), Michal Kadlec (Bayer Leverkusen), Daniel Pudil (Cesena), Theodor Gebre Selassie (Slovan Liberec), David Limberský (Viktoria Plzen), Marek Suchy (Spartak Moskou)

Midfielders: Tomás Rosický (Arsenal), Jaroslav Plasil (Girondins Bordeaux), Jan Rezek (Anorthosis Famagusta), Daniel Kolar (Viktoria Plzen), Petr Jiracek (VfL Wolfsburg), Milan Petrzela (Viktoria Plzen), Vaclav Pilar (Viktoria Plzen), Tomás Hubschman (Shakhtar Donetsk)

Strikers: Milan Baros (Galatasaray), David Lafata (Jablonec), Tomás Pekhart (1. FC Nürnberg) and Tomas Necid (CSKA Moskva).​

Last edited:

Good job guys. Keep this thread coming!

Here is the France national team excluding players who play in the Ligue 1.

Le_nouveau_logo_FFF.png

Goalkeepers: -

Defenders: Gael Clichy (Manchester City), Patrice Evra (Manchester United), Younes Kaboul (Tottenham Hotspur), Laurent Koscielny (Arsenal), Philippe Mexes (AC Milan), Adil Rami (Valencia)

Midfielders: Yohan Cabaye (Newcastle United), Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Samir Nasri (Manchester City)

Strikers: Hatem Ben Arfa (Newcastle United), Karim Benzema (Real Madrid) and Franck Ribery (Bayern München)​

Last edited:

Confirmed full squad for the Republic of Ireland.

Ireland_Football_Team_Badge.png

Goalkeepers: Shay Given(Aston Villa), David Forde (Millwall), Keiren Westwood (Sunderland)

Defenders: Sean St Ledger (Leicester City), Stephen Kelly (Fulham), Richard Dunne (Aston Villa), Stephen Ward (Wolverhampton Wanderers), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Darren O'Dea (Leeds United), Kevin Foley (Wolverhampton Wanderers)

Midfielders: Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Keith Andrews (West Bromwich Albion), Keith Fahey (Birmingham City), Stephen Hunt (Wolverhampton Wanderers), James McClean (Sunderland), Darren Gibson (Everton), Aiden McGeady (Spartak Moskou), Damian Duff (Fulham)

Strikers: Shane Long (West Bromwich Albion), Robbie Keane (Los Angeles Galaxy), Kevin Doyle (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Simon Cox (West Bromwich Albion) and Jonathan Walters (Stoke City).​

Portugal_FPF.png

Goalkeepers: Rui Patrício (Sporting), Eduardo (Benfica) and Beto (Cluj)

Defenders: João Pereira (Sporting), Miguel Lopes (SC Braga), Pepe (Real Madrid), Bruno Alves (Zenit), Rolando (FC Porto), Ricardo Costa (Valência) and Fábio Coentrão (Real Madrid)

Midfielders: João Moutinho (FC Porto), Raúl Meireles (Chelsea), Carlos Martins (Granada), Miguel Veloso (Génova), Rúben Micael (Saragoça) and Custódio (SC Braga)

Strikers: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Nani (Manchester United), Ricardo Quaresma (Besiktas), Silvestre Varela (FC Porto), Hugo Almeida (Besiktas), Hélder Postiga (Saragoça) and Nélson Oliveira (Benfica)​

Eredivisie-phenomon John Guidetti won't go to the Euro's with Sweden.:(
Shame, really wanted to see how he would do on the big stage. He certainly is a fantastic player, and I am convinced he will become one of the worlds best in the future. Must suck for him missing it because of his injury.

It's really hard to figure out who'll be going to the Euros for England and at the same time it'll be so simple.

In Defence, Terry is completely over the hill yet he'll be basically picking the damn side so he'll be there (and don't be surprised if he somehow ends up as captain again, or at the very least directing all the press conferences). Rio has found a bit of form lately but his injuries and age may count against him. Aside from that we're really struggling. Cahill is decent-ish, Lescott has had a good year as has Jagielka but can they cut it at the top level?

I have a horrible feeling Johnson will play rather than Walker, and Cole has got the other side sewn up with Baines as back up.

In Midfield, Parker and Barry aren't good enough yet they'll be in midfield. Gerrard is past it and Lampard is pretty much the same, neither have ever turned up for their countries either but they'll make it. Carrick will be overlooked despite having an excellent season and being a key component in maintaining possession and I'd imagine Scholes won't bother so we'll be forever giving the ball away. I guarentee on the wings that despite having a bloody awful year and contributing the square root of fuck all, Downing will be on the plane.

Then up front we're inevitably gonna take a useless big man which'll be either Carroll or Crouch (two players who should never have played for England). Grant Holt is the second highest English top scorer after Rooney yet he'll be overlooked despite battering the best defences and scoring against them this year. Now, I don't really think Holt is good enough but given we'll be taking a player like him, we might as well take him.

Bent may or may not be injured so Defoe may take that slot. Then probably Welbeck and Sturridge, neither of whom will look like scoring a goal and Rooney to come back in for our last game at the tournament and probably get himself sent off in frustration at missing the first two games.

Llorente is the new Fernando Torres and should play. Soldado's form speaks for itself and Villa is recovering from the injury. So, there is no chance for Torres.

Fernando Torres will be in EURO 2012, SURE

Spain injuries:
Carles Puyol
David Villa

No is 100% but...
23 Selections
GK: Casillas, Valdes, Reina
DF: Arbeloa, Ramos, Javi Martinez, Pique, Jordi Alba, Montrreal, Iraola
MF: Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso, Fabregas, Busquets, Thiago, Silva, Cazorla
FW: Llorente, F.Torres, Mata, ·Negredo or Soldado·, ·Muniain or Navas·

11 type

--------Casillas
Arbeloa--Ramos--Pique---Alba
-------Busquets--Alonso
Xavi-----Fabregas-----Iniesta
-----Llorente----Mata

Without Athletic, Barcelona and Chelsea players.
417px-Spain_National_Football_Team_badge.png

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Pepe Reina (Liverpool) and David De Gea (Manchester United)

Defenders: Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Jordi Alba (Valencia), Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Alvaro Domínguez (Atletico), Nacho Monreal (Malaga), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid) and Juanfran Torres (Atletico)

Midfielders: Isco (Malaga), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Santi Cazorla (Malaga), Benat (Betis), Javi García (Benfica), David Silva (Manchester City) , Jesus Navas (Sevilla) and Bruno Soriano (Villarreal)

Strikers: Adrián Lopez (Atletico), Alvaro Negredo (Sevilla) and Roberto Soldado (Valencia)​

Fernando Torres will be in EURO 2012, SURE

Spain injuries:
Carles Puyol
David Villa

No is 100% but...
23 Selections
GK: Casillas, Valdes, Reina
DF: Arbeloa, Ramos, Javi Martinez, Pique, Jordi Alba, Montrreal, Iraola
MF: Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso, Fabregas, Busquets, Thiago, Silva, Cazorla
FW: Llorente, F.Torres, Mata, ·Negredo or Soldado·, ·Muniain or Navas·

11 type

--------Casillas
Arbeloa--Ramos--Pique---Alba
-------Busquets--Alonso
Xavi-----Fabregas-----Iniesta
-----Llorente----Mata
damn no wonder spain is no 1, they play with 12 players!!!

Torres in Euro's makes no sense.

Soldado, Llorente deserve it much more and if Villa recovers in time, he's an automatic pick.

Given the fact that Spain usually plays with 1 striker thanks to other great players like Mata, Silva, etc., there's no room for El Nino.

Torres in Euro's makes no sense.

Soldado, Llorente deserve it much more and if Villa recovers in time, he's an automatic pick.

Given the fact that Spain usually plays with 1 striker thanks to other great players like Mata, Silva, etc., there's no room for El Nino.

in last match soldado don't play with valencia...

for del bosque, Torres is important.

Here is the France national team excluding players who play in the Ligue 1.

Le_nouveau_logo_FFF.png

Goalkeepers: -

Defenders: Gael Clichy (Manchester City), Patrice Evra (Manchester United), Younes Kaboul (Tottenham Hotspur), Laurent Koscielny (Arsenal), Philippe Mexes (AC Milan), Adil Rami (Valencia)

Midfielders: Yohan Cabaye (Newcastle United), Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Samir Nasri (Manchester City)

Strikers: Hatem Ben Arfa (Newcastle United), Karim Benzema (Real Madrid) and Franck Ribery (Bayern München)​

Prelist Ligue 1 players

Goalkeepers : Hugo Lloris (Lyon), Steve Mandanda (Marseille), Cédric Carrasso (Bordeaux)

Defenders : Mathieu Debuchy (Lille), Anthony Réveillère (Lyon), Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa (Montpellier)

Midfields : Alou Diarra (Marseille), Blaise Matuidi (PSG), Yann M'vila (Rennes), Yoann Gourcuff (Lyon), Marvin Martin (Sochaux)

Strikers : Olivier Giroud (Montpellier), Jérémy Ménez (PSG), Loïc Rémy (Marseille), Mathieu Valbuena (Marseille)

PS: Kaboul (Tottenham) forfait

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom