eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

Still enjoying this but there are a lot of player requirements, so to say. For example, if you are tired or grumpy then forget about it it, this game will not lift you up, except if you're in a patient mood and have enough time to spare to convert your mindset.

The full list of player requirements to get the most out of PES is very long, especially for seasoned players, to a point it becomes borderline unreasonable and only for the most passionate. Somehow its still all worth it for me.

I just wish they would of kept multiplayer and the actual connection quality would of been better. This game deserves to be played online as a classic for decades to come. Man, if there would just be some service that could run these servers on behave of Konami in return for a few bucks per month per user.

I might even e-mail Sony/Konami about the possibilities at some point. It just feels off to let all these weird bussiness desicions get in the way of good old fun.

Last edited:
I've always hated one thing about PES2021, at least for the console version, which is what I have... and that is the fact that they've messed up the colors and especially the lighting compared to PES2019, which was sublime looking. I'd watch all of these videos on YouTube and Reddit, with PES2021 using turf mods or lighting mods, and it'd look even better than PES2019 did, the way Konami messed this up has always bothered me. Now, I know this will sound stupid, but so far I've been playing on my 32' TV I got over a decade ago at this point, and I never had to change the image settings for anything, I almost forgot that they were even a thing, I kept using the simple default ones thinking it was all there was... but there was another menu with deeper settings, like color temperature and things like that... and now this looks so much easier on the eyes. It's ridiculous I have to change my TV's settings in the first place, I admit, but it worked.

I still wish I had a PC powerful enough to play PES2021 with mods, since it'd probably look even better, and I'd be able to customize the cameras in a deeper way than what I can do on console, also improving the baggy looking kits and player anatomy/models would be good too, maybe edit some scoreboards and stuff... but for now I don't have a PC that can run PES2021, so I'm just glad that I finally got rid of the toxic yellow colored pitches and cartoon saturated look...

It's a shame, the more I play PES2021, the more I realize how much we needed a proper PES2022. It's a fantastic installment, don't get me wrong, but there's so much wrong with it that, if they had just fixed it on a next generation PES2022, it would've been perfect. I feel that nothing shows off the flaws in this than a rival/derby match, and if you're on anything above Regular or Professional difficulty, it gets 10x worse... it can really feel like a chore, especially the defending, no one marks properly, the CPU just skips the midfield with a few passes, the striker receives free, turns and shoots, their accuracy for shooting is superb, on the slim chance you manage to get near one of them on the ball, before they make a pass to someone who's free, they'll just shield it, and you won't get that ball no matter what, you can try to press with another player, but then they'll just make a ridiculous pass as if they have eyes on the back of their heads, of will get a foul... and the referee is so poorly programmed here, I wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't for one single, and pathetic, thing in this, the CPU free kicks. It's just like PES2012, if it's a direct free kick, they'll score 9 out of 10, and the few that miss either hit the bar or go slightly above it, it's just really frustrating...

I'll often suffer hard tackles and slide tackles, and they might kill me, but it was on the ball, so it's not a foul, but then I'll often do a tackle, on the ball, and it'll be a free kick, and more often than not a goal. I'm trying to get used to Top Player, but rival/derby matches make Top Player downright miserable to play, but if I play on Professional it becomes a bit too comfortable. It's not just these matches though, these issues are present everywhere, it's just that the lower the difficulty, the less they are a bother, or even noticeable. CPU free kick accuracy, inconsistent fouls, too much space, no proper marking, no real interceptions.

It bothers me too because I own PES2018, and a lot of the flaws here aren't there, it sort of feels counter intuitive to have a yearly titles where flaws are put into it instead of taken out of it. Here it's way to common for my teammates to stumble onto one another, for my FUMA passes to select the wrong player, for the player switching in defense also never going to the player that it might make more sense to become even when using the right stick, for me to not intecept a pass even when it's going right through my selected player, I managed to intercept passes often in PES2018, but here it feels like it was programmed for it to not be a thing, players don't stretch their legs to stop the ball. I really wish we could've gotten a proper next generation PES2022, with better colors/lighting like in PES2019 or better, a UI that doesn't feel amateurish, a more interesting midfield battle thanks to proper marking, for the CPU attacks to vary, and free kicks not going in 100% of the time, a better referee and fouls that feel consistent, and of course improved modes. I know a lot of people are happy with this installment, mostly PC players with mods, but for console... it's a shame it ended here, this was good, but flawed, and there won't be a next PES to fix it all...

It's a shame, the more I play PES2021, the more I realize how much we needed a proper PES2022. It's a fantastic installment, don't get me wrong, but there's so much wrong with it that, if they had just fixed it on a next generation PES2022, it would've been perfect. I feel that nothing shows off the flaws in this than a rival/derby match, and if you're on anything above Regular or Professional difficulty, it gets 10x worse... it can really feel like a chore, especially the defending, no one marks properly, the CPU just skips the midfield with a few passes, the striker receives free, turns and shoots, their accuracy for shooting is superb, on the slim chance you manage to get near one of them on the ball, before they make a pass to someone who's free, they'll just shield it, and you won't get that ball no matter what, you can try to press with another player, but then they'll just make a ridiculous pass as if they have eyes on the back of their heads, of will get a foul... and the referee is so poorly programmed here, I wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't for one single, and pathetic, thing in this, the CPU free kicks. It's just like PES2012, if it's a direct free kick, they'll score 9 out of 10, and the few that miss either hit the bar or go slightly above it, it's just really frustrating...

I'll often suffer hard tackles and slide tackles, and they might kill me, but it was on the ball, so it's not a foul, but then I'll often do a tackle, on the ball, and it'll be a free kick, and more often than not a goal. I'm trying to get used to Top Player, but rival/derby matches make Top Player downright miserable to play, but if I play on Professional it becomes a bit too comfortable. It's not just these matches though, these issues are present everywhere, it's just that the lower the difficulty, the less they are a bother, or even noticeable. CPU free kick accuracy, inconsistent fouls, too much space, no proper marking, no real interceptions.

It bothers me too because I own PES2018, and a lot of the flaws here aren't there, it sort of feels counter intuitive to have a yearly titles where flaws are put into it instead of taken out of it. Here it's way to common for my teammates to stumble onto one another, for my FUMA passes to select the wrong player, for the player switching in defense also never going to the player that it might make more sense to become even when using the right stick, for me to not intecept a pass even when it's going right through my selected player, I managed to intercept passes often in PES2018, but here it feels like it was programmed for it to not be a thing, players don't stretch their legs to stop the ball. I really wish we could've gotten a proper next generation PES2022, with better colors/lighting like in PES2019 or better, a UI that doesn't feel amateurish, a more interesting midfield battle thanks to proper marking, for the CPU attacks to vary, and free kicks not going in 100% of the time, a better referee and fouls that feel consistent, and of course improved modes. I know a lot of people are happy with this installment, mostly PC players with mods, but for console... it's a shame it ended here, this was good, but flawed, and there won't be a next PES to fix it all...
The solution for CPU free kicks , unfortunately is:

L1+R3 to move the cursor to GK, and position him properly to save the FK.

Or hit the button to make the wall jump, IIRC it's :circle:

The GK cursor method has 95% success.

The wall jump has 80% success rate, cause some FK are over-scripted.

I know it sounds very unrealistic, but if you let things to destiny or AI, the CPU can be lethal with 10/10 direct free kicks.

Last edited:

What derby matchup are you playing and is it in the context of a friendly game?

Reactions: MKC

I know it sounds very unrealistic, but if you let things to destiny or AI, the CPU can be lethal with 10/10 direct free kicks.
I've been trying to make the wall jump, but it feels hit or miss, I suppose this GK method is the way to go. Thanks!

What derby matchup are you playing and is it in the context of a friendly game?
A few Brazilian league derbies mostly, since they're the ones I grew up watching, I play both friendlies and cups.

I could play a derby match, that is, playing on PSN stephwheeler5. Do you consider default squads H2H a derby?
I don't really play online, don't even have PS Plus to be able to actually, so I'll have to decline, but I appreciate it.

A few Brazilian league derbies mostly, since they're the ones I grew up watching, I play both friendlies and cups.
Cool, I will give Flamengo versus Fluminese a shot soon. Just out of curiousity to see if there are any good games in that matchup, and if so, how to get there.

As far as I know you cant play online anymore because the servers have been terminated. Or do you know something I dont?
The same i know. Online is impossible since servers are terminated. And from my understanding, PS Shareplay is also impossible, since the game is not available on PS store.

Aww, I feel a dumby.
I subconsciously non-sequitur my playing eFootball in the wrong thread. Sorry PES 2021 only, which goes to show how seemingly dispersed the community might be.

In trying to win a viable match up with like-minded gamers, I already posted on the requisite 'tournament' forum for matchmaking. Just playing the waiting game is the way to go as this wonderful community slowly livens up. And of course posting in correct threads! *apologies*

Aww, I feel a dumby.
I subconsciously non-sequitur my playing eFootball in the wrong thread. Sorry PES 2021 only, which goes to show how seemingly dispersed the community might be.

In trying to win a viable match up with like-minded gamers, I already posted on the requisite 'tournament' forum for matchmaking. Just playing the waiting game is the way to go as this wonderful community slowly livens up. And of course posting in correct threads! *apologies*
I see, no problem. I have eFootball downloaded on my PS4, from what I can remember it's one of the few titles where you don't need PS Plus to play online. I suppose I could play a few matches, it should be fun, are you on PS4 or PS5? I don't recall if they've implemented crossplay just yet. Have you been able to find a lot of matches here? If you're struggling, due to Evo-Web in general not being all that into eFootball, the r/eFootball subreddit could be a decent choice, though I'm not sure how their playstyles often are, but I assume it's a bit more end to end, meta based, fast fingers football... of course, I could be wrong too.

True.
I found that the very best way, is to control the GK, and move it immediatly to the most obvious side of the goal (just choose were you think the CPU will shoot and place the GK right there). Then, as soon as the CPU starts running to the ball, move the GK to the opposite side of the goal. CPU will shoot 100% directly to the GK. There are just a handfull of situations were I conceded a free kick, and some of them were by a change of trajectory because the ball hits the wall.

Been playing PES 2021 on PS4 solidly now for 3 years. I often think when I start up the game that Konami must still receive metrics telling them how many people are still playing this and other old titles. You'd think if you were them you'd get the eFootball single-player experience out to market pretty damn fast. I'd be a Day 1 purchaser and probably all the other single-player diehards would be too. The reason this isn't happening is probably one we like the least – that they won't dilute their multiplayer world and PES 2021 really is the end of the line.

Still, what a swansong! '21 is now easily my most-played PES in history, and I never thought anything would beat PES5.
same here!!

I loaded up an almost year old ML save and didn't really remember anything I had been doing. I was Gerrard at Genoa, they were idling at 6-7th or something in mid season and for some reason I had fallen off. So I checked my offers and saw I had one from Roma. Jumped over there and started to "exploit" the loan system where you can get pretty big names on loan if you give them enough money. And Roma had a lot. I had Kane, Messi, Mané and Firmino among some others.
But the thing was, it was just dreadfully boring. Maybe in some part because I wasn't doing terribly well, but mostly I was just not feeling it at all. Got 5th place in Serie A and then cheated to win the Europa League, had to reload to get over Dortmund in the semis. Now, I never cheat like that but this time I wanted to ensure I would get some offers to be out of there in the summer. My favorite two players from that half season were both original squad players with fairly low stats.

So I get an offer from Gent in Belgium, and I get over there, pronto. And yes, I did a lot of buys on a fairly low budgets and yes I did get many loaned players. But that's fine if you want to get through a season and boy has the fun factor been multiplied. I am having a way better time playing these 70-80 rated players than I did with my big players squad. Even after a loss it is hard to put the game down. PES 21 still got that old magic buried under there.

I loaded up an almost year old ML save and didn't really remember anything I had been doing. I was Gerrard at Genoa, they were idling at 6-7th or something in mid season and for some reason I had fallen off. So I checked my offers and saw I had one from Roma. Jumped over there and started to "exploit" the loan system where you can get pretty big names on loan if you give them enough money. And Roma had a lot. I had Kane, Messi, Mané and Firmino among some others.
But the thing was, it was just dreadfully boring. Maybe in some part because I wasn't doing terribly well, but mostly I was just not feeling it at all. Got 5th place in Serie A and then cheated to win the Europa League, had to reload to get over Dortmund in the semis. Now, I never cheat like that but this time I wanted to ensure I would get some offers to be out of there in the summer. My favorite two players from that half season were both original squad players with fairly low stats.

So I get an offer from Gent in Belgium, and I get over there, pronto. And yes, I did a lot of buys on a fairly low budgets and yes I did get many loaned players. But that's fine if you want to get through a season and boy has the fun factor been multiplied. I am having a way better time playing these 70-80 rated players than I did with my big players squad. Even after a loss it is hard to put the game down. PES 21 still got that old magic buried under there.
Don't wanna disappoint you, but the manager offer system is far more simplified than you thought.

It is basically, a team from a league that at that given time is in the same league position as you, sends an offer.

So let's say you are 4th in Italy, no matter if you win the intergalactic cup or nothing, you get offers from the 4th team of Belgium/France/put random country.

Strangely enough, the game takes into account your reputation and performance as a manager, when you sent a request to a team to coach them.

Last edited:
What is amazing to me is, even though they have a rivalry mechanic, you'll receive offers from a rival. Why in the world would I leave United for City or Liverpool? Can you imagine the reaction if that happened in real life?

What is amazing to me is, even though they have a rivalry mechanic, you'll receive offers from a rival. Why in the world would I leave United for City or Liverpool? Can you imagine the reaction if that happened in real life?

Pep himself said he has no problem sending their players to rival, lol.

Yeah he was sacked so it's still different that what I'm saying. At the end of the day, as slamsoze said, the system is a simple one. And rather random at times. As are some of the managerial changes. They sometimes bring me a chuckle lol.

Still playing vanilla version and enjoying it. Would updating to version 1.00.07 lose all my edits and saved formations etc..?

Those game tips that pop up when a match is loading, are they available to see and read somewhere in the menus of the game? I have a vague memory from some other PES game (maybe 2015) that you could go into some menu and scroll through them one by one but I can't seem to find that anywhere in 2021.

I know most of the tips are pretty obvious but every once in a while something interesting pops up but before I read through it the loading screen is done:RANT:

If not in the game maybe on some website? I tried to google it but no luck.

Those game tips that pop up when a match is loading, are they available to see and read somewhere in the menus of the game? I have a vague memory from some other PES game (maybe 2015) that you could go into some menu and scroll through them one by one but I can't seem to find that anywhere in 2021.

I know most of the tips are pretty obvious but every once in a while something interesting pops up but before I read through it the loading screen is done:RANT:

If not in the game maybe on some website? I tried to google it but no luck.
I think the only place you can find the whole list is in game. Pause the game and go help and you get the command list and all of the tips there.

Back
Top Bottom