Best active goalkeepers

Buffon, Casillas, Cech and Akinfeev. If in the Russian league did not pay so much money am sure that he would have made ​​a good career in the big club.

Neuer, Buffon, Casillas, Hart, Cech

You know what i want to write do you ? So i'm not gonna write it.

Something other. I've been a GK myself and i still coach and train my youth team. The fact that GK's like Buffon seem less god and also the fact that very good ones like Neuer make mistake now and then could be the consequence of the balls that are used nowadays.
IMO these balls have very strange trajectories. Take Ronaldo's free kick in the match against Dortmund yesterday. Weidenfeller didn't even tried to catch that ball. 15 years ago (or even less) it was impossible to take free kicks like Ronaldo and Bale do. The trajectory of the ball is very inpredictable, scoring with a free kick nowadays seems to have a random element (i know that is exagerated because Bale and Ronaldo do it often).
IMO nowadays it is much more difficult to be a GK than 20 years ago.

Totally agree gerd! Like Alaba's goal against Juventus. I found it very weird how the ball took that strange deflection. GK's always complained about some of these balls, the 2008 euro one mostly.

For me, like Kanoute, I rate Handanovic very high. He is very special. I follow Serie A mostly and him and Marchetti, along with Buffon, have been really good for years now.

yeah good point Gerd... this modern balls are indeed a frigging nightmare, as their trajectories are so weird and unpredictable....
... also (and i'm not talking about goalkeeping now, but about actually playing with your feet) i don't know about u guys, but i find it much more satisfying and rewarding to play with the "older balls"... they were heavier and i feel like they gave a better "feedback".
just give me a good old "tango" and i'll have the time of my life :))

Zeem said:
For me, like Kanoute, I rate Handanovic very high. He is very special. I follow Serie A mostly and him and Marchetti, along with Buffon, have been really good for years now.
oh shit, how could i forgot marchetti!?!?! he's probably the only one who deserves to be mentioned alongside handanovic and neuer as best under 30 goalkeepers out there.
the fact that we forgot to even mention marchetti makes me realise there are probably so many more names we're forgetting about.

You know what i want to write do you ? So i'm not gonna write it.

Something other. I've been a GK myself and i still coach and train my youth team. The fact that GK's like Buffon seem less god and also the fact that very good ones like Neuer make mistake now and then could be the consequence of the balls that are used nowadays.
IMO these balls have very strange trajectories. Take Ronaldo's free kick in the match against Dortmund yesterday. Weidenfeller didn't even tried to catch that ball. 15 years ago (or even less) it was impossible to take free kicks like Ronaldo and Bale do. The trajectory of the ball is very inpredictable, scoring with a free kick nowadays seems to have a random element (i know that is exagerated because Bale and Ronaldo do it often).
IMO nowadays it is much more difficult to be a GK than 20 years ago.

You want to say that you've overcome your irrational dislike of Hart?

You want to say that you've overcome your irrational dislike of Hart?

As a matter of fact, i genuinely like Joe Hart. If somebody would ask me about players i like, there is a big chance Hart would be among the 5 players i like most.
Hart has something that few football players have and that i really like. He genuinely seems to enjoy playing matches. Hart always has a big smile, loos eager to play...
Compare this to a player like Rooney (and lots of other good players) who seems to play with an enormous anger.

Is Hart a bad GK ? Not at all, he is good, but IMHO he is not as good as lots of people think.
I would never mention him amang the very best GK's.
But who am i ?

Apart from that, he seems one of the nicest guys you can find among high profile football players.

oh shit, how could i forgot marchetti!?!?! he's probably the only one who deserves to be mentioned alongside handanovic and neuer as best under 30 goalkeepers out there.
the fact that we forgot to even mention marchetti makes me realise there are probably so many more names we're forgetting about.

Thoughts, opinions of Mattia Perin?

Thoughts, opinions of Mattia Perin?
very impressive kid, freakishly talented. however, at this stage in his carreer, he's still nothing more than a promising youngster (pretty much like courtois). he might develop into a world class keeper.... but it's still way too early to tell. afterall viviano too was a very promising youngster, and yet he became nothing more than mediocre\decent keeper.
it's a good thing he's playing in serie a, for if he were in any other league, by now he'd already be way overhyped.

however i heard rumours some top clubs are already after him.... imo it would be a terrible time for him to step up. this is only his first season in serie a and his shoulders aren't wide enough (yet) to carry such responsibility and pressure.

they were heavier and i feel like they gave a better "feedback".
just give me a good old "tango" and i'll have the time of my life :))

Tango is the best footy ball ever made. It feels great, weights the perfect weight, behaves as you would expect it to. Good for strikers and goalkeepers as well. I still have one at home. I hate modern balls. Too unpredictable, too balloony for me. We're getting old.

Saturday, i played football with the fathers of my son's yout team. It was the first time in almost 18 years i played serious football (in goal) and i feel knackered...now i know how an 80 year old must feel.

But i also played as GK with those "modern" balls...most shots i had to punch away saturday, i would have stopped 20 years ago... It's a coïncidence that a couple of days after my post about new balls i had to play as GK...the difference is huge.

I agree with both of you about the Tango.

PS: i'm getting very old. I was by far the oldest player
PPS: we lost both matches: 7-0 and 2-0 and according to my son (who is of course biased) i was my team's best player...
PPS2: today it feels as if i've wrestled with elephants...didn't kno it had that much muscles, every single one hurts terribly...you should see me walk.

Saturday, i played football with the fathers of my son's yout team. It was the first time in almost 18 years i played serious football (in goal) and i feel knackered...now i know how an 80 year old must feel.

But i also played as GK with those "modern" balls...most shots i had to punch away saturday, i would have stopped 20 years ago... It's a coïncidence that a couple of days after my post about new balls i had to play as GK...the difference is huge.

I agree with both of you about the Tango.

PS: i'm getting very old. I was by far the oldest player
PPS: we lost both matches: 7-0 and 2-0 and according to my son (who is of course biased) i was my team's best player...
PPS2: today it feels as if i've wrestled with elephants...didn't kno it had that much muscles, every single one hurts terribly...you should see me walk.

It's so depressing. I played in a third-tier amateur league match a couple months ago - after years of only indoor 'pick-up' play. I'd forgotten how big a pitch is (and no where near pro size) and how long 90 minutes. 15 minutes in I was absolutely floored, had to slow it down to a depressing pace.

Really makes you appreciate just how fit the pros are - particularly full backs and wingers.

Re: Keepers - nice to see De Gea was voted into the PFA team this year.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see De Gea in this team, there might have been other GK's in it (Begovic, Mignolet) but i think he deserves it as much as those others.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see De Gea in this team, there might have been other GK's in it (Begovic, Mignolet) but i think he deserves it as much as those others.

In terms of talent - De Gea is probably the most talented of all goalies under 25! Playing in national team + MU will give him a huge amount of experience. For me he is going to be best goalkeeper in the world, not now but very soon :))

Back
Top Bottom