Best active goalkeepers

gabe.paul.logan

Retired Footballer
7 January 2007
Budapest
Hungary
Just curious...and honestly doubt that because some players play for rich, good clubs that makes them one of the best gk's.

Now Vorm, Bogdán and Neuer comes in my mind as participants in this contest.

How about you?

Last edited:
Buffon is still the best keeper in the world in my opinion, and has been for a decade or more.

There are many good keepers out there though, many more than "usual" in my opinion.

In no particular order and excluding injuries...

• Adler
  • Buffon
  • Caballero
  • Casillas
  • Cech
  • Courtois
  • de Gea
  • Guzan
  • Handanovic
  • Howard
  • Krul
  • Lloris
  • Mandanda
  • Mignolet
  • Neuer
  • Reina
  • Sirigu
  • Valdés
  • Vorm
  • Weidenfeller

If you exclude Reina and Valdés from that list, I agree totally. I'm not saying they're poor, but they're a liability and have been for a while. Could argue that de Gea fits the description as well, but he's somewhat excused by his age.

I's say Neuer he's been this regular since his Schalke days but no one really took notice till that United game, now he's got the fame and gets more of the spotlight you can see how easily he can handle the pressure.

I have to mention Caballero, Courtois and Sirigu as well great goalies too, Cech could've been the one if he hadn't take that nasty injury few years back.

every time one of u mentions sirigu i die inside, just a little bit :CRY:
still can't believe we sold him for 4 millions.... that's just wrong.

not in any particular order, just how they came on to my mind:
Pletikosa, Buffon, Casillas, Cech, Mandanda, Neuer

If you exclude Reina and Valdés from that list, I agree totally. I'm not saying they're poor, but they're a liability and have been for a while. Could argue that de Gea fits the description as well, but he's somewhat excused by his age.

They are easily two of the best keepers in the world with their feet. Reina is someone I've always rated highly, but I feel that he has never gotten the praise he deserves from the media since coming to Liverpool. He has been excellent, and now that he's hit a bit of a rough patch over the last two years, people want the club to get rid of him, which is absolutely ridiculous! Valdés, while a bit unnerving at times, is a pretty much a field player playing keeper because of how comfortable he is on the ball. He is the best distributor of the ball of any keeper in world except for maybe Cech.

not in any particular order, just how they came on to my mind:
Pletikosa, Buffon, Casillas, Cech, Mandanda, Neuer

I think Pletikosa is a pretty good keeper, but he's subject to a mental lapse here and there, which is why I didn't include him in my list. However, I never felt that he got a fair chance to prove himself at Spurs.

Buffon is still the best goalkeeper in my opinion, followed by Casillas and Neuer.

Dunno Buffon has been pretty inconsistent these past couple of years, he sort of mixed the bad with good in terms of performance but peoples seem to remember him only for the best ones.

Caballero, Weidenfeller, Neuer, Casillas, Courtois, Buffon, Valdes, Cech.

not sure about De Gea, but i think he should be there as he might be champion of England tomorow...

In the prem over the last 6 months of so it's been Lloris, de Gea and Cech. All having very good 'half-seasons'.

Buffon did cost Juve pretty heavily in the CL, so not sure you can say it's a great year for him.

Neuer must be doing something pretty special, Bayern's defensive record is ridiculous.

I know you guys don't follow the Portuguese League but Rui Patricio has to be in that list. Guy has been phenomenal this season (in all fairness, in his last few game he went a bit down but nothing to concern), Sporting fans call him 'Saint Patricio' in a reference to Saint Patrick the Apostle of Ireland.

As for the best goalkeeper right now, I will go for Manuel Neuer.

I didn't mention De Gea, because IMO he will be a fantastic GK, but just like Courtois he isn't as good as the other ones i mentioned.

Other very good GK's: Begovic, Handanovic, Mignolet, Jaaskelainen, Howard, Sirigu...

Valdés, while a bit unnerving at times, is a pretty much a field player playing keeper because of how comfortable he is on the ball. He is the best distributor of the ball of any keeper in world except for maybe Cech.

Reina deserved to be mentioned as one of the bst keepers in the world two years ago, now he's nothing special.

Valdés has many good sides, but actual shot stopping isn't one of them. He's a poor shot stopper at times, and for me it's irrelevant how good he is at distributing the ball and act as a passing alternative defensively, I actually prefer keepers to make the saves they're supposed to. Once they get sloppy on the shot stopping, they're no longer "highly rated keepers" in my opinion. A mistake here and there is forgivable, but Reina and Valdés have been consistently average in that area for a long while.

Valdés has a minor excuse though, the Barcelona defense has been pathetic lately, which helps expose Valdés' weaknesses.

Buffon did cost Juve pretty heavily in the CL, so not sure you can say it's a great year for him.

What did Buffon do that cost Juventus?

Did he forget to mark players?
Did he fuck up the offside line?
Did he lose the ball when the team was unbalanced?

If it's the "infameous" shot against Bayern you're thinking of, then it was far from a blooper. The shot deflected off a defender and got a mad curl/direction change.

Last edited:
I would go for Neuer the guy its really great , than I would say Caslias , Joe heart too , I think Buffon has lost his touch in last season's , I would say he's not as good as before !

atm the best one is handanovic for me. (not meaning to be a hipster, I do rate him that high)

as for the overlooked ones, spartak moscow's dykan and shakhtar's pyatov also are pretty decent goalkeepers. also interesting that nobody mentioned diego lopez here, who has been pretty solid ever since he came back to madrid.

tbh, I never rated weidenfeller and this season valdes and casillas have been really poor as well.

atm the best one is handanovic for me. (not meaning to be a hipster, I do rate him that high)

that doesn't make u a hipster, it just emphasizes the fact that u follow serie a closely. if there were more serie a followers in here, u'd probably see a long list of posts with one name alone (and that name would be handanovic).

buffon is not the Godly goalkeeper he was until 2 years ago. there has been a dip in his performances (probably due to injuries and aging), wich led him to commit a few blunders every now and then. having said that, i'm pretty sure his blunders over the last 3 seasons were still far less than neuer's blunders (and i'm picking neuer, as he's undenyably a top class keeper today).
practical example; let's imagine a 33 years old messi would miss 30% of the scoring chances he produces today. 30% is a pretty big number and would certainly make messi far less "good" than he is today..... but it would still leave him among the very best scorers on the planet.

buffon has been for over a decade on a ridiculous ("messi-esque") performance standard, wich made him simply uncomparable to pretty much any other goalkeeper (the only one who got close to him was casillas). today instead he is "just" a top class keeper, wich means that, over a short span, his average performances might be worse than some other top class keepers. for instance (in my opinion) over the last 2 seasons, handanovic has been a better keeper than buffon.

as for the other names i read in here, i'm not so sure. casillas isn't even playing at the moment, so it's hard to tell. Lloris, begovic, cech, caballero, and valdes are great keepers, but saying they're on the same level of buffon, handanovic and neuer is a bit of a stretch imo.
as for de gea, sirigu, mignolet and curtois, they're all very promising young keepers and in my opinion comparing them to the likes of buffon, handanovic and neuer would be just wrong (and also unfair, as they still have margin for improvement). also i should mention that i haven't been able to follow sirigu closely since he left palermo, so i couldn't even really tell how good he is right now

nowadays i don't watch as much football as i used to, but i get the feeling that, whereas the average level of goalkeepers raised substantially (there seem to be far more good keepers today than 10, 15 years ago, especially outside of italy), the top class standard dropped a little bit..... meaning we have some top class keepers today, but they wouldn't stack up well against "past top class keepers", such as buffon, peruzzi, toldo casillas, schmeichel or pagliuca, for instance.

Last edited:
Why no1 mention Akinfeev :) He is pretty good goalie.

De Gea is probably one of the most talanted youngsters. Handanovic is also pretty pretty good.

as for the overlooked ones, spartak moscow's dykan and shakhtar's pyatov also are pretty decent goalkeepers. also interesting that nobody mentioned diego lopez here, who has been pretty solid ever since he came back to madrid.

tbh, I never rated weidenfeller and this season valdes and casillas have been really poor as well.

Dykan yes (Great perfomance on weekend derby) Pyatov not so much :/

Buffon, Casillas, Neuer, are the best. I've never been a fan of Valdes as he's always been shaky, same as Hart (English press put him onto those pressures and those faults, but he's not that great)

Akinfeev is great, but I don't see enough of his matches to really say if he's consistent. I used to think that Frey had a bright future as a top keeper, but that didn't follow through...

In terms of young keepers, i do hope de Gea does become a top class keeper.

i have to voice for cech it's impossible to recover from such a calamity but he can just look at dida....
also buffon is a phenomenon

Back
Top Bottom