Tranmere Rovers
7345.jpg

Publisher: Bohemia Interactive
Developer: Bohemia Interactive
Genre: Tactical shooter
Player(s): Loads probably, I dunno
System(s): Xbox Series S/X, PC
Release Date: 2022

Couldn't find a thread for this, so here we go.

The beta was released in 2022, but version 1.0 was released in 2023:

I loved the beta but couldn't get too into it due to the bugginess and fairly low player counts at the start.

Version 1.0...

I played it last night with @jaygrim and others, and I had some of the best five hours' worth of gaming in my life.

Sneaking in the dark to take over camps, build radio towers, meet up with allies and take larger objectives...

Absolutely incredible game.

If you haven't been back to this since version 1.0 launched, give it a go - and if you have any hints/tips for us absolute noobs, please let us know.

• Staff
Our fella evo web member @Placebo had made this thread in the past. https://evoweb.uk/threads/bohemia-interactives-enfusion-engine.89526/
about the new BI enfusion engine.
Arma Reforger is more a test platform for this new engine then a real complete game. But yeah it is playable and makes real fun to play. And very good mods are out there too.
Ah yeah, but, that was a thread for the engine - not this game (even if it's not Arma 4, it's a really fun release with a huge map and an army of modders doing crazy things with it)...

Our fella evo web member @Placebo

And resident Bohemia shill ;)

It's my 20th anniversary of joining Bohemia in May, crazy!

I played it last night with @jaygrim and others, and I had some of the best five hours' worth of gaming in my life.

Sneaking in the dark to take over camps, build radio towers, meet up with allies and take larger objectives...

Absolutely incredible game.

One of you should record some footage, would be a lot of fun to watch! :)

That actually sounds fun. I do want to try playing something like this. Not really sure how to get into it when I don’t have any gamer friends.

Is Reforger worth for single player?
There is a single player element in the Game Master mode:

But there's no single-player campaign or anything like that, as Reforger is really a (fairly advanced) beta of Arma 4.

Personally, I would struggle to play a single-player game without a campaign mode to advance through, but if dynamic, varied scenarios on the same map are enough for you, you might have some fun with it.

Personally, I've not been this addicted to a game in a long while. I'm absolutely hooked. And that's without exploring the modded servers out there (which are available on the Xbox as well as PC).

Honest question, what's the "pick up and play"-ability of this? I'm assuming it's about zero, but just interested in some feedback. I've never really played a game that as in-depth as Arma, but always fancied giving them a bash.

Honest question, what's the "pick up and play"-ability of this? I'm assuming it's about zero, but just interested in some feedback. I've never really played a game that as in-depth as Arma, but always fancied giving them a bash.
Myself and my team (four in total) are absolute n00bs. We are not serious sim gamers. That said, we all hate what Battlefield / CoD is now (i.e. no-thought-required sugar-rush 100mph "action" that's incredibly boring to us all).

We've been playing for a few days and it's taken us that long to get into the basics. It's not taken weeks or months. I'm sure we'll get better but in terms of "pick up and play", what we need to know in order to contribute/win, we've got a handle of now.

There's not much in it for "lone wolves" (bases have bots defending them as well as the opposition, and you simply have to work together to achieve anything) - but when you're disciplined about it, it's so much fun. Ridiculous fun.

Just be prepared to have very little info - there's no magic radar/HUD, you have to figure out where you are using a map and local landmarks (or if you're lucky, street signs).

Oh, also, don't be in a PlayStation/Xbox "party". Speak through the game's chat system, or you'll miss out on half the fun (and being able to speak to other squads and team up to take on bigger objectives).

This video (from just this week) explains everything you need to get started:

In a nutshell... Pick a team, make a squad for yourself and your mates to join, give them the team/squad name/spawn point (so you're all placed together).

Then, look at the map (hold right on the D-pad), pick your nearest objective, set it as active (which informs everyone on your side that someone is dealing with it and they should head somewhere else).

Spawn a car at the vehicle depot of your base, and drive off into the sunset (with one of your teammates reading the map for you as you drive and giving you directions - you can't look at a map and drive at the same time, and there's no map HUD).

Pull up somewhere short of the objective, get into the tall grass, and crouch/crawl all the way there, taking out the bad guys as you go. If you make it to the objective alive with enough teammates, congratulations - you've captured your first objective!

Myself and my team (four in total) are absolute n00bs. We are not serious sim gamers. That said, we all hate what Battlefield / CoD is now (i.e. no-thought-required sugar-rush 100mph "action" that's incredibly boring to us all).

We've been playing for a few days and it's taken us that long to get into the basics. It's not taken weeks or months. I'm sure we'll get better but in terms of "pick up and play", what we need to know in order to contribute/win, we've got a handle of now.

There's not much in it for "lone wolves" (bases have bots defending them as well as the opposition, and you simply have to work together to achieve anything) - but when you're disciplined about it, it's so much fun. Ridiculous fun.

Just be prepared to have very little info - there's no magic radar/HUD, you have to figure out where you are using a map and local landmarks (or if you're lucky, street signs).

Oh, also, don't be in a PlayStation/Xbox "party". Speak through the game's chat system, or you'll miss out on half the fun (and being able to speak to other squads and team up to take on bigger objectives).

This video (from just this week) explains everything you need to get started:

In a nutshell... Pick a team, make a squad for yourself and your mates to join, give them the team/squad name/spawn point (so you're all placed together).

Then, look at the map (hold right on the D-pad), pick your nearest objective, set it as active (which informs everyone on your side that someone is dealing with it and they should head somewhere else).

Spawn a car at the vehicle depot of your base, and drive off into the sunset (with one of your teammates reading the map for you as you drive and giving you directions - you can't look at a map and drive at the same time, and there's no map HUD).

Pull up somewhere short of the objective, get into the tall grass, and crouch/crawl all the way there, taking out the bad guys as you go. If you make it to the objective alive with enough teammates, congratulations - you've captured your first objective!
Really well explained Chris! :TU:

Thanks to the spring sale Steam/BI finally pushed me to buy Reforger and I am really impressed.

I've been a fan of OF/Arma series since childhood and the first Operation Flashpoint (Driving past the Bohemia Interactive offices every day helps :)) ). I have had each OF/Arma game. And even though I am not the multiplayer guy I am really impressed how smooth Reforger is.

All OF/Arma games are amazing but we all know that moves, animations were not really smooth but seeing in Reforger all things as moving over obstacles, jumping, being able to lean your weapon on any surface, driving, everything works smoothly on such a BIG scale. I don't think I've ever seen something like this in any video game. And performance wise no issues at all, I think it runs better than Arma 3 on my PC.

I was a bit surprised that there is no AI team control and no map editor, I took it for granted for Arma games and that was my mistake that I didn't check it in advance :D

Overall very good, hope I will find some more time to play some proper multiplayer with voice comms since it is so immersing. Can't wait for proper ARMA 4.

Thanks to the spring sale Steam/BI finally pushed me to buy Reforger and I am really impressed.

I've been a fan of OF/Arma series since childhood and the first Operation Flashpoint (Driving past the Bohemia Interactive offices every day helps :)) ). I have had each OF/Arma game. And even though I am not the multiplayer guy I am really impressed how smooth Reforger is.

All OF/Arma games are amazing but we all know that moves, animations were not really smooth but seeing in Reforger all things as moving over obstacles, jumping, being able to lean your weapon on any surface, driving, everything works smoothly on such a BIG scale. I don't think I've ever seen something like this in any video game. And performance wise no issues at all, I think it runs better than Arma 3 on my PC.

I was a bit surprised that there is no AI team control and no map editor, I took it for granted for Arma games and that was my mistake that I didn't check it in advance :D

Overall very good, hope I will find some more time to play some proper multiplayer with voice comms since it is so immersing. Can't wait for proper ARMA 4.
Mission Editor is at the tools not ingame like all 4 games before. But had not try it yet. :))

Back
Top Bottom