Any decent DivX/XVid players out there?

rockykabir

hello
30 March 2003
London -> New York -> San Francisco
Liverpool FC
I'm looking to buy a media player to play all my media. Ideally, I'm looking for something that will:
  • Play directly from my external HDD
  • Play directly from SD cards
  • Play HD quality media
  • Has Component and/or HDMI output
  • Can be networked to my PC/Mac
  • Play a good range of formats
I was, like all sheep, looking at the Apple TV. It's a shame it can't play most decent formats as it covers most of my requirements. Do you guys have any personal recommendations?

HD Quality media....! That is the 64K question really!

What kind? x264 TV and HD-rips?

Mmmmm... the thing about the Mac Mini is how to control it.

The remote can only be used on FrontRow and that doesn't play a lot of codecs, you will have to use like VLC Player, which doesn't use the remote.

Like you, I am looking for somehting for my TV.

I think I will most likely build my own PC, waaay cheaper than a MacMini, about £350 :) And it can easily play everything, and I can use my remote!

Unless you know more than me about the Mac Mini and its remote use?

And for the Mac Mini, you can just use a DVI -> HDMI lead, and just input audio as well. Thats only if your TV accepts audio from another source to be used with HDMI if you get what I mean.

EDIT: If you have an amp/external speakers than thats okay.

You can enable Front Row to start from the beginning.....and use remote to control.

I regularly watch DivX on Frontrow with the xvid plugin for Quicktime. The only problem I can see is with WMV files (that are DRM'd - regular WMV files play fine apparently).

I was gonna build a homemade media player....but background noise is problem :( - how bout using bootcamp on the Mac? :D

Backgorund noise? I am sure you can build a dead quiet one easy! I just helpt built a normal PC for a mate for home use, and its silent.

You can buy good fans that are silent.

Bootcamp, yeah! That is cool, as long as you can configure an external IR remote, because I kinda doubt the iRemote will work on XP, but it might?

Back
Top Bottom