Album recommendations

Just bought a tremendous good album. A sort of alternative sound track for Pirates of the Caribbean.
An album called "Rogue's Gallery" produced by Hal Wilner and performed by various artists. The songs are traditional pirate ballads, sea songs and chanteys (work songs used by seamen during rigging the masts etc). Some artists who sing on this double CD: Nick Cave, Gavin Friday, Bono, Antony, Richard Thompson, Joseph Arthur, Lou Reed, David Thomas, Lucinda Williams, Bryan Ferry, Ed Harcourt, , Stan Ridgway, Van Dyke Parks, Jarvis Cocker and Lou Reed.

Hal Wilner is really something special. He produced albums for the likes of Lucinda Williams but is best know for his thematical albums where various artists cover different songs. I've been a fan of this man for over 15 years. Uptil now he has done albums with music from: Nino Rota (the man of the soundtracks from Fellini's movies and the only album i never found), Thelonius Monk (crazy jazz pianist), Kurt Weil (the composer who put music on Bethold Brecht's lyrics), Walt Disney movies soundtracks (Tom Waits singing a song from Snowy White!!!!), Charles Mingus (jazz bass player) and now pirate ballads and sea songs.
All these albums are great...

I think Joost will love this album.

I'll check it out gerd, sounds like fun. I'd like ro recommend the Old 97's. They write fun songs, easy to listen to. I think some of you might like it.

Morning Runner - Wilderness is Paradise Now

thanks to fifa i got this one - some very nice tracks on there.

Jay-Z - Kingdom Come :D

Check out tracks like Beach Chair with Chris Martin, Minority Report with Ne-Yo, The Prelude, Lost One with Chrisette Michele and of course Show Me What You Got! 8)

Last edited:
Downloadable at I-Tunes: the Bridge School Concerts.
84 live performances by artists like Neil Young, Wilco, Tom Waits

Orphans three magificent CD's by my favourite artist: Tom Waits.

Farewell to the World - the last Crowded House concert in Sidney (great band, one of the best live bands i ever saw - i have 4 live bootlegs by them...terrific stuff)

Downloadable at I-Tunes: the Bridge School Concerts.
84 live performances by artists like Neil Young, Wilco, Tom Waits

Orphans three magificent CD's by my favourite artist: Tom Waits.

Farewell to the World - the last Crowded House concert in Sidney (great band, one of the best live bands i ever saw - i have 4 live bootlegs by them...terrific stuff)

damn there making the bridge school stuff avaialble, shit, stan check out anything by a band called "Tea Leaf Green" you can find them on archive.org

Not sure if anyones mentioned it, but the Black Parade by My Chemical Romance is awesome, as the the Crane Wife by the Decemberists. Though they're very different beasts...

Damien Rice - 9
Hundred reasons - Kill Your Own
Kasabian - Empire
+44 - When your heart stops beating
Oasis - Dont beleive the truth

yeah, he was killing it on The Shining... should be sick. The real hip hop! Not this sing-bling-laffy-taffy-wick-wack-shitter-window shopper shit they passing off as rap music.

Also, check out Talib Kweli's mixtape, BlackSmith Prod. featuring Jean Grae, Phil da Agony, Krondon, Xzibit [All three as the group Strong Arm Steady] and other underground heavyweights.

Nas - Hip Hop Is Dead ... burner!

yeah, he was killing it on The Shining... should be sick. The real hip hop! Not this sing-bling-laffy-taffy-wick-wack-shitter-window shopper shit they passing off as rap music.
LOL!
Also, check out Talib Kweli's mixtape, BlackSmith Prod. featuring Jean Grae, Phil da Agony, Krondon, Xzibit [All three as the group Strong Arm Steady] and other underground heavyweights.
Yeah i've got that mixtape!

Jean Grae is sick, have you heard her on a song called Exclusive (produced by 9th Wonder)?

BTW if you want to get the latest mixtapes check this site out www.getrightmusic.com It's updated like everyweek and the guy even uploads old mixtapes from the 90's

-

Also have you heard the new Clipse album (hell hath no fury)? The album is really good, which surprised me. If you ain't got it, i'll recommended you listen to it, you won't be disappointed!

Last edited:
LOL!

Yeah i've got that mixtape!

Jean Grae is sick, have you heard her on a song called Exclusive (produced by 9th Wonder)?

BTW if you want to get the latest mixtapes check this site out www.getrightmusic.com It's updated like everyweek and the guy even uploads old mixtapes from the 90's

-

Also have you heard the new Clipse album (hell hath no fury)? The album is really good, which surprised me. If you ain't got it, i'll recommended you listen to it, you won't be disappointed!

Wamp Wamp, what it do? ;)

Slayer - Christ Illusion.
Just got this and it's a return to form. Lombardo is back and doing the writing again. Reminds me of seasons and south of heaven.

Our love to admire - Interpol
Era vulgaris - Queens of the stone age
Zeitgeist - Smashing Pumpkins

And if you can listen to the gift by the velvet underground its fucking cool.

Back
Top Bottom