2K FIFA?

kamy100

Premiership
9 June 2003
Blackburn, UK
There have been rumours for the last 12 months that 2K will be working with FIFA on a new football game, now one of the more reliable leakers is also suggesting that it is going to happen, this is the guy who correctly leaked the new Sonic Generations game and Metro VR:

I hope that it is true as more competiiton can only be a good thing.

There have been rumors on this for a while since they also opened a Studio in Vancouver probably with the target to get some people from EA.

So far the rumors differ: some think it might go in a Sim stage since as far as I remember they also got one of the former gameplay guys from EA while others think their main focus might be an Arcade approach going into a similar place like they did with NBA2ks Player Career and all those bells and whistles with Microtransactions galore, Skateboards and so on.

I'm pretty sure (and it breaks my heart to say it) that the days of any kind of realistic football games (outside of indie developers) are over.

Well and truly over.

When you see the money being generated by EAFC - record-breaking figures every single year - and then you read interviews with those involved in the game and the wider industry (who don't talk about football any more, only how to make the broadest audience happy and how to keep Ultimate Team players "engaged")...

Don't get your hopes up, because all current devs have that mindset (even outside of football games - everything is formulaic). Why wouldn't you do that, when you need to make enough money to survive? Especially as a new game where microtransactions may keep you going.

Slight off-topic:
In the last six months, I played in an EAFC tournament and a PES6 tournament. In person, with friends. It shocked me, the difference between the two.

Everybody was so miserable playing EAFC. Every game, the comments were "how is this so easy", "there's no accomplishment in doing anything in this game", "I'm not even trying and it's 6-6 at half time", "you can just blast from box to box", "this is so far from football", "this is so boring" and a very genuine desperation to finish. It felt more like a job than a game. (Score as many as you can, then log off.)

But PES6... It started out with "why are we going to play this", "this will have aged so badly" ... and within minutes, the OOHS and AHHS came (which is when you know everyone is invested, and absorbed, in the game). Because nothing was gifted to you. You absolutely HAD to concentrate - especially if you were a poor side - and sometimes you'd do everything right but still miss the target (which made it all the sweeter when finally managing to score).

PXL-20240203-132828146.jpg

PXL-20240203-214428339.jpg

PXL-20240203-220234132.jpg

The difference between the two, especially when playing with poor teams/players, was absolutely astronomical. Which you can only assume is because of the development idea that nobody wants to be frustrated by having players who don't perform every pass/shot with 100% accuracy, with no control over it. Which is just... Such a shocking state of affairs.

That's why it breaks my heart so much that we'll never have a truly great multiplayer football game ever again. I know plenty of people who are still craving it...

...but we're all over 30 and don't play Ultimate Team, so nobody cares.

I wish we still did those tournaments from time to time.
We used to do them regularly with PES and then with FIFA (especially 14, but I definitely remember me playing also in FIFA 16 tournaments and in a FIFA 20 one too, during the autumn of 2019) but we don't do them anymore since the Covid outbreak.

The only thing we still do (and it's the only reason I'm still playing FC 24) is Clubs now.
Is it realistic? No, by no means. Is it fun? Yes, if played "right" (not caring about the meta but just to have a laugh with old friends) it is.
I know people almost obsessed with the "meta" who told me "you'd have to build the character this-and-that way" but I'd rather stop playing than bending to the "build-a-player-with-the-right-meta" nonsense.

Sorry for the OT.

Back on topic, I also think that 2K will have to earn as much as possible in order to cover the expenses of the FIFA deal, and the easiest and quickest way to do that would, of course, be to use a "let's almost clone UT and see if people fall for it" approach.

So I also don't see any joy for us offline players even from the new game (should it ever pretend to cater to the offline crowd, a thing that isn't to be assumed).

Last edited:
That is amazing Chris, I did something similar last year with some friends and it was a blast, we started the tournament playing Fifa 23 but after the group stages just gave up on it and fired up PES and after the initial 10 minutes of readjusting we all loved and the lattar half of the tournament was amazing and we will be doing the same again later this year!

I don't have much hope for the 2K game, if you look and the NBA 2K the microtransactions are even worse that FIFA, I just hope the gameplay is good.

Back
Top Bottom