Your likes and dislikes so far...

uk_stanners

Conference
3 October 2003
N.Ireland
Ok, i'm sure nobody likes the slowdown, so it doesn't need to be repeated i don't think, but what other things are you liking and not liking about the game so far?

for me,

+the ball feels a bit more realistic
+Northern Ireland are half decent!!
+The return of the option to chose Spanish Commentary, just for fun!
+online looks a lot better now, just need to get it working right.
+ long throws are better

DON'T LIKES:
- as i write this, my game has been on the now loading screen before a match for 5 minutes!
- The referee's whistle, seems to be louder than the crowd when there is a goal, and it blows instantly as soon as the ball crosses the lines, or there is a challenge, needs a bit of a realistic delay.
- Also i don't like how we know have to wait for the whistle for longer, to take a free kick, i like to be able to go immediately.
- They didn't learn after last years online cock up, to get things working in time.
- Defenses are too easy to break up, even on the top mode.
- The new how many in the wall option, just put about 7 in there, makes things very hard! not think it's really needed. And u can just empty it against the computer, they rarely shoot.

Even though there are more negatives, i am enjoying this game, i dont notive the slowdown anymore really. But i am annoyed that my ps3 has now crashed, and feel like i have bought a good game, but don't think it is right to buy something that feels unfinished. I would happily have waiting another few weeks, if they could have sorted this out.

Last edited:
i agree with the referees whistle blowing for a goal, i keep thinking im offside because he blows the whistle so quick. also some seriously poor penalty decisions from the ref, great if your given the penalty......not so if its against you. the example of this is i just played a dude online and he ran over my defenders leg about 3 seconds after his shot and the ref gave a penalty! GOD DAMNIT REF! lol

anyway a plus, i scored a beautiful goal with drogba and i noticed that he was on his weaker foot, but chose to use the outer boot of his stronger foot instead....which ive never seen before on pro evo, so nice.

oh and another negative....the main screen is awful i think. i like to see all the options available. but thats just a little moan. overall its good. just a real shame about the problems with slowdown. konami should hang their heads with shame for releasing it in this state.

like - cpu outs together nice moves.
hate - easy to dribble along the sideline the length of the pitch.

too tired to think of more, but the game gets better the more you play.

Played quite a few matches now.

* Ball feels about right, I like the spin and zip yu can achieve
* Shooting feels good
* I like the referees and linesman actions too
* I like the graphics tbh. Alot more than I thought I would
* Hard one to explain. I like the sense of achievement when the ball flies past the keeper. I think it's alot more emphasised in this version than previous
* I like the style of the nets. Could be graphics again I guess
* Menu. I dunno why, it just feels fresh ans somethin screams Football manager @ me. Dunno why either. Lol

Dislikes:

* I don't like most of the music in game, especially that goal song sung by what sounds like the girlfriends of Son of Dork
* Commentary is upto it's usual standard
* I don't like the amount of times the keeper parry's the ball, think it could be better balanced
* Refs whistle (good point)
* Streetfighter sound when yu bump into a player
* Easy way to score a goal and when yu know it, it's temptin to use use it which takes some fun outta the game

Last edited:
My couple of points

- Agree about the graphics, very nice very slick
- I like the graphics for formations and such like, very sleek
- I very much like the keepers parrying the ball more, instead of the unrealistic Cech plucking the shots from thin air, although I think it puts a lot more emphasis on set pieces taking more corners in a game.
- The referee showing the cards is much better.
- I like the fact that when the goalie rushes out and can do a stupid tackle on the player he seems more likely to be sent off (although I lost Van Der Sar)
- The first touch if you run onto the ball is even more realistic it just zips off somewhere, and the ball bounces around and flows over the pitch much nicer.
- Controversal one - But I like the commentry, I think its because I've only heard it a few times, it will soon get repetiative I am sure, but so far its quite nice.

Dislikes:
- In game music is not that fantastic sadly, but it doesnt matter as you dont spend so much time in the menus
- The frame slowdown issue is annoying
- The diving is a strange one, has anyone got anything other than a yellow card for diving yet?

Its a great game, the more I play it the more I enjoy it, and two player games are great!

+ everything about the gameplay just feels right (although it is a bit too fast to be realistic)
+ commentary isn't great but its definitely an improvement

- edit mode is rubbish. Can't edit team logo's and kits can only be altered with PS Eye or other usb camera
- framerate, not too bad in game but very bad in replays
- online is unplayable until they release the patch
- graphics could be better
- ref blowing whistle too early
- music

more - than + but for some I'm just being picky, I love the game even though it has some flaws

The penalty's are atrocious. Wierdest camera angle imaginable. Can't understand how Konami thought it would be a good idea to implement.
Other than that, gameplay is quite solid

Oooh I forgot about the penalties. I did plan on sayin that, nice one. Not sure if it's the same for everyone, but even takin the penalty aint good, it's almost in slow motion.

Hate : Online lag / World tour not present / CRAP music / Graphic are a shame for a PS3 game in high resolution

I'm not sure what I like for the moment, the gameplay is suiting me, we'll see in a couple week if I really like it or not XD

+ The Soundtrack, it's so bad it's actually funny. Football SOCCER, Football SOCCER, all around the world hey Hey hey!!!, and theres that other one that sounds a bit like Scatman!
+ The gameplay is actually ok

- The bugs such as choppy replays - feels like konami rushed this out for Xmas.
- Edit mode is better on the PS2 version in a lot of ways. Why one step forwards two steps back Konami???

Last edited:
one possible glitch i noticed, it seems if you keep doing successive drag backs, on after another, in multiplayer you are prevented from going to make the tackle? i'm not sure if this always happened but a few times i have done it, and can't be tackled.

- Although most complain, I like the new speed of PES2008. OFC if you play holding R1 all the time the game seems like an arcade game, but the new engine actually allows you to take advantage in a much more realistic fashion changes in pace during the game. I just played a fantastic match Marseille v Monaco which just drew me right in. Played possesion football and scored from a nicely worked set play. My manual passes were often met with great AI runs which were never possible in previous version. The CPU's desperation started to shop as when they finally did get the ball they were shooting from 30-40 yards, firing way over the bar.
Next match against Bordeaux was quite different however. With Chamakh upfront they played at a much faster pace I had to adapt my play and hit them on the counter attack with Cisse taking it to them.
-The graphics are much more finished than that of previous version as you would expect, so from a PES perspective Im very happy but as a PS3 owner I am a bit disappointed.
- The player animations are much more fluid and smooth, with players stretching for balls and quick flicks making the game feel much more immersive.
- When FK occur and cards are issued the cutscene doesnt come in straight away and you see the ref issuing the card before it in some cases. Not a big thing but a nice touch.
- Defending was much harder initially but now I find it a nice challenge. When defending now I find myself having to be very alert and much more switched on than when on the attack. Pick when and where to tackle seems to be much more important and a welcomed change in my view.
- The commentary is MUCH improved imo, not just in what is actually being said but the flow makes it seem more realistic, although you do get the odd out of place comment as in previous versions.
- Generally gameplay seems a lot more random, like when balls go loose or tackles near the touchline, the same outcome isnt expected everytime like in PES6.
- I like how you stats are tracked and you get your rating for socring, creativity and defense etc etc and also have all those crap awards to try and obtain, like scoring 10 hat tricks etc.

Dislikes:

- I have always been a great fan of doing my own editing, so this new version is a complete let down in this respect. You would think that when you have a lack of licensing, poeple being able to combat this through creating their own life like kits etc and 'compeleting' you unfinished game would be welcomed.
- The ref blows his whistle far too quick for goals and such
- The removal kit selection from leagues etc is just baffling to me, my marseille monaco match was quite confusing when it first began as the back of monaco's kit is almost all white so when their player ran up it was quite hard to differentiate between my players and theirs. Also related to this would be the in ability to change just the shirt, shorts, socks on their own when the kit selection is actually avaialble
- The obvious framerate issue as I always liked to watch replays of my fantastics skills :P Although luckily for me this and cutscenes are the only real place this is an issue. During gameplay it very seldom for me.
- Online play currently is like watching a match drawn in a flick book but with 20% of the pages missing...
- The expansion of the ML...Before it was possible to play a realistic EPL, La Liga etc by putting crap teams you know would never get promoted but with the expansion to 20 teams in league B theres bound to be a few get through every season or so. Also the in ability to place the created teams in the league really cuts down on the options available as to how you would like to setup your ML experience.

As regards the diving, I managed to get the opposition player booked once! ^^
My opinion on it is mixed as diving is a part of the game now unfortunately. From a gaming perspective though, I could see this being exploited online somehow through bugs etc etc...I dunno, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Dislikes:
- Too easy to break com defence
- Too arcade on this series
- Crossing the ball is too easy to score
- Frame rate is worst on replay

+ Ref, Linesmen, Players animations. Enjoyed it when I saw the manager patting the subbed goal scorer on the back.
+ Gameplay to me is superb. Really enjoying my games.
+ I just love it that I'm able to play this game in English as I live in Asia, so region free gaming FTW.
+ Commentary seems improved over past experiences.

Dislikes

- Can't change a club's emblem
- Pixelated crowd
- Lack of detailed stats available after the game or for the players during league mode.

I'm not sure about the next two points but I can't seem to be able to include cup matches when playing a league mode even though the option is there in the menu, but it's greyed out.
Secondly, I can't seem to register a player to an international side. J Cole and Hargreaves aren't in the England squad. Am I doing something wrong with these two points? Oh I just discovered about the registering players. Phew! That issue is resolved.

Last edited:
Entirely agree- it's like they just changed it for the sake of it when it was fine before.

Entirely agree- it's like they just changed it for the sake of it when it was fine before.

Sorry, forgot to quote earlier response. The above was with reference to the new camera angle for trying to save penalties.

One thing i've noticed is that corners or goal kicks can be given when the ball doesnt cross the goal line- bizarre. I took a penalty, which hit the post and came out- as I was going for the rebound, a goal kick was given. I really dont think that scenario is physically possible!

hey guys i need help i have a Casio exlim and can't scan jpgs to pes 2008, does anybody know what i have to do???solution???

sorry for my bad english and offtopic question

thx for help

Like...
You can put in some decent crosses from free kicks
Powerful centre forwards seem a lot more useful now

Dislike...
Accumulated fatigue is appauling.
the cpu constantly shirt pulling and not getting penalised, this feature is an absolute disgrace, I really have no clue why Konami put this in the game.

Is the music in editing mode that annoying jazzy tune again or have they changed it this time? I remember everyone in the room groaning when I went on edit mode when I first got PES6 and found that the music hadn't changed.

Football, Soccer
Football, Soccer
Football, Soccer
Football, Soccer
Football, Soccer
Football, Soccer
Football, Soccer
Football, Soccer

Aarghh!!!](*,)

It's true that is horrific, the first thing I had to do was remove that from the play list.

One of the things I like is Dinamo Zagreb and Crvena Zvezda in the game, it's nice to have these new teams and those kits are very nice too. I wish there were more Eastern European teams (like Shaktar, Steaua, any Russian clubs) and also Argentine clubs. It's a shame neither PES nor Fifa have this.

i like when after about 100 attempts you finally get the the photo scanning to slightly resemble you without a big black circle in the middle of the face.

my two Cents worth.

+ Graphics I personally think they are ok.
+ Control when dribbling.
+ Computer seems a little more switched on when playing 1 player
+ removal of invisible barrier when ball is in the air for keepers
+ Removal of lots of cut scenes, if they get rid of the rest in the next game I will be really happy.
+ Keepers are a little more consistent.

- Defending is too hard, its easy for the better players (Drogba / Ronaldo etc) to turn inside and score when playing 2 player, especially Drogba who seems to be the Adrianno of 2008.
- Lack of Editing options
- Music / Presentation but I am not that bothered.
- Pace seems all over the place, may time i have go goalside with Owen only to be caught by John Terry / Carvahlo etc, although the same can't be said for Ronaldo / Joe Cole / Wright Phillips. Checked the stats but it doesn't add up.
- Goal shots seem to hit the bottom corner turn around or just past the post too often already bored of that graphic representation.

and my Big Negative.....

Ball Physics - So much better but deflections seem to speed up and the turf doesn't slow the ball enough from long balls etc. The Richochet things drives me mad, it goes off twice as fast as I hit it originally...it just looks wierd.

sean how did u do that with the photo editor?

i just look like a big grey plate, stuck on someones face.

to the other guy who asked, u used a ps2 eyetoy.

Back
Top Bottom