X-COM: Enemy Unknown

bsmaff

International
11 August 2003
Hertfordshire
Exeter City
Firaxis, the developer behind Civilization, is working on XCOM: Enemy Unknown, a 'reimagining' of the beloved PC strategy game.

The President of Firaxis Games, Steve Martin said "It's been a dream of ours to recreate X-COM with our unique creative vision. We're huge fans of the original game and it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-envision a game that is as beloved as XCOM.

"We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-COM fans and newcomers to the franchise."

The game is due to be released on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 this autumn.

The greatest game ever made, is finally getting remade by the company owned by Sid Meier and make the Civilization games.

I really really hope they don't f**k it up and mess with it too much.

Last edited:
Wow, I have fond memories of this game from back in the Amiga days, although it was called UFO Enemy Unknown in Europe.

I'll be keeping tabs on this and hoping they don't piss about with the original formula too much.

Just played the demo and I'll be buying the full version on Friday. Such a fun game and feels like a great remake of the old classic :D

Wow, it´s out on friday???? Didn´t know the demo was out, i loved the original and from the videos it seems a great remake. Gonna try the demo!

Wow, it´s out on friday???? Didn´t know the demo was out, i loved the original and from the videos it seems a great remake. Gonna try the demo!

Out in the middle of October, I just get paid on Friday :LOL:

Demo is on Steam, not sure about consoles?

I have not tried the demo yet, but purchased the full game via steam.
So will get a free copy of Civ 5.

How does it play compared to the original as XCOM is my favourite game ever made and I just wish they have not messed it up too much, as I have a bad feeling about this game because it is also coming out on consoles which means the game will be hugely restricted by what the consoles are able to achieve.

Have just done the first part of the demo, which is the games tutorial.

I must say so far I am pretty disappointed, I done the tutorial and seems like you are going to lose alot more men this time around and seems less tactical than the original game.

Another disappointment is the game has lost all the micro managment, you can't seem to control what is going on as much at the moment. In the previous one you had to sell pretty much everything you picked up at sites and sell them to keep the money up, you could choose how many scientists you had to do research. There was just so much to look after and keep your eye on at all times.

The biggest disappointment for me though is after the first mission and you done the other part of the tutorials you then have to choose which mission you want to do next. One in China and one in America, which for me takes alot away from the original that you waited for an alien ship or terror mission to appear and then deal with it accordingly. I really really hope this game does not follow a mission structure of doing a mission then choosing your next one and playing the game out in a mission based way.

I absolutly loved the original it was perfect in pretty much every way, I liked the fact you had to research different things but only when you capture the technology. The way in which you also had to make sure you captured different types of alien before you could research certain tech and progress the game.

I will see how the main game pans out when it gets released but so far I just feel let down, I really thought Firaxis would really do the original justice, but instead just feels like they have designed the game the way they have to suite the average console player. It is just too dumbed down for me.

The biggest disappointment for me though is after the first mission and you done the other part of the tutorials you then have to choose which mission you want to do next. One in China and one in America, which for me takes alot away from the original that you waited for an alien ship or terror mission to appear and then deal with it accordingly. I really really hope this game does not follow a mission structure of doing a mission then choosing your next one and playing the game out in a mission based way.

That's just for tutorial purposes, don't worry. The "real" game works just like the old ones.

That's just for tutorial purposes, don't worry. The "real" game works just like the old ones.

I hope so, hopefully I will get to see more of the game on Friday.

But not sure if I can attend Euro Gamer Expo on Friday at the moment.

Chris Kluwe ‏@ChrisWarcraft
Well played, XCOM. New patch made my keyboard lighting shift to red during the aliens turn. I peed my pants a little.

:LOL:

Reading the region locking has been removed now?

Ooooh.... interesting! Gonna go fire up the PC...

EDIT: Nope... still shows an 'Install' button if I go without VPN. Trying to launch (clicking on install) says 'this title is valid only in certain geographic locations' blah blah :(

Last edited:
Quick question.

When you get given certain missions, I'd guess you call them storyline specific missions. Is their a time limit on these things? Im not talking about the ones that pop up by scanning like abductions etc.

But what happens if you don't select them and start them and just keep scanning and doing those side missions?

playing on IRONMAN is a MUST! bad decisions really can make we loose an entire unit, already happen to me a couple of times trying to attack alien base.

amazing game, one of the best this year so far!

Back
Top Bottom