WSC Real 09 World Snooker Championship 2009

Tim7

Retired Footballer
6 May 2003
Gravesend
Charlton Athletic FC
I know jaygrim has it and likes it. Anyone else got it, or have played it? I might see if I can get it in town tomorrow. I saw it on eBay for £20, but that's the cheapest I've seen so far.

I've had it on loan from Lovefilm for the last 2 weeks and really like it.

It represents the game really well and is a improvement on previous versions. You have two different control methods real and classic. I like the real method as it gives you a little bit more control, have been able to make some really good breaks.

The career mode is quite good, you have to play all the qualifiers and then move onto the tournament (so long as you qualify). Your player starts of as very low skilled and every match you win gives you a skill point to boost your player.

Good game and well worth renting.

I was wanting to buy it but the Eurogamer review put me off. Reviews don't usually influence me fully but the problems they mentioned are the problems I had with the last few snooker games.

Last edited:
Check out this thread on a real snooker forum: HERE

They absolutely slate it from top to bottom, from around PAGE 8 onwards. I can't believe the commentary is the same as the 2007 version either, I played it that often I know it off by heart. "Two sugars if you're listening Mr. Producer!" "I've got it! The answer to my morning crossword. Grass!" Etc......

Last edited:
Well I didn't play last years version and the last version I played was on the original Xbox so it's been at least 3/4 years! Cheers for the link.

What problems did they mention?

the game is drab and even ugly, with bland menus, rigid character models and sluggish loading times. Interstitial animations of players entering and leaving rooms soon become irritatingly repetitive, as does the twangy Dire Straits funk-rock soundtrack. The commentary by John Virgo, with predictably dull interjections from Steve Davis and John Parrot, is even more distracting, full of bad jokes that you have to listen to every match.

the gameplay engine is only engaging if you're able to line the shot up correctly, and if the game has one persistent obstacle, it's aiming. There are two control types available - Classic and Real - but both are slippery beasts, different only in cosmetic ways and requiring lots of painstaking left and right tweaking on the analogue sticks to get the angle you need. Each nudge sends the shot further askew than you wanted, and given that snooker is all about the angles, anything that leaves the player feeling out of control at this vital juncture can be a serious barrier to enjoyment. Classic controls alleviate this grievance slightly, with a slower targeting speed available by holding the left trigger, but even then gauging a seemingly simple straight line can be a dark art.

there's not much here to justify ditching last year's edition if all you want is the core snooker experience

-

Another annoyance I had with the previous games is the rock hard AI. You miss a shot and the AI wipe the table clean getting amazing shot after amazing shot and then when you eventually get to have another go it's because the AI has snookered you behind the blue and you just have to hit and hope.

Got it in town today. The commentary is pretty dire, the character creation is very limited and the real control system is quite clumsy and annoying...

However, switch it to classic mode and it's brilliant :)). Just like the old one I used to play on the original Xbox. Good times.

I haven't used the classic method but will try it tonight, have been using Real and thought that it was very good for fine tuning shots.

The game on the pure gameplay asthetic is really good. Yes the menus, commentry and load times are shoddy but that doesn't bother me because the gameplay is quite solid, particularly when playing against humans.

The AI can sometimes peev me off as when playing higher ranked opponents they clear up and pull off amazing unrealistic shots.

Me and Jay just had some quality frames :)). Didn't get all the scores but Jay won 3-1. The scores from the last 2 I got:

Tim 77-0 Jay
Tim 43-63 Jay

Nice one Jay, play you again soon!

2009-17.jpg

:LOL: It was a good match mate. We both did some absolutely superb positional play.

Had a quality session just now, made my current highest break as posted above :)). That was in the Grand Prix first qualifying round, which I won 2-0. Then was the 3rd qualifying round and I went 1-0 down as the CPU just pinched the frame from me. But I put together a couple of decent breaks in the final 2 frames and won 2-1. Qualified for my first Championships, which is the Grand Prix. Got not too bad a group, Graeme Dott and Stephen Lee are the two big names in my group. Will be very tough I imagine and just the experience will be good :)).

Sounds good Tim. I am really struggling to get any good breaks despite having this game for 2 weeks, I think that my highest is 30.

Any tips?

You don't need new tips just keep it chalked :COAT:.

It's all about position really. The more you play the more used to the power bar and the various angles and what the most likely outcome of a shot will be. Then it's about choosing the right shot and of course executing it well.

Well I used to have WCS 2005 and it hasn't changed much in terms of gameplay since then, which shows just how bang on they've got it. My golden rule used to be don't play a shot until you've checked the overhead view. Some shots I find you have to line up using the overhead view, long pots that aren't straight in line for example, but yes if I can line up using the normal view I do it like that and then check it on the overhead before I commit to playing it.

I just ordered this, should get it by Thursday - I look forward to giving you some games :).

I just installed 04 (I own 05 as well but I preferred 04) to get some practice in and it was good fun, I got used to the power quickly again (will be different in 09 though) and made a century in my third frame :).

Highest break: 104 (v CPU)

Played my third match in the Grand Prix just now, beating Brian Turner by 3 frames to 0. Got the 104 in the first frame too which pleased me. I almost cleared the whole table but the green was in a very awkward position. I am glad I have won at least 1 Grand Prix match to be honest, all be it against another weak player in our league. Here is my Grand Prix mini league so far:

Michael Holt...............8pts
Stephen Lee...............4
Graeme Dott...............4
Neil Robertson...............4
Tim Edwins...............2
Brian Turner...............0

Some people have played 3 matches and some 4, but you can't tell who. All you can be sure of is Holt has played 4 and won all 4 being on 8 points! Still to play I've got Stephen Lee & Neil Robertson.

I like the fact that in game they have different crowd levels in the theatres. For example me vs Turner isn't a big match and the there was only a scattering of people in the theatre. There were a few more when I played against Dott, and I imagine that when you progress up the ranking and get really high it will be packed out.

More to come tomorrow :)).

This game arrived earlier today - so far i've just been doing the coaching things (completed them) and now i'm doing the challenges on the "Challenges" mode - I just got a 129 on the challenge "Clear up" :D (would have been 136 but I fouled on the black).

I'm enjoying it, but the positional aid seems to make building big breaks quite easy, at least it can be turned off if I start finding I win too much in career mode.

I like how on this you can actually use side spin without it completely fucking up your pot like in previous WSC games :).

I also turned off the positional aid (it makes the game too easy, as Tim said on MSN, it's like playing FIFA on assisted), but I need to get more used to judging the power I need to put on shots, I run out of position too much at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom