Windows 8: Special Offers

The only real offers at the moment are £15 for an upgrade if you pre registered and £25 if you upgrade tomorrow anyway. There is also the £50 upgrade if you actually want the media as well.

Both are digital download only and both contain Windows Media Centre.

I have already pre-loaded my machine is an old HD so I can download Windows 8 then when complete go into the registry and get the license key so then I can just do a load at anytime using the RTM disks I have.

Last edited:
Hmm I never saw anywhere to pre-register at the time which is a shame, but still £25 for the upgrade is extremely cheap and I'm fine with that, even if we're a three license house with the wife having two laptops :)

The £15 pre registration is for people who bought there laptop within the last 6 months.
But I just said I purchased 4 machines within the last 6 months, if I can type the code in and it works great, if not I will have to pay £25 for my desktop.

But the problem is at the moment drivers are very sparse and I will probably wait a couple of months for drivers and software re-worked with Metro in mind.
As it seems only Microsoft programs are fine at the moment with Metro integration.

Hmm I tried that and the only option I'm getting once I've run the upgrade assistant is Windows 8 Pro £24.99?

Ignore that, you simply apply the promo code at the end of the checkout procedure, score!

Last edited:
Hmm it worked once but when I tried again with the exact same information it failed for some reason, and it's supposed to let you register 5 PCs just that you have to do it one at a time?

Do you have to register from each actual PC? That could be the issue, will give it a try.

Edit: Yep that's working fine, obviously it just wants you registering from the actual PC you plan to upgrade to :)

Last edited:
I think it is really good that the upgrade tool allows you to create a USB and DVD from the downloaded image.
It's just a shame I have to use the DVD to install my desktop so it uses GUID instead of MBR.

Last edited:
I have a couple of codes which allow this to be purchased for £15 if anyone wants one.

Just use the upgrade assistant and type in the Promo code.

Yes, I wouldn't go back now.
It is a lot quicker than 7, and once you get pass the initial look and feel of it, it is much better to use than 7.

Same here. Feels quicker and slicker in some way. Also some additional options here and there that I can't quite remember at the moment :P

and once you get pass the initial look and feel of it, it is much better to use than 7.

Looks and feels exactly like Windows 7 for me once I installed "Start 8" ;)

windows8m.jpg

The same for me. And if you want to use the "old" look, I would say: better stay at Win7. A lot of things you have to adjust and install afterwards for Win8 before you can use it as Win7.
If I had a touchscrren Monitor I think I would definetly move on to Win8.

The same for me. And if you want to use the "old" look, I would say: better stay at Win7. A lot of things you have to adjust and install afterwards for Win8 before you can use it as Win7.
If I had a touchscrren Monitor I think I would definetly move on to Win8.

Have you used Windows 8?

Have you used Windows 8?

Yes, I had a trial. First I thought it was awful - as for me the tiles make more sense if using a touchscreen. the classic design was not that easy to configure at first. once i had everything installed and setup to use it like win7 the difference for me was not that big. so no need to spend extra money to move on to win8.

I don't say it's bad, but for my taste win7 i sabsolutely sufficient, and on my desktop pc it's also running smooth and stable.

I still have 1 code left.
This is a FREE code, you just enter it at the end of the Upgrade assistant page.
You will get the Win 8 Pro upgrade for £14.99 instead of £189.99

Thanks for giving me one of the codes, mate.

Got Windows 8 installed and in a serviceable state. While I don't deny that there are genuine performance gains to be had from this upgrade, I must say the new user interface is fucking atrocious.

Installed Classic Shell out of urgent necessity and now the desktop feels a little more comfortable. What MS were thinking with the apps on a desktop is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom