Wii Sports Resort (Wii)

pboreham

Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.
5 August 2002
C*lchester
Southend Utd
I've been looking forward to this for ages, but after mucking around with the MotionPlus, coupled with Nintendo's lack of bringing out many quality games the whole Wii experience for me has become very "meh".

I only use the Wii now for EA Fit each day for a bit of a workout and that is literally it.

Soooo... anyone got WSR and is it any good?

I've read massively mixed reviews and to be honest, it sounds pretty crappy - more like Warioware than a true sequel to Wii Sports (I mean, including Bowling and Golf AGAIN!? What a rip off).

this not for me as i thought the original wii sports was pretty damn boring. After a couple of days playing that game never got played ever again.

As single player games Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort is no good if you ask me.

The Wii is poo single player full stop really

Get a group of you and most games are a good laugh

Had to pop to ASDA tonight and couldnt resist :)

Seems I was too quick to dismiss it!

It would be easy to sum it up as very "nintendo-y", but thats what you get! Very cute, bouncy music, very colourful etc - you know the drill.

Lets get to the crux, the gameplay and how WMP works.

Must say after playing Grand Slam Tennis, I wrote WMP off as adding little to the wiimote - which I felt is already struggling. But in WSR, the WMP really comes alive and reminds me of the (seemingly) 1:1 action of the recent PS3 'wand' demo.

It literally mimicks your most subtle movements 1:1. I've played through all but 1 of the sports (coffee break!) so I'll give you a rundown.

1) Table Tennis: Very impressive and (like a lot of the games on WSR) should open the doors to a genuine 1:1 Table Tennis game. Its very accurate and no more of this "swing and 2 seconds later your avatar does some sort of representation". Its literally, where you move the bat, the Mii does too, so you HAVE to hit every shot (forehand or backhand) as you would in real life. I'm very impressed - you can also add top, back and side spin by making the same real life action.

2) Frisbee: Actually VERY fun. Again, the 1:1 motion is spot on and the authentic frisbee throwing action is required. You have to throw the frisbee to the target (scoring rings in the sand) and your little doggy has to run and catch. Points awarded for catching close to bullseye and height of catch. Harder than it sounds, so bit of depth there.

3) Sword Fighting: Hmmm... technically good as the 1:1 motion is what you would expect. The only let down is its a bit 'waving your arms'. Even though the motions are well detected, it still doesnt translate well to a game, but like I say, technically well done.

4) Wake Boarding: Pretty simple this one, hold the wiimote sideways and tilt to ski back and forth across the wake, jerking up to jump and do tricks. Bit of skill involved ensuring a flat landing.

5) Jetski: Wiimote/chuck held like handlebars, tilt to steer. Nice 'rev' action on the wiimote for a power boost. Again, hope there is some sort of bike game in here somewhere.

6) Canoeing: 1:1 well done here too. Use the wiimote to paddle your single oar in the water.

7) Cycling: Surprisingly enjoyed this - its been getting a slagging in the reviews a bit. Basically, pump wiimote/chuck up down to pedal, tilt to steer and pump fast to sprint. You have a stamina bar, so cannot go crazy and the races are quite long so you have to play it tactically. Best thing is there are 30 in the field, so lots going on.

8) Golf: Again, better than expected. Basically the same as WS, with a couple of twists. One, is the hook/slice now controlled by twisting wrist, not by power. Secondly, 6 courses to play on :)

9) Bowling: Might as well chuck this in next. This one is virtually identical to WS with no real changes besides new shirts for the Miis and a little more accurate on picking up the wrist spin. Shame, but still fun as it was on WS.

10) Air Sports: Only done the free flight so far (is also parachuting and dog fights) but this is well done and though not really a 'game' is a nice diversion and shows off the whole island nicely.

11) Basketball: Another surprise :) 2 games in 1 here, first Free-Throw contest. As it says on tin really, jump to throw from 4 spots - pretty basic. Do that and you unlock* 3-on-3. This is really well done. Basically you 'bounce' the wiimote up and down to bounce the ball - A or d-pad passes to an open team mate. Faster bouncing might give you a little skill move to create an opening and then its B to start a shot and jump/release to finish. Works really well.

12) Archery: Not tried.

* What I like about this so far is the amount of depth over WS. Each sport has a few variations to unlock, making it more than 12 'games' - virtually 24 variations of the sports on offer.

Also, for achievement whores, the game has a 'stamp' system (which are basically achievements) for doing certain things (i.e. Bowling has "turkey", "perfect game", "strike/spare in each frame" etc). This adde s longevity too. I've not got any yet, but I assume these unlock different things like clothing etc?

Finally, local leaderboards are in, akin to Wii Fits boards.

So overall, I am really pleased and would certainly recommend this - especially if you play with family/friends.

As usual, I've jumped in and been too hasty with my first impressions in the review above.

I've played it a bit more now and I am now of the correct opinion that the Table Tennis is absolutely... different gravy! Probably the best 'game' I've played on the Wii ever.

Its so subtle - the PERFECT control scheme. Spin shots, top spin, little drop shots, absolute positioning of your shots - its all here. And on the higher levels, some of the rallies are both breathtaking and very strategic.

Cannot wait to play against another human.

Honestly, even if you only rent it, you HAVE to try this just for the table-tennis.

I've played the rest of the events some more and my thoughts still hold up - a VERY enjoyable package. My faith in the Wii has been restored!

My faith in the Wii has been restored!

:LMAO:

Still not enough to even interest me in this console. I'll wait for the Wii HD with WMP built in. ;)

Actually the Ashes looks like a Wii game, now thats what ya need, Ashes with WMP.

Back
Top Bottom