Why no other company makes a football/soccer game? Your opinions here....

s33k3rgr

League 2
30 January 2005
Athens---->Greece
I put here an interesting issue to talk about here. It makes me wonder how a such popular sport like football doesn't attract more companies except konami and EA. I think its easier to make a good football game if you target a market group (arcade, online sim, management etc)

Also id like your opinion about the possibility for an open source game of soccer. I like programming myself and i was thinking of that posibility. Off course it would require a lot of patience and good targeting of how to make the game.

Me myself i like the recent iterations of Fifa (09 and 10) and i play on manual/slow only. I used to play Pro Evo in the good old days.

No licenses.

Well they are expensive, sure. But remember the good old days of Pro Evo and Iss. Nobody cared about how the teams were called back then. Its the gameplay that matters the most.So i cant find an excuse on the licences.

I think the companies should act smart and focus theis target to a specific audience. For example Fifa has Online Team play, right? What if a company release a game of soccer where there is no AI players involved, no management part only online lobbies where players can play eachother in 3v3, 5v5 or 10v10 matches in small, medium and large pitches. As you can imagine such a game would require only perfect animations (like fifa), good online capabilities and a well structured levelling system for the players growth-differentiation.Do you believe that such a game if it was good wouldn't attract many many players that got bored of Fifa's or Pro-Evo's glitches and want a pure on the pitch football action??

The weak link in footy games, as far as I'm concerned, is the AI. FIFA09 online 10v10 is what kept it going. I gave up on playing against the cpu almost immediately. FIFA10 is not really much better.

I'd love to play a game where it was 10v10 humans, with a pure physics model and no AI intervention at all, no attempts to simulate "mentality" or control the flow of the match in any way...pure human control.

And then far more effort can be put into revolutionising the control systems so that players have far more scope to play a range of passes and shots, the power, elevation, direction, spin, etc. At the moment, you press a button and the computer basically decides what happens.

FIFA has lifted a lot of ideas from PES and has basically copied exactly their control system, albeit they've added some degree of manual play now, but essentially, it's a dated idea of what control to allow us. It needs someone with imagination and ingenuinty to completely rethink it. There's just so much that you can't do with the current control system.

Winston you are spot on. I don't play against the AI or manager mode either. My concern is whether companies are aware of the possible evolution of a game like Fifa or Pro Evo.

Well strange thing also is why someone doesn't make an alternative game of football.Arcade like. Like Sega's Virtual Striker. What a game that was?

Do you imagine Virtual Striker combined with football manager?? Its both Sega's games....

Licenses are indeed a big issue.
I have PES2009 on PSP and after having played FIFA09 i'm fed up with changing names, kits e.a....
I haven't got the faintest clue about programming but i think making football games is not that easy. If you see that recently publishers like SCEE and Codemasters tried football games and gave up after a few attempts...
I'm not sure if 2k sports can win a lot by making a football game.

I think it's because everyone is too afraid. If someone spent years making a new football game that had a cool new idea or game mode you just know that EA would copy it and add it to Fifa. They all know how many copies Fifa sell and know that they don't stand a chance with casuals who just want the licenses and razzle dazzle that comes with Fifa.

PES had something to build upon coming from the ISS games which has a fan following already. As PES grew it survived on it's critical acclaim and so no matter how bad their sales were they always could pat themselves on the back and make another football game knowing that 'in reality, their game was better'. Back when PES came we had Fifa with it's over the top arcadey style and a ton of cruddy football games all following in fifa's arcade path. PES brought something different on the pitch that Fifa could not replicate until they were allowed to rebuild their football game engine for next gen.

If someone else brought out a football game now they'd be competing with much more than just 'licenses'. Fifa now pretty much has PES style gameplay mixed with their older licenses driven razzle dazzle. Which is what football fans dreamed about.

Due to licenses, cost of development and the actual market shares and prospect of sells, it would only be possible in a next-next-gen scenario, given a big company such as 2k decided to invest 2 years or more to develop a football game for the new platforms to compete with something new, fresh and take the opposition wrong-footed, as EA did to PES in the current gen.

In this gen, it's already impossible to gain such a big marketshare that compensates the investment.

I'd settle for a new Virtua Striker. Or, even better an HD version of...

super%20sidekicks%203-1.gif

Super_Sidekicks_3.jpg

YouTube - Super Sidekicks 3 (Neo Geo)

Always had a bit of a soft spot for those unashamedly arcade interpretations of football. Sometimes the realism of PES and latter day FIFA can't match the colourful sprites of yesteryear.

I'd settle for a new Virtua Striker. Or, even better an HD version of...
super%20sidekicks%203-1.gif
Wow, a Virtua Striker game for PC (even a simple port of VS2 or, even better, VS2002) would be something like a dream to me..
I'm still playing the good old VS2 via NullDC and, guess what, it is pure fun.. It doesn't matter if it's arcade, it's still joy to play :COOL:

PS: You mentioned "The Next Glory".. You don't even know how much time and money I spent playing with both "Super Sidekicks 2" and "The Next Glory" (probably SS2 more than TNG, if I don't go wrong in SS2 you could even slap the referee in the face if you were shown a yellow :P)

I actually would love to see a "HISTORY OF FOOTBALL" series, let's say the 80es. You start in 1980 and have a 10 year go to rewrite that era...you can get signed up for other clubs and have an option to pay wc and continental competitions.

How awsome that would be.

Always had a bit of a soft spot for those unashamedly arcade interpretations of football. Sometimes the realism of PES and latter day FIFA can't match the colourful sprites of yesteryear.

Me too. I spent too much time playing ISS Deluxe and Striker on the SNES back in the day, and tons of football games on the Amiga.

I would still play ISS Deluxe on the SNES with my mates as recently as a couple of years ago.

Why no other company makes a football/soccer game?

Cause you lot would slate it for silly things like net animations, untucked shirts, rain not wet enough, snow too white...

Seriously though, money and licenses which has already been said.

Why no other company makes a football/soccer game?

Cause you lot would slate it for silly things like net animations, untucked shirts, rain not wet enough, snow too white...

Seriously though, money and licenses which has already been said.

Must agree there.

footballsuperstars is a football mmo also... but is lacking quality still :(

swos > *

and yeah, for another software house to come up with a footy game it would be hard to make fanboys (like me) try it and leave their PES/FIFA...

Back
Top Bottom