Why did you became a fan of your favourite club?

Favourite Team:
AC Milan

Reason:
My dad is from Milano and has been a Milan fan since he was a kid. During my life we moved around a lot (Hong Kong, Toronto, Bangkok etc.), so my dad always made extra effort to watch Milan games. He also bought me a Maldini shirt and would always go on about how Maldini is Milan's captain. So at about 11, I got my first Milan jersey and was idolising anything Maldini did during WC 98'.

In 99, I began to watch Milan games and discovered players like Bierhoff and Weah - Weah became my favourite striker. My second football jersey is a 3rd kit George Weah top that I wore everywhere.

As I got older, I continued to watch as many Milan games as possible. I've had sad times and great times with Milan.... I was do destroyed after La Coruna 04' but I was in heaven after Crespo and Kaka at Old Trafford (05' and 07'). I also remember the tennis derby of 6-0, where I was jumping around like a crazy kid. And the 4-2, 3-1 and Euro derbies where Shevchenko scored that crazy goal.

I've seen many players come and go, great ones and not so great ones - Shevchenko, Kaka, Bierhoff, Maldini, Costacurta, Albertini, Dida, Cafu, Guly, Helveg, Chamot, Laursen, Contra, Commandini (he became a DJ... formerly the Derby king) etc. They are all part of my Milan lifetime.

What I'd do for Milan:
I watch every game possible. If I was living in Milan, I'd try to go to most games. For bigger games, I go to Bar Italia in London to get a bit of atmosphere and to watch it on Italian TV. I will never stop supporting Milan and will ONLY support Milan.

i enjoy so much reading amazing stories here really great idea .... i have one more idea about this thread maybe one 4th question like "Milanista" said about jersey ... like when u get 1st kit of what it was what team or something like this ....

Favourite Team:
Galatasaray

Why did you become fan of that team?
My dad favorite club is Gala and when he watched the matches, I had to watch all matches. I started to recognize myself, Gala is best team in the world. (I'm talking about 99-00 season so we won the UEFA Cup.) For the Turkish club, this is only miracle. Then I started to watch all the matches and I took very much pleasure. For now I'm trying not to miss matches and when I see yellow and red, my heart beats faster.

How far would you go?
Just single sentence. "We can achieve everything."

Galatasaray is special team. I went to see them play in Istanbul once, this is my best memory of athmosphere in football

What is your favourite team?

Real Madrid

My first memories of football were World Cup 1994, I was 8 years-old ..
so, I began to follow international football, we had a weekly program in our TV wich braodcasts highlights from european leagues ..
I admired Real Madrid playing, also, the atmosphere of every match in Bernabeu through the TV made me really excited ..
Also, Real Madrid is Class, noble values, great style, a culture in football ..
also I was a fan of some RM players like Laudrup, Zamorano, the new talent Raul, .......
and since that time am a pure Madridista as if I'm from Spain ..

How far would you go?

If God gives me money, the first thing is visiting Bernabeu, and watching some matches there ..
but, for now, I watch every single match for Real Madrid, the first websites I open are Real Madrid related ones ..
Even if I don't watch TV like before, but, most of the time I watch RMTV ..

Celtic

With my Dad being a Celtic fan, enough of the stuff was around the house and that's why I became a Celtic fan. Although as a youngster I wouldn't say I was overly obsessed with Celtic, and actually a lot of my friends were Rangers fans and people assumed so was I as I didn't really prance around in the Hoops. Supporting a football team never really kicked in until probably until around mid to late 80s.

My first Celtic game was at Parkhead, can't be sure of exact dates, but must've been around 81 or 82 to watch them play St Mirren, think we won 3-1, my Dad took me along with my cousin (who is actually a Rangers fan). However I didn't really start going regularly until our centenary season in 1988, although had been going a few times prior. Went regularly to Parkhead after that as the addiction grew and got a season ticket book when we were bought over by Fergus McCann. Continued going until I believe 2004 when I was getting married and needed to prioritise the cash to save up, so that went. Never renewed since then, went to the odd game but now prefer watching on the tele.

How far would you go?

Whilst I believe myself to be an avid fan, I wouldn't say I would go into debt or the likes to watch them, whilst I attended every home game (away games was quite hard for tickets, but would go whenever we got in the ballot) and we had the great run to Seville in 2003 I never went to Seville, whilst a lot of fans put themselves into debt to go over, 10's of thousands who also knew they had no chance to get a ticket. I never did due to finances.

In terms of going out of business, well we were supposedly hours from folding. Thankfully that never happened. Should they go out of business I wouldn't support a team as much as I do, possibly some team may have arisen to take their place, but wouldn't have been the same or support with the passion I do.

FD

Favourite team: Newcastle
Reason: They came to my home town in 2004-ish. This turned out to be the first game I ever watched. Then the second game I ever watched was also them against some Israeli team in the UEFA Cup.
How far would I go: I've really grown into supporting the team, I stay up every Saturday at midnight watching them on shoddy internet streams. I would love to go to Newcastle someday...
Business-wise, I guess it's already happening in a way with the fat man Ashley in charge!

I love Barca the most. But I can't remember exactly why. I love blue, and when I was a little boy, I like every team has blue color in their shirt (Barca, Chelsea, Inter :P ). The first Barca's game I watched was UCL 99-00 quarter final: Barca vs Chelsea. You guys must know about it. We were defeated 1-3 in 1st leg, but when we back to Camp Nou, and after 120mins: 5-1, we won. I don't remember every goals of that match, but the thing what stick in my head (and actually the best thing of football I ever know) was that Barca's supporters wrote "2-0" very big in Camp Nou seat, it was gorgeous. I didn't pay really too much attention at football after that, but Barca became my most consideration. And after Rivaldo stroke a hat-trick in Valencia net in the last round in 00-01 season, I realised I have to be a "Culé". And, well, I never have to regret. Barca's style, Barca's history, Barca's supporter...everything was more than perfect. And above of all, Barca's slogan: Més que un club speak everything.

I tried to watch every single match of Barca, but it's very difficult now. We don't have Liga BBVA license and if we want to watch it, we have to pay too much money. It beyond my control. Anyway I followed every Barca's step, and I will try to earn as much money as possibble. Who knows, some day, before I'm gone, I can visit Camp Nou once, and watch Barca play by person.

Vietnam, amigo. 2, 3 years ago, watching La Liga was free, but now, it's not like that anymore. There is a exclusive organisation around here, and since they lauch satellite Vinasat, they have license of all best football league in the world: EPL, Serie A & Liga BBVA. They shared only EPL (and only the games in Saturday, not Super Sunday) because of people's reaction. But they know that there are many people would love to watch Barca & Madrid, so they keep it for themselves and force us to buy their service to watch Liga BBVA. I know it's development, but Vietnam is developing country, and this policy is not suitable at all. :(

Last edited:
The first Barca's game I watched was UCL 99-00 quarter final: Barca vs Chelsea. You guys must know about it. We were defeated 1-3 in 1st leg, but when we back to Camp Nou, and after 120mins: 5-1, we won.

Yes that was awesome! my first european magic night. I went to the stadium for the first time to watch this game, i was 10. I remember every goal like it was yesterday, Rivaldo 1-0, Figo 2-0 after kluivert post...chelsea scores in the second half and when the match were ending Dani heather into the net :WORSHIP:, i also remember Rivo misings a penalty before the ET and then scoring another one.

Actually I still watch Barca's matches via Sop Cast. But there were many bugs and they drove me crazy...

Since I'm here, I'll go for it.
Favourite team? Naturally AC Milan.
Reason? Well, there are multiple reasons. First one, my father's favourite team is AC Milan. Even though he's from south Italy (and I've spent most of my teenage years near Salerno) he was in love with the team, thanks to Gianni Rivera he says. I started to support Milan but not seriously, that happened after a UEFA Cup game, when Milan won 3-1 against Borussia Dortmund failing to qualify. I was impressed by the strenght the team had, by their performance and how they were near to the goal against the odds (As some of you may remember, Milan lost 4 - 0 the previous game against the germans). After that game, I finally understood I was a Milanista above all things and above all the other teams I meddled with in my youth (Being: Borussia Moechengladbach, Salernitana, SS Lazio and Sampdoria), because it's the only team that can make me rage after an incosistent performance or joy after a victory, all the others couldn't.

Hey Milanisti, where are you guys all from?

I'm from Hong Kong, but I'm half Italian, and moved away when I was 12, what about you guys? I think we have a pretty international bunch :D

Favorite Club:
Cruzeiro and Everton

Reason:
Cruzeiro - My family (Noce) was part of the founders of the club, so its pretty obvious that my father, gandfather etc are huge fans of the club...Im a vivid supporter, i buy season tickets and also i go to every single match at home and some away too.

Everton - In the middle 90's I felt in love with those early saturdays(here in brazil)EPL matches ESPN used to broadcast, EPL was not a big league here in Brazil as the only forenge leagues we used to care was Spain and mainly Italy.. EPL matches quickly became my favorite program to watch, so as i felt in love with the league i started studing the clubs one by one so i could start rooting for one, when Everton's turn came it was as if i was choosen by them, i imediatly felt in love with the club and didnt evan bother to study the next club LOL.

I think the first reason was problaby the fact of their uniforms be exactly the same as Cruzeiro, but than i started studing the history and that was it... one of the few Evertonians in Brazil was born!
My life's dream is to go to Goodison Park to wacth a match but still havent had the chance($). But im sure ill soon, my deadline is the stadium move, maybe when they announce that it makes me do some crazy stuff like selling my car and flying to england asap for the next home match hehehe.

FC Red Star Belgrade / FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd

My family always supported Red Star,it's our greatest football club.We won the ECC and my favourite colours are red and white! :D

How far would you go?
'till the end!
"Zvezda je život,sve drugo su sitnice!"
-Red Star is a life,everything else is pennyworth!

No prizes for guessing my team but I was at the cup final on
my Avatar , the Centenary Cup Final.The match programme cost 15p!
Glory Days.

Team I support: Pretty obviously Barcelona.

Why:
I was born in Barcelona. My whole family, friends, environment, etc... are supporters of the club. So it wasn't a surprise.

I was born in the 70s, and being a child I had collections of photographs, autographs of the players, shirts... I went to the stadium regularly even being very young, so yes I saw Cruyff playing, though I don't remember practically anything (it was free-cost to bring a child under 6 years to the stadium then).

At the age of 10 more or less, while Maradona had the leg broken here at Barcelona, I entered the Barça youth team. I played for 2.5 years and it was like a dream. Our training grounds were just next to the Camp Nou, and we had our showers and changing rooms INSIDE the stadium, next to the first team rooms. It was absolutely amazing to use the same corridors as our stars back then.

When Barcelona won the 85 league (Venables coaching), the youth teams did a show on the grass just before the match, so I was there, in the grass of the Camp Nou, in a stadium that was crowded with 120.000 people (back then, before having seats everywhere). It was incredible. My legs were shaking. It was noisy, flags everywhere, flashes, lights. People cheering us... What else can a child dream of?

It was in TV and I have it recorded: myself at the grass of the Camp Nou, with my Barcelona shirt and my teammates, just next to the first team celebrating the league. Having lived through this, it's hard not to have the club in your heart the rest of your life.

Obviously, I wasn't good enough as a player (I was the usual Barcelona product: skinny, with vision and quick of mind. But lacked legs and lungs, to put it brief). So I didn't make the cut to the 13 years teams (that was the 2nd important cut). A young guy called Pep Guardiola did. I remember him in the training facilities because he was such a great player, a year older. I never played with him, but for some reason I remember him. Well, I remember also 4 or 5 incredibly gifted boys, but they never made it.

I've been going to the stadium all my life and I've watched my team at many stadiums too, when I was younger. Now that I have an accomodated life, I have my satellite Tv...

As some of you may know, the club had very deep political simbolism during dictatorship in Spain. So our relationship with the club goes beyond that of a sport club. It's something that it's part of our culture as catalans and identity as a nation (even being part of Spain) in a very big way.

Sometimes it's hard for people to fully realize what it means the motto "Més que un club". It's related to our culture (we are frequently attacked for being different), our identity and our language and our fight for freedom during those black and obscure 30 years of dictatorship. And did it through a lot of sports, not only football. We have teams of Basketball, Handball, Roller hockey, Athletism, Ice Hockey and Indoor Football. I watch a lot of youth teams play when it's possible. I like the atmosphere of childs playing football. It feels pure and maybe reminds me of my youth playing there.

But modern times, different times. Right now all the "Més que un club" motto is a litle blurred and really I don't think the new generations feel it like my fathers did or I did myself when being a child. Though it continues to be one of the pillars of catalan culture. I'm not kidding here. There's a lot more expectation for who's going to be the next Barcelona chairman than that for the next Catalan Government president! Our best definition now it's in the style of football we play, the idea of playing with young boys from the youth accademy and our taste for offensive football, always caring the ball. Thanks Cruyff for that (and rinus Michels too). He truly changed our history and he's a true genius of the sport.

Other clubs I'm, fond of:
I lived some months just in front of old Highbury (Elphinstone road). I watched Seaman there! And it started my love for Arsenal. I have shirts, caps, moogs and scarfs!

I also love Ajax mainly due to Cruyff and the intertwined history of Barcelona and Ajax and the way they always played youth accademy boys.

Finally, I also love Celtic because the ambience in the Park is one of the highlights of my life as a football spectator. Just had an amazing night there and the Celtic supporters may be around the best in the world. Cheers for them!

Last edited:
Manchester United and Juventus

Well...thanks to FIFA 2002. It was the very first football game I played, back in 2003. I rooted very deeply for these 2 teams, van Gol and Alex Del Piero were simply amazing (Edgar Davids too, his glasses were hawt xD).

Then I started having feelings and love for football gradually, until I decided to watch the first match ever in my life. My daddy is a United fan, so I followed him...

How far would you go?
Well, forever be a Mancunian and Juvetini. The Calciopoli in 2006 had spoken for itself...I never lose trust in my clubs, even when they are in big trouble

I was actually born in London, just down the road from White Hart Lane I believe. So I guess if I carried on down there, I'd have become a Spurs fan.

As it was, my parents are Scousers and were only down there for work and moved back up to Liverpool a few years later.

I didn't really get into football until I was about 9/10 I think. I remember those huge playground football games that got played on the schoolyard at lunchtimes, where it was something like 20-a-side and I decided I'd join in one day for something to do.

So I stood "goalhanging" as I didn't really know what I was doing, one of my team had a shot and it was probably going in, but I decided I'd take a swing and put the ball in myself :LOL: The lad wasn't impressed at all and had a right go at me but I thought it was pretty funny and I guess I caught the bug from then on and kept playing about.

My family are probably 70% Liverpool fans and 30% Everton so when I got into football, I had lots of people trying to get me to support one or the other. So during those early days, I actually switched between supporting both as the people persuading me were quite influential to me at the time. I don't think that lasted long, maybe a year?

Liverpool became the team I settled on and my first game that I went to was against Southampton on 29th February 1992. My uncle put us in The Kop and I watched a 0-0 draw but I remember being fascinated by seeing how big the ground was, the noise of the crowd, and seeing the famous players in the flesh. Funnily enough, I don't get to go to many Liverpool games these days but when I do, I still get that funny feeling when I see the players that I'm so used to seeing on TV :LOL:

And that's my story :D

i'd probably get involved with AFC Liverpool a lot more, when they started out i was involved briefly, even coming up with some designs for their emblem, i always keep an eye out for their results and news. It wouldn't be the same, i'd never feel the same love and connection for any other club, even a grass-roots version of LFC, but it'd be as close as i could possibly get.

I went to one of AFCL's first games in Ashton, pretty good fun and I enjoyed it a lot considering. Spent most of the first season going to the home games, a few away games on the coach, met a good bunch of lads (and some not so good) but I started to drift away when all the in-fighting started on their forums and I just couldn't be bothered with the atmosphere around the club. I'd moved house around the end of the first season and it meant it wasn't as easy to drive and pick my brother up coming from Halewood up to Litherland, then back down to Prescot, then back to Litherland, then back to Halewood.

I think I maybe went to a handful of games in the second season but haven't been to a game for ages now. I've moved to Warrington now so I guess I'll be going to even less :(

I should also say I had one of my best football experiences with AFCL when I went with them to watch AFCL win the first division trophy at the end of the first season. The atmosphere and buzz around the ground was superb, I was stood behind the goal with a gang of AFCL fans and my brother and it was just electric, such a good feeling after the whistle went.

But Liverpool winning the CL takes it for me, easily the best football experience. I've never had such a buzz as I did that night, just an overwhelming feeling of happiness and joy. The pub I watched it in was rocking and everyone was just bouncing around off each other, constant singing. I remember the penalties and the guy next to me pretty much looked like he was going to literally shit himself. The pub was so quiet, the tension was horrible. But then it just exploded and the guy next to me just flew around the room in a frenzy and I was killing myself laughing and celebrating :D

All the way home, I had a massive grin on my face and I think I stayed like that for a few days afterwards. The happiness was so much that it was hard to knock the smile off my face. It's funny how a game of football can do that to you, change your mood from such extremes.

I remember coming back from watching Everton beat Liverpool a couple of years ago and when I got to my girlfriends, I was in an absolutely foul mood. Unbelievably angry and even though I knew the anger was only because of a game and I had no control over it, I couldn't shake the anger. My girlfriend couldn't believe anyone could get so worked up over something they had no control over and to this day, she doesn't tend to watch the football with me in case we get beat :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your favourite team? PAOK

Eeeehm... now here we go.When I was,eh,10 years old,I went to a sports shop near my house,and the first football shirt that had attracted me was PAOK's.So I got a number 9 one that I should haven't got now,lost it :( Dunno,but I always loved black&white.Plus my father,was supporting that team too,started telling me stories of the team,how we defeated Arsenal etc... before I was supporting no team,plus I was just 10 years at the time.And I felt so proud,a pride I didn't know where it came from.I didn't know why,but the feeling I had back then was the feeling that really made me support PAOK.And even if i changed the team 7 times (!) when I was a kid,I still felt the pride inside... It came from inside,some strange feeling.So,it's pretty much this that makes me continue.Γιατί ΝΑΙ ΡΕ ΠΑΟΚ!(sorry for Greek here,was just relevant)

How far would you go?As a chant says (και σκότωσα για ένα εισητήριο...)nah kidding,I wouldn't kill anybody.I'm not the kind of man that would kill for football,it's just not of that much importance to me.I would just watch the matches.I watch every match I can,although can't watch todays :( Maybe I'll have the chance to go the stadium someday...

Interesting topic. So my answers are:

My favorite club: Real Madrid
Why: It was the first club team I heard of (sad, but it was before I even knew for any Croatian club team). I heard of it in 1998, or year before/after when Davor Šuker was playing there. And I am Madridista from then.
How far: Well, my wish is at least once in my life to visit Madrid, Santiago Bernabeu, and if possible to attend at one home match of Real Madrid. I have few of their kits, from 06/07, 07/08, 08/09, and 2 older kits (don't now year for sure)

About national teams, Croatia is my top choice.
why: simply, because I am Croatian, were born in Croatia and I still live here.
how far: words can't describe.

Always enjoyed football when I was young, but when we went on vacation, my dad bought me an Arsenal with Henry on the back. Ever since then I'm a fan. I could have been any other team. Lol, if it was a Spurs shirt, I'd probabaly support them now...

Favourite club :Fenerbahçe

Why?: I don't know. When i was a child right side of my face was dark blue until i became 8 years old.I guess it was in my blood.But i became a fan after a comeback from 3-0 to 4-3 against Galatasaray in 1989.

How far would i go? I guess we will see that this year.

Back
Top Bottom