Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ThomasGOAL

Retired Footballer
15 March 2003
France
Who will win the FIFA World Cup 2010 ?

Only 30 answers, so i use the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking and add South Africa (83th but home team) and i delete New Zealand (78th) and Korea DPR 105th)

Last edited:
La Furia Roja finally!

I'll support my homeland but if Brazil doesn't make it, I'd like to be them or even Netherlands.

We need fresh world champions unless its Uruguay.

Brazil are the strongest all-round team so I have to go for them. I think Spain could actually be a bit of a disappointment at the world cup.

i voted for germany..
but also think that brazil and england could make it. i'm sure that spain won't get into the semi-finals... they will be kicked out by denmark, wich will got the 3rd place ;)

I don't think Spain will win it. Nothing wrong with their selection - which is probably the strongest of all - but Spain has some kind of psychological block for the World Cup, which make them underachieve every World cup. Look at the history, they never came even close to win it.

That's true, Han, and when psychology works fine, then it's some weird referee that disallows goals or ignores blatant penalties. Though that same team managed to win an eurocup beating italy and germany in the way, so maybe - a big maybe here - the likes of Xavi, Villa and Iniesta have learned the lesson.

I still have Spain as favorite to win, alongside Brazil, Germany (always there) and Argentina (if Maradona gets a heartattack and misses the whole tourney).

I see you do not name Holland for winners. I am Dutch myself, so I am not objective, but if Robben is back from injury in the knock-out stages I have high hopes for them :)
True, Holland did never win it, but came very close in the final of 1978 when they hitted the post in the last minute. It was 1-1 at that moment...
So why shouldn't we aim one inch more to the inside of the post this time ;)

In a World Cup full of mediocre coaches I think the best one will win. That's why I've appointed England as winner. The Three Lions have a solid group of players plus an amazing coach. Don Fabio will get the best of Rooney, Lampsy and Gerrard.

I can assure Spain won't win the World Cup. It's always the same talk about them every WC. They will trash Portugal in round of 16 and then go home against Italy. Main favourite never wins unless play at home. The psychological issue will handle the rest.

About Portugal, well... crappy campaign. IF we get the ticket to next phase surely Spain will kick us back to Lisbon.

I don't think Spain will win it. Nothing wrong with their selection - which is probably the strongest of all - but Spain has some kind of psychological block for the World Cup, which make them underachieve every World cup. Look at the history, they never came even close to win it.

That may have been true in the past. They were cheated in 2002 by some very dubious refereeing and lining.

This team though has many winners in it and these players have a winning mentality.

What has gone on in the past means nothing.

Last edited:
This team though has many winners in it and these players have a winning mentality.

What has gone on in the past means nothing.

I agree. You guys should also take a look at Sid Lowe's article
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jun/06/spain-world-cup

Btw, apparently David Winner wrote a book trying to find out why Netherlands have failed to win the WC. It's called Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football

I kinda feel noone can win this World Cup. However Spain can lose it.

Last edited:
The Dutch have a brilliant midfield, but they will not win this World Cup due to internal struggles in the squad...like always.

Call me a lunatic but i think there will be surprises, the big teams will fail.

My favourite: Chile.

Switzerland to pull off a 'Greece'!

Many many good but under-rated players in terms of world-wide reputation/profile + a legendary coach!

Okay I'm half kidding :P the odds of them winning it is extremely low. But my point is, this is a team that is far better than the average person thinks.

Problem for them is that Chile is also very good and under-rated by most and Honduras has many capable players as well (again unknown to the majority of people), so getting out of the group along with Spain will be tough enough itself but it's do-able and from then on... anything can happen really....

Switzerland to pull off a 'Greece'!

Many many good but under-rated players in terms of world-wide reputation/profile + a legendary coach!

Okay I'm half kidding :P the odds of them winning it is extremely low. But my point is, this is a team that is far better than the average person thinks.

Problem for them is that Chile is also very good and under-rated by most and Honduras has many capable players as well (again unknown to the majority of people), so getting out of the group along with Spain will be tough enough itself but it's do-able and from then on... anything can happen really....

I was thinking that perhaps in view of the poor defensive units on all sides aside from Brazil with the odd decent defender on other sides, that this may turn out to be a WC in which the trend is bucked.

Namely that teams with attacking strength suceed. Chile will be exciting to watch but it's unfortunate Suazo will not be available for the group games.

:P Hope Slovakia could make a good tournament, but win the world cup is a bit to much, don't you think??:DD

My vote goes for Spain obviously.

it was a joke offcourse..for us going up from the group would be a dream!!

I was thinking that perhaps in view of the poor defensive units on all sides aside from Brazil with the odd decent defender on other sides, that this may turn out to be a WC in which the trend is bucked.

Namely that teams with attacking strength suceed. Chile will be exciting to watch but it's unfortunate Suazo will not be available for the group games.

Is that confirmed then?

Because I'm torn between Chile and Swiss in betting who will go through and follow Spain. I rate both teams highly. I'm leaning towards Hitzfeld's men and if Humberto is gonna miss the group stage games, then suddenly I'm a lot more confident about my choice.

Of course today the news has come out that captain Alex Frei is also injured! AGAIN :( (Not yet determined just how serious it is) Poor guy! Right before or beginning of every major tournament! Huge loss but I have a lot of faith in Eren Derdiyok where as I think Chile will REALLY miss Humberto.

PLF said:
...Huge loss but I have a lot of faith in Eren Derdiyok...
+1 ;)
nice player that is. i still remember how much he impressed me 2 years ago during the euro cup with switzerland (wich was the first time i saw him playing).

as for frei, his bad luck is monumental... the only player i can think of, who was as unlucky as him in his international carreer is nesta. he must be so pissed off right now.

I always loved Frei.
And yes Derdiyok impressed me too at the EC.

I also think Paraguay could surprise (but i always hope that there will be lots of suprises).

Is that confirmed then?

Because I'm torn between Chile and Swiss in betting who will go through and follow Spain. I rate both teams highly. I'm leaning towards Hitzfeld's men and if Humberto is gonna miss the group stage games, then suddenly I'm a lot more confident about my choice.

Of course today the news has come out that captain Alex Frei is also injured! AGAIN :( (Not yet determined just how serious it is) Poor guy! Right before or beginning of every major tournament! Huge loss but I have a lot of faith in Eren Derdiyok where as I think Chile will REALLY miss Humberto.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...10-Humberto-Suazo-injury-doubt-for-Chile.html

Unlikely he may even feature at all dfuring the tournament which is a real shame.

Then again there are reports he may be fit ebough to play in their opening game. Take your pick PLF. ;)

Yeah I don't know bro. Lots of conflicting reports on that one. Thanks anyway.

Some say he will be even ready for 1st game! Some say he won't and I think a fit Humberto makes a big difference to Chile's chances so it's a tough one to predict.

No one should take this the wrong way but a humorous look on certain teams WC plans based on footballing stereotypes some of which are a bit outdated by now:

wcplans.jpg

;)

Back
Top Bottom