who is the true soccer god?

that was just provocation !
maradona was a real great player !
Have you ever seen videos of his jugglings, unbelievable !

Jesús : Pelé
Lucifer : Maradona
Angel Gabriel : Cruijff (Flying Dutchman)
Cupidon : Di Stefano (The Blond Arrow)
Jeanne D'Arc : Zidane (Savior who hear voices)

^^

One last thign I wanna mention. Both Pele and Maradona off the pitch behavior can't be brought in by someone who only mentions one. Sure Maradona did drugs etc but Pele is an absolutely arrogant cunt as well! Big-headed and pompous IMO, Maradona ws a drug addict and involved in mafia when at Napoli, so both are cunts off the pitch!

200_pesos said:
One last thign I wanna mention. Both Pele and Maradona off the pitch behavior can't be brought in by someone who only mentions one. Sure Maradona did drugs etc but Pele is an absolutely arrogant cunt as well! Big-headed and pompous IMO, Maradona ws a drug addict and involved in mafia when at Napoli, so both are cunts off the pitch!
I think neither of them, drugs or arrogant, are valid to measure their historic levels; I think for that it's only important their appears inside the field, for me is Pelé, but I think too the difference is very short.

Maradonna by a mile, He played ina time when football was REAL, proper marking,tactics.fitness levels, and the team pele played in couldve had ME playing in it and it wouldve still won the world cup. Maradona pretty much won the whole thing on his own

200_pesos said:
Yeha but really man it's true, watch some of Pele's games, they didn't mark nearly as hard or foul as much as when Maradona played. Anyone denying that is stupid.
I watched a video where the defense pretty much was bear hugging pele and throwing him to the ground to stop him, cause they couldn't do anything to stop him.

I think it´s funny that people who´s 20-25 years old judge playrs like pele, eusebio and di stefano based on highlights. Evebody looks like a genius in highlights. It´s necessary to watch full mathces to judge a football player well.

So I´m not going to talk about players I´ve never seen in other way then highlights. I´m 25 and the best players I´ve ever seen are:

1 Maradona
2 Zico
3 Romário
4 Batistuta
5 Zidane

Bergkamp is also a player to remenber and I´ll probably put Ronaldinho in that list a few years from now

Maradona for sure.

For many years I was a Pele voter. But then I saw 2,3 DVDs about maradona and my God.. that bloke was a creation from God or Devil.

Maradona played in an era in which soccer was rougher, watch the way he was marked in Argentina vs Italy in 1982 and you'll see the diference. Yet he still left some unbelievable moments and was virtually responsible for the titles of a club like Napoli, that was nothing before him and was nothing after him.

Pelé was surely great but... played in a Santos filled with brazilian stars, played in an era of more space for the artists and most of all lacked proving in the harder european grounds.

2 of the most delicious moments of Maradona:

Napoli vs Juventus: Free kick against Juventus. Tacconi screams for the players on the wall to close on his right side, the wall totally closes it once taconi is happy. Maradona looks at all that in peace. He shoots and... there it goes. Right side of Taconi, helpless on the ground after flying to save it. Taconi punches the ground in anger.

Argentinos vs Boca: Gatti, Argentinian world champion of 78 comments the new rising star maradona "that fat boy? scoring against me? never".
Maradona scores him 3 goals, 2 from free kick one of them like a small corner, the third goal a souplesse ball over gatti.

Boca? vs ?: after the return. A cup game I guess. Ball in the middle of the field, start of game (or after a goal). A player taps the ball to maradona, he lifts the ball, hits it with his knee higher and kicks it stronger before touching the ground, the ball flies all over the field and into the goal surprising an disbeliefing keeper. Incredible.

Last edited:
---------------------------Yashin----------------------------
------------Vogts----------Baresi----------Maldini-----------
-------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------Rijkaard------Beckenbauer-----------------
--------------Platini-----------------------Maradona---------
----Cruijff(C)-----------Van Basten-----------Ronaldinho-----

I think the best ever.

Last edited:
Just about offensiv midfields and strikers :

---Maradona-----Zidane-----Ronaldinho--
-------------Pelé--------Van Basten----------

People need to stop saying that pele was only good because of the time he played in.
use a bit of algebra
A = the average player for his time

no matter how good the average player is he is still average.
you judge how good a player is by how much better he is than average.

pele was 100 times as good of the average player of his time.
maradona was only about 90 times better the average of his time.

pele= Ax100 maradona= Ax90

pele was the best.:circle: :triangle: :square: :x:

stanley matthews was 110 x better than average at the time? what a load of rubbish. where do you get those numbers from?

I'll remember Maradona for his wonder goal against England.
I'll remember Pele for his 'can't get an erection' ads on TV.

Amsterdammer said:
---------------------------Yashin----------------------------
------------Vogts----------Baresi----------Maldini-----------
-------------------Rijkaard------Beckenbauer-----------------
--------------Platini-----------------------Maradona---------
----Cruijff(C)-----------Van Basten-----------Ronaldinho-----

I think the best ever.

Ronaldinho- is not classic~ :lol:

Chaotic Guy said:
I think it´s funny that people who´s 20-25 years old judge playrs like pele, eusebio and di stefano based on highlights. Evebody looks like a genius in highlights. It´s necessary to watch full mathces to judge a football player well.
I could see entire matches of Pelé and Eusebio in Santos and Benfica from video-library in Caracas; Di Stéfano in Real Madrid in a compact of many matches for them; I think the majority take these players as they listened about them, but the difference that I could see is minimum as the reality, in my opinion.

The best formations ever for me:

A

------------------------------------------------- Lev Yashin (U.R.S.S.) ------------------------------------------------
Carlos Alberto (Brazil) - Franz Beckenbauer (Germany) - Franco Baresi (Italy) - Nilton Santos (Brazil)
--------------------------------------------- Leandro Andrade (Uruguay) ---------------------------------------------
------- Garrincha (Brazil) ----------- Johan Cruyff (Holland) -------- Diego Maradona (Argentina) -----------
--------------------------- Alfredo Di Stéfano (Spain) ------------ Pelé (Brazil) -----------------------------------

B

------------------------------------------------- Ricardo Zamora (Spain) -------------------------------------------------
Djalma Santos (Brazil) - Karl-Heinz Schnellinger (Germany) - Bobby Moore (England) - Paolo Maldini (Italy)
-------------------------------------------------- Luis Monti (Argentina) ---------------------------------------------------
----- Bobby Charlton (England) -------- Zinedine Zidane (France) -------- George Best (Northern Ireland) -----
---------------------- Gabriel Batistuta (Argentina) ---------- Marco Van Basten (Holland) --------------------------

Others:

Goalkeepers: Roque Máspoli (Uruguay), Gordon Banks (England), Peter Schmeichel (Denmark), Frantisek Planicka (Czech Republic), Sepp Maier (Germany), Dino Zoff (Italy)
Defenders: Berti Vogts (Germany), Daniel Passarella (Argentina), Ruud Krol (Holland), Giacinto Facchetti (Italy), Domingos Da Guía (Brazil), Lilian Thuram (France), Roberto Perfumo (Argentina)
Midfielders: Zico (Brazil), Falcao (Brazil), Adolfo Pedernera (Argentina), Ronaldinho (Brazil), Michel Platini (France), Didí (Brazil), Ricardo Bochini (Argentina), Luis Gento (Spain), Johan Neeskens (Holland)
Forwards: Gerd Müller (Germany), Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (Germany), Matthias Sindelar (Austria), Romario (Brazil), Ronaldo (Brazil), Dennis Bergkamp (Holland), Giuseppe Meazza (Italy), Eusebio (Portugal), Férenc Puskas (Hungary), Jairzinho (Brazil), Roberto Baggio (Italy)...

Bfff... many incredible players.

Glavisted said:
I could see entire matches of Pelé and Eusebio in Santos and Benfica from video-library in Caracas; Di Stéfano in Real Madrid in a compact of many matches for them; I think the majority take these players as they listened about them, but the difference that I could see is minimum as the reality, in my opinion.
I saw it too. But just a few games. It´s different to watch a player for ten year in a row. I have my opinions about these players, but I don´t think I can trust them. Besides, I believe most people have never watch a full match.

Anyway, I´d rather talk about players I´ve seen their whole career or, at least, a great part.

People seem to quickly dismiss Pele when it comes to the age old Maradona Vs Pele debate. The main argument being that the game back in those days was different and that a player like Pele wouldn't be able to cope in the modern game.

Complete BS.

I saw some old vids of Pele playing...and he was amazing. His close control was out of this world: trust me, he would have dominated today's game. His vision, passing and finishing was equally class.

Just cos you haven't seen him play, doesn't make him any less of a brilliant player ;)

For me every era in recent history has produced one true great.

50's Di stefano
60's Pele
70's Cruyff
80's maradona
90's Zidane

maybe ronaldinho will be next..

rockykabir said:
I saw some old vids of Pele playing...and he was amazing. His close control was out of this world: trust me, he would have dominated today's game. His vision, passing and finishing was equally class.

Just cos you haven't seen him play, doesn't make him any less of a brilliant player ;)

That completely crap! He would NEVER dominate today's game. Even Maradona would not! Every defender now knows how to defend guys like that. Ronaldinho now thát's hard to defend and Maradona ánd Pele don't posses the skills of Ronaldinho..........it's just a difference in time man you can't compare.

Amsterdammer said:
That completely crap! He would NEVER dominate today's game. Even Maradona would not! Every defender now knows how to defend guys like that. Ronaldinho now thát's hard to defend and Maradona ánd Pele don't posses the skills of Ronaldinho..........it's just a difference in time man you can't compare.

I disagree mate. Ronaldinho is a phenomenon....but seriously, these guys are incomparable.

I know it's tempting to criticise when you see old vids of football players in baggy pants playing the slow game, but when you study their play you'll see how amazing they really are.

I wasn't around to see Pele and Maradona play in their hey days...I think the situation nowadays is that people easily dismiss "classic" players as quick as they are to herald them as legends without really seeing them play. I used to think the same - but I highly recommend you to watch some old games ;)

rockykabir said:
I disagree mate. Ronaldinho is a phenomenon....but seriously, these guys are incomparable.

I know it's tempting to criticise when you see old vids of football players in baggy pants playing the slow game, but when you study their play you'll see how amazing they really are.

I wasn't around to see Pele and Maradona play in their hey days...I think the situation nowadays is that people easily dismiss "classic" players as quick as they are to herald them as legends without really seeing them play. I used to think the same - but I highly recommend you to watch some old games ;)

What the hell are you talkin about? Where do I say that they are no legends? They truly are legends! Maradona was the best! I completely disagree with what you said before. You said about Pele the following: "His close control was out of this world: trust me, he would have dominated today's game." and I completely think this is crap. You know why? If Pele was put in a time machine and ended up in this time and he played against a normal team he would NEVER break through the defense because he has an old way of playing that is completely become normal now everybody can do that but in HIS days it was something from another planet. The same like Maradona. In his days it was a dribble who nobody could stop, but if he was put in a time machine and send here he would never be succesfull with his dribble. The same with Ronaldinho. Now he is fantastic player but compared to players in the future lets say 30 years from now it will be nothing............you get it? So players like Maradona, Pele, Cruijff, Ronaldinho are players who posses special abilities wich are special IN THAT TIME. That's what make these players so special too ;) they are all legends

Football evolves...but when you have a genius, they will evolve along (or maybe faster than the usual player).

You can put it to any situation - a pioneer in science is likely to understand the logistics of modern engineering theorems easily than anyone. In the same way, someone like Pele or Maradona will easily learn to adapt to the modern game - and even excel it imo.

The sign of the genius = they don't think about it, they are just able to do it. It is in their nature.

Watch Pele and Maradona in full games. You want to see showboating? They've got it all. You want to see incisive passing and player awareness? They've got it all. You want to see sublime finishing? They've got it all!

I will say this again - Ronaldinho is class. A living legend. Who knows whether he was as good as Pele or Maradona? but all I would say that if Maradona and Pele were here now playing as they were, they would have made a significant impact on world football.

Amsterdammer said:
Glavisted I can't believe you forget (or maybe not) Rijkaard. Rijkaard is a whole lot better then Andrade
I consider him a great historic player, but I think behind the previous mentioned in his position; too Ruud Gullit for example... well, I think are many different styles, really difficult to mention all of them. I think Leandro Andrade was the best in his position of all-time.

unbornchikkenvoices said:
50's Di stefano
60's Pele
70's Cruyff
80's maradona
90's Zidane
I really like Zidane, but I think the 90's was among him and Romario too and 70's among Cruyff and Beckenbauer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom