Where's the Civ 5 thread?!?!

Have it but I've been distracted by PES 2011. It seems a lot of people think it's dumbed down. Personally I don't know what to think about that but I have enjoyed the ~800 turns I've played so far.

The Eurogamer review put me off. Mainly this quote about the AI.

because the AI in Civ V is still curiously terrible. At its absolute smartest (what the game calls its 'normal' difficulty setting, before the AI starts receiving stat bonuses) the AI still makes inexplicable demands from you. It will refuse your demands, even if you've got an apocalyptic horde parked outside its borders. It will go to war with you, dash a dozen armies against your defences, then offer you everything it's got for a peace settlement. These aren't opponents that make for fond memories.

Got this for my wife and she likes it a lot, she plays it on my PC which means that unfortunately whilst she's playing Civ I have to sit on the couch playing Fifa11 on my 120" screen, life's hard ;)

Yea, got it and its a welcome change of pace from F1 and PES.

I really like it - I found Civ4 a bit overwhelming on the Mac and I can see how the hardcore fans dont like 5 - but more and more are coming round to its charms.

I like the fighting bonuses now - means you have to plan your attacks and moves a bit better (i.e. take the high ground, or attack from a forest).

I should have the strat guide arriving today from Amazon :)

is that the Bradygames guide? i had a look at that the other day, but it said 1-2 weeks for delivery, and i'm off on holiday on friday and decided not to buy it...

i played civ 1 to death, then tried civ 2, but didn't enjoy it as much as civ 1 - i didn't put in the hours though, so that might explain part of it.

i never played 3 or 4, and now i'm loving 5. maybe that's because i skipped 4, i dunno, but there are a lot of civ 4 players who hate 5!

i like how the combat is akin to 'age of empires', my favourite strategy game ever!

guess the first proper patch should address most of the balance issues and dumb AI that is pretty obvious on first playing.

still, it's the first game in years to grab me again and keep me!

Bought it played and was ok and pretty enjoyable but it is not as in depth as Civ 4, so I have just gone back to that.

Civ 5 is the game simplified a few nice additions but I dont really like the way the game has been dumbed down to accomodate newbies who prob wont buy the game anyway.

is that the Bradygames guide? i had a look at that the other day, but it said 1-2 weeks for delivery, and i'm off on holiday on friday and decided not to buy it...

i played civ 1 to death, then tried civ 2, but didn't enjoy it as much as civ 1 - i didn't put in the hours though, so that might explain part of it.

i never played 3 or 4, and now i'm loving 5. maybe that's because i skipped 4, i dunno, but there are a lot of civ 4 players who hate 5!

i like how the combat is akin to 'age of empires', my favourite strategy game ever!

guess the first proper patch should address most of the balance issues and dumb AI that is pretty obvious on first playing.

still, it's the first game in years to grab me again and keep me!

Yea, I think thats the guide.

Played more into the early hours last night. In about 200AD now I think. Had a bit of a spat with a city state and tried to help another city state vs the Germans. I camped on the border of the city state with a small army and waited for the city and their army to weaken the germans, then I waded in with my archers to finish them off.

Still not 100% (or even 75%!) sure of what I'm doing... c'mon the Strat Guide!

Bought it played and was ok and pretty enjoyable but it is not as in depth as Civ 4, so I have just gone back to that.

Civ 5 is the game simplified a few nice additions but I dont really like the way the game has been dumbed down to accomodate newbies who prob wont buy the game anyway.

i've never played civ 4, would you recommend it? bare in mind, the last civ game i played 'to death' was the original amiga civ 1.

is civ 4 'closer' to the original? obviously, i'd be patching it to the latest update, but any other mods that you'd recommend?

Yea, I think thats the guide.

Played more into the early hours last night. In about 200AD now I think. Had a bit of a spat with a city state and tried to help another city state vs the Germans. I camped on the border of the city state with a small army and waited for the city and their army to weaken the germans, then I waded in with my archers to finish them off.

Still not 100% (or even 75%!) sure of what I'm doing... c'mon the Strat Guide!

i played again last night, with default settings. not sure what civ is best for a novice... started a few games, then restarted after about half-hour each. mostly just experimenting at the moment with building cities and exploiring with units and stuff. can't wait to get properly into a game though...

i've never played civ 4, would you recommend it? bare in mind, the last civ game i played 'to death' was the original amiga civ 1.

is civ 4 'closer' to the original? obviously, i'd be patching it to the latest update, but any other mods that you'd recommend?

Dunno... I couldnt get into Civ4 really - it looked like a great game, but was a bit overwhelming and the same lack of feedback as in 5 meant I lost interest, though regrettably as I wanted to like it.

Civ5 was probably made for people like me (which is why it has alienated the hardcore 4 crowd), in that it looks more accessible (and just generally better all round) and it drags you in more.

I'd say if you like Civ that much, then you'd love 4. But after playing 5, could you go back to square tiles and more of a clinical interface? I'm not sure. But the full pack of it is only about £8 on Amazon, so its certainly worth having in your collection IMO.

Lots of expansions too which apparently are superb, but I never got that far :(

Civilization games have always been abit of a hardcore game, as you have to plan everything your doing 10 moves in advance, as well as calculating what is happening now.

I have played every Civ game since the original, which was just an amazing game at the time.

Civ 2 for me was the greatest version, it was Civ 1 with nice graphics more advances and more buildings, it was in my mind the best.

Civ 3 was shite, inbalance issues the introduction of culture which was really badly implemented. Civ 3 had loads of new features were really good they just weren't done correctly.

Civ 4 brought Civ back to Civ 1/2 sort of standard with easy to use menus with the game still being massively in depth, it also took most of the Civ 3 features and were implemented correctly and everything worked the way it should of worked, which is why most people believe this was the greatest Civ game ever made.

Civ 5 needs more time tbh, but I read reviews when the game came out and always had it pre-purchased on steam before the reviews came out saying it felt basic and Firaxis were trying to take it mainstream. I played it for about an hour and the new battle system seemed pretty good, but Civ is a game about managing and developing a Civiliztion not trying to work out the best strategy to attack a city. Civ 5 is very simplified I can kind of understand why they done it as it might get a few people to buy it who normally wouldnt. But to me feels like they have released this as it will be easier to port to the consoles at a later date.

This probably dosn't answer your question much, but if you feel unsatisfied by Civ 5 lack of depth then I would go out and buy a copy of Civ 4 as you can get it really cheap these days and is alot better than Civ 5, if you have played and loved the Civ games of the past.

cheers for the replies guys.

just played an epic game there, started about 11am and just saved it in 1850AD, at 3pm.

was probably the most 'applied' i've been in any of the games i've played thus far, and i can now start to see things that annoy me! namely the automated workers building JUST trading posts. not only that, but building them OVER my already exisiting improvements! the whole continent was just a mass of TPs!

was funny - rome declared on me pretty early because i was encroaching on their borders! even though they were the ones doing it to me! they moved a good bit down the map and built cities next to mine. needless to say, this pissed me off so i built a few trebs and went to town on his ass...

there is a nice little choke point, sort of like in central america where i am now amassing my army to take on the turks next!

i love it, even though there are a few things that need patched pronto!

I will give the time it deserves tomorrow and have a long game.

Off topic Spunky, is your quote at the bottom from stand by me?

Last edited:
Have finally had some time to play it for abit longer, well only about an hour and a half.
And main first impressions are it's still a good game cos at the end of the day it's still Civilization.

But as someone who has played every Civ game I am dissapointed with Civ 5, they have dumbed it down quite alot for someone who plays them quite alot.

I don't know if it was me and couldn't find the option with the new menu system which they have seemed to have invented for everything.
But you cant change the levels anymore for tax, science and luxuries, these allowed you to get quite far ahead at the start of the game when you didnt need gold for anything.

I still have not made up my mind about the new combat system, as it sometimes feels good but other times it makes you annoyed in the fact it now takes so long and so much effort to capture an enemy city.
It does add something new that you have to now build a variety of units in order to capture or destroy a civiization, but I didn't mind the old system where if you were at war you had to quickly build as many units as possible.

I am sure, I will play it again but on first impressions, I reckon I will be moving back to Civ 4.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom