WC06 Qualifiers' and Internationals' Thread (June 5th Results)

England struggled in a 1-0 win. And LOL for Becks, got a red cause of a dive by the opponent.

And my congratulations for Angola for achieving their first ever World Cup participation.

Portugal won, and confirmed the'r spot on Germany. Crappy match against Liechenstein. 2-1 Pauleta and Nuno Gomes. Another disaster performance by our keeper :\
Qualified teams so far:
Germany, Argentina, Japan, Iran, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Ukraine, USA, Brazil, Mexico, Angola, Togo, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Holland, Poland, England, Croatia, Italy, Tunisia, Portugal.

11 spots to go.

ClassicD said:
Anyone see van Nistelrooy's celebration against Andorra? The defender marking him had been quite 'physical' throughout the match and when van Nistelrooy missed a penalty had given him a lot of verbal cheek.

Watch what happens when van Nistelrooy later scores, I think they call this 'The Dutch Chortle' (commentator!). :D

http://latestgoals.net/upload/06409cmp2j58.zip

Thats quality :lmao: :)

the guys face :D

wow we'll see 3 national teams who speak portuguese as official language: Portugal, Brazil and the recent Angola! :D

Professor Nutmeg said:
Yeah, Angola, Ghana and Togo in the World Cup :shock:
Oh, and the Ivory Coast :applause:

Looking forward to it.:D

I said this in another thread, but Brazil won't win the 2006 World cup.

Gonna be a lot of replica shirts to buy this summer! :D What happened to Mali? They've got a decent team - are they still able to qualify?

EDIT: Oh well, I've just read that they are second bottom of their table :( Thought they'll do okay with Sissoko and Kanoute :eh:

Last edited:
Well, Holland's in. That's the first time since 1998... I do hope the Czech Republic goes through as well, I still like that team very much. In order to do that, they must win the away match against Finland. Tough break.

Good to see all those African newcomers. That will make for an interesting World Cup next year.

Originally Posted by ClassicD
Anyone see van Nistelrooy's celebration against Andorra? The defender marking him had been quite 'physical' throughout the match and when van Nistelrooy missed a penalty had given him a lot of verbal cheek.

Watch what happens when van Nistelrooy later scores, I think they call this 'The Dutch Chortle' (commentator!).

http://latestgoals.net/upload/06409cmp2j58.zip
I loved that match. Cocu did get sent off for plantinga shoulder in an opponent's face, but Van Nistelrooy's reaction is simply priceless. Made the whole match much more fun, to see Ruud doing that.

"Wir sind dabei!"

Good to see Holland in the WC, i always liked Dutch football (must be one of the few Belgians who do, but if you like attractive football you simple have to like Holland and Ajax...).

I'm very excited about the African teams: Togo, Angola, (and less surprisingly) Ghana and Ivory Coast...sincerely hope they do well...

Did u watch the game yesterday between Cameroon and Egypt Wombe and pretty much most of the team looked gutted after the penalty miss.

Cruijff said:
.....but Van Nistelrooy's reaction is simply priceless. Made the whole match much more fun, to see Ruud doing that.

"Wir sind dabei!"

what did RVN say and why guys

Last edited:
joostebrood said:
Easy win for Holland, we're clearly one of the best teams in the world.
but in the build-up to the WC you will loose a friendly against Belgium...i hope you guys play a fantastic WC...

Stan said:
but in the build-up to the WC you will loose a friendly against Belgium...i hope you guys play a fantastic WC...

lol ,

feel sorry for belgium , better luck next time , makkerke! :P

Last edited:
England played mediocre football but won. I thought John Terry was magnificent. The rest? They should be made to clean his boots until they buck their ideas up.

joostebrood said:
Easy win for Holland, we're clearly one of the best teams in the world.

Results have been good so far, but i'm a bit annoyed by Van Basten's decisions. Makaay and Van Bommel nog good enough? But Boateng, to name just one, is? Strange, stubborn Ajax- biased and childish decisions.
Kuijt on the right, he works hard, but is he functional?

Volgens mij valt Van Basten nog 's flink door de mand, op het WK waarschijnlijk.

No Don, van Basten looks at other things than just football qualities. This team is willing to work for each other. He has clearly decided Robben, RVN and VDV are the star players. The rest of the team plays for them. Van Bommel clearly isn't capable of doing that. Makaay is one of my favorite strikers, but he's not ideal for the Dutch team. I can understand every decision van Basten made so far. He also looks at social characteristics. What's a player like in a group? Does he pick his friends or is he just cool with everybody? This whole thing is based on teambuilding. Trust me, van Basten's choises are great and well thought. A bit risky since everyone will use this against him when they lose a game, but his experiences as a player have taught him that only real, hardowrking teams win prices.

edit: natuurlijk speelt Kuijt, er spelen alleen maar spelers die snel kunnen omschakelen. Het zal mij trouwens niet verbazen als van Persie speelt op het WK. Dit team staat als een huis. Geluk dwing je af en ze zijn dodelijk voor de goal van de tegenstander.

Last edited:
I'm gutted Nigeria didnt qualify. I really wanted to watch Okocha and Martins on the World Stage. Now JJ's gonna retire from the team.

How suicidal do you think Pierre Wome is right now for Cameroon? He took the PK Eto was supposed to take and he missed it. :(

I can't wait to see the new breed of African teams heading to germany and hopefully springing some upsets. I really thought Nigeria or Cameroon could do a number this year in the WC, but we'll just have to see what these teams can do. Llike RockyKabir said, time to buy some new kits!! :mrgreen:

Holland looks like the second best team in the world right now. Van Basten finally has those dudes playing like a team, without many of their superstars. Less ego, more "we go". Gotta like that.

England. Please. get a new manager. No excuses for playing mediocre this long with your talent. Your team is stacked with talent and you'll be my second fave team next year.

I cant wait for this tournament. heads are gonna roll. :mrgreen:

I don't hate him, he just doesn't play well in our 4-3-3 formation. His defence is just terrible. Apart from that he's the most succesfull Dutch club player and I respect him for that.

ghazi said:
Holland looks like the second best team in the world right now. Van Basten finally has those dudes playing like a team, without many of their superstars. Less ego, more "we go". Gotta like that.

Amen Ghazi, you're very true. It's what I have been saying for the last year now. It's good to see I'm not alone in this one. We have outstanding attacking qualities. I've seen every game of the Dutch and we only get a few chances a game, but most of them are a goal. Robben, RVN and VDV are a great trio.

Revan said:
Prof, that's easy to say... but to say who's gonna win it is the trick! ;)

Now if i told you that, it would be easy (putting your money on it). I made that mistake before Euro 2004 ;) I'm not telling anyone this time. =;

Real happy for the Ivory Coast. I was living in Abidjan around the time Didier Drogba was born there.

joostebrood said:
No Don, van Basten looks at other things than just football qualities. This team is willing to work for each other. He has clearly decided Robben, RVN and VDV are the star players. The rest of the team plays for them. Van Bommel clearly isn't capable of doing that. Makaay is one of my favorite strikers, but he's not ideal for the Dutch team. I can understand every decision van Basten made so far. He also looks at social characteristics. What's a player like in a group? Does he pick his friends or is he just cool with everybody? This whole thing is based on teambuilding. Trust me, van Basten's choises are great and well thought. A bit risky since everyone will use this against him when they lose a game, but his experiences as a player have taught him that only real, hardowrking teams win prices.

VDV is clearly in an amazing form and Robben has made his position his own, that's clear. Though I do not agree (with Van Basten) about RVN, Makaay to me is the best Dutch finisher out there. Hell, he might be THE best finisher out there. How can someone like him not be ideal for the team? I don't buy any of this- "he's a 4-4-2 type of striker". He won the golden ball for Deportivo playing as a lone striker in a 4-5-1 system. He should be able to play as a lone striker in 4-3-3, which doesn't differ that much from 4-5-1 anyhow. Also i've never heard of him being a trouble maker or anything of the kind, quite the opposite really. Teambuilding? How can a striker like him be anything but inspirational for young players?

Van Bommel, best eredivisie player of 04/05. Hardworking, can pass, can shoot, defend, annoy the opponent and be a leader. I can't see what's so clear about that not being for the good of the team? Even if he isn't friendly in training against he collegues, it'd be highly childish to throw Van Bommel off the team for that. Ditto for Seedorf, though he is a different case altogether.

I don't feel many will use his 'risky' policy against him, when he loses. Van Basten has an incredible amount of credit.

I agree that he's doing a good job with building a real 'team' and his play seems effective, often opposite of the 'typical' ineffective Dutch 'attractive'(what's attractive anyway; all in the eye of the beholder) football played in the past. All good things.
I can't help but be annoyed by his stubborness though. And this 'we should alwas play the 4-3-3' madness, our entire country seems to have.. IF we would have better players for a 4-4-2 system, why the hell shouldn't we try that?!

joostebrood said:
edit: natuurlijk speelt Kuijt, er spelen alleen maar spelers die snel kunnen omschakelen. Het zal mij trouwens niet verbazen als van Persie speelt op het WK. Dit team staat als een huis. Geluk dwing je af en ze zijn dodelijk voor de goal van de tegenstander.

Van Persie op rechts, gatverdamme. Dan zelfs nog liever Kuijt.
Wat dacht je van Van Galen op die positie?

PS Nice discussion.

You know I'd love to see van Galen play. There was an interesting article about the reason why van Bommel isn't picked anymore. It was in the newspaper, I think it was 'Trouw'. I don't want to explain all about it, since I don't want to type that long now. van Persie on the left and Robben playing from the right would be a nice alternative.The reason why Kuyt plays is clearly because his defensive skills are very good. I think van Basten tells us, the people, about how he wants to play attractive football, but on the other hand he tells his group it's only about one thing: winning, no matter how.

Back
Top Bottom