Heiko Westermann (Germany) - injury

holy shit... nice starting eleven:

Goal: Adler
Defense: Ferdinand, Dragutinovic, Bosingwa, Westermann
Midfield: Essien, Ballack, Diarra, Beckham
Attack: Drogba, Robben

Subs: Anderson. Rolfes, Streller, Amanatidis

:RANT:

LOL! He has been surprisingly fit this season. It had to come hit him in the end. Is he going to miss the whole tournament?

Pirlo will miss first couple of matches.

Just shows the football season in Europe certainly in a WC year needs to be set back further.

The idiocy of the CL and EL scheduling does not help either. Some of these injuries will be related to overplaying.

It detracts from the WC as a whole. It's no coincidence that players who have had curtailed seasons through non selection by their club, injury are shining at the moment ie van Persie , Maxi Rodriguez because they are fresh.

Unfortunately is confirmed. This morning some sources said Ruben Amorim was called to South Africa. Now, Portuguese Federation confirmed Nani is injured. Pepe and Tiago had some problems too but seems they are ok.

I'm not sure if is that problem in his shoulder, people say is an injury he had at Man Utd.

Really bad news my friend. In my opinion Nani is the most in form player of our team.

http://www.fpf.pt/portal/page/portal/PORTAL_FUTEBOL/SELECCOES/NOTICIA?notid=9349566

Last edited:
Unfortunately is confirmed. This morning some sources said Ruben Amorim was called to South Africa. Now, Portuguese Federation confirmed Nani is injured. Pepe and Tiago had some problems too but seems they are ok.

I'm not sure if is that problem in his shoulder, people say is an injury he had at Man Utd.

Really bad news my friend. In my opinion Nani is the most in form player of our team.

Really bad luck amigo. Another excellent player who would have graced the championships. :( They've just said it's a hairline fracture of the clavicle which is very painful indeed.

I know Queiroz is a poor coach ie the sum of the team is far less than the collective of it's parts, but perhaps it can bring the team closer together and make them more determined.

Best of luck. :)

It detracts from the WC as a whole. It's no coincidence that players who have had curtailed seasons through non selection by their club, injury are shining at the moment ie van Persie , Maxi Rodriguez because they are fresh.

I half-agree with what you are saying, but not with the examples [although you might wanna add Iniesta to that :)) ]. Certain data simply can't be ignored.

And if you'll take into account all the players - many more shine/play vibrant enough now which have been playing all year. Those like v.Persie and Maxi spring into attention because they're oddities - we've missed them all year and now we notice them - hey, they're playing good. But as raw figures many more who weren't injured at all play just as well. Which means you can't quite draw any conclusions from those data.

It's funny how the absence of Drogba kinda unbalances the most interesting group and Nani's balanced it back.
I feel really sorry for Nani as he's my favourite portuguese player atm. Although - rooting for Portugal's group stage flop i guess it's a good thing.

And -as a personal supporter opinion - Fuck the WC. To me the european club season is a lot more important. The WC alreadyt sets everything back 2 weeks. It's enough. Setting anything further back just minimizes their role in front of a quirky strange competition, whose trophy's value draws a lot from the fact that it's only played once every four years. It wouldn't be at all so important were it played yearly...

Last edited:
I half-agree with what you are saying, but not with the examples [although you might wanna add Iniesta to that :)) ]. Certain data simply can't be ignored.

And if you'll take into account all the players - many more shine/play vibrant enough now which have been playing all year. Those like v.Persie and Maxi spring into attention because they're oddities - we've missed them all year and now we notice them - hey, they're playing good. But as raw figures many more who weren't injured at all play just as well. Which means you can't quite draw any conclusions from those data.

It's funny how the absence of Drogba kinda unbalances the most interesting group and Nani's balanced it back.
I feel really sorry for Nani as he's my favourite portuguese player atm. Although - rooting for Portugal's group stage flop i guess it's a good thing.

And -as a personal supporter opinion - Fuck the WC. To me the european club season is a lot more important. The WC alreadyt sets everything back 2 weeks. It's enough. Setting anything further back just minimizes their role in front of a quirky strange competition, whose trophy's value draws a lot from the fact that it's only played once every four years. It wouldn't be at all so important were it played yearly...

Sorry country always comes before club. When Romania went deep into the 1994 tournament I fully expect the country was bedecked in the tricolore.

World Cup football is the greatest tournament where reputations are cemented and made.

Try as they might the G17 and the likes of broadcasters such as Sky cannot claim club football is superior.

Vangelis Moras is out for Greece with a groin injury which may rule him out of the whole tournament.

Not saying that's not true. In fact i anticipated that and already mentioned it: "And -as a personal supporter opinion - Fuck the WC" :)

I asked my dad as a youth how come in all sports except football the Olympics were the peak. I mean why was a World Championship [where you run against the same people =)) ] less important than the Olympics in athletics? "the Olympics are only once every 4 years."

As for the country thing - i understand that as well. My fondest footballing memory is form Euro 2000 when we outed England. Madness on the streets! International football will always trump club because we like the whole "us" vs "them" paradigm. It's intrinsic to people.
However i don't fully agree with it.

You mentioned Sky broadcasters and such :P which is weird cause where i dwell noone is trying to make club football seem more important - on the contrary. But if i were to research the origins of international football, aside "nationalism" (and the sentiment of belonging) - it's just as fake and produced as the "club football is more important" sentiment you're talking about.

It's all fake and created. And we're all born in it so it's hardcoded since we're kids.

--- my last off-topic, i promise

Not saying that's not true. In fact i anticipated that and already mentioned it: "And -as a personal supporter opinion - Fuck the WC" :)

I asked my dad as a youth how come in all sports except football the Olympics were the peak. I mean why was a World Championship [where you run against the same people =)) ] less important than the Olympics in athletics? "the Olympics are only once every 4 years."

As for the country thing - i understand that as well. My fondest footballing memory is form Euro 2000 when we outed England. Madness on the streets! International football will always trump club because we like the whole "us" vs "them" paradigm. It's intrinsic to people.
However i don't fully agree with it.

You mentioned Sky broadcasters and such :P which is weird cause where i dwell noone is trying to make club football seem more important - on the contrary. But if i were to research the origins of international football, aside "nationalism" (and the sentiment of belonging) - it's just as fake and produced as the "club football is more important" sentiment you're talking about.

It's all fake and created. And we're all born in it so it's hardcoded since we're kids.

--- my last off-topic, i promise

I understand where you are coming from. ;)

If you were here the number of times Sky try to hype up their product and the way La Liga for instance is treated as somehow being second rate and the Bundesliga and serie A is somehow not that worthy is a bit cringeworthy.

Sky ruined the ethos and fundamental characteristics of the culture around the English game in the eyes of many supporters here for the worse.

We'll see how Platini's planned rule changes ie fiscal security affect the game and the financial crisis in the Euro zone.

I'm sure once Romania qualify for the net tourney there'll be patriotic fervour on the streets.

I for one would love to be in Buenos Aires right now. ;)

Back
Top Bottom