Virtua Tennis 2009 (PS3/360/Wii/PC)

I didn't think the TS system was that complex - you hold the button for the shot type you want, and release the button with a bit of timing (just after the ball bounces normally).
Just holding a button and direction from when the opponent hits the ball until the point your player hits it means shots can't be mistimed, which is the main cause of unforced errors in real life.

Of course VT is still a really fun game, but I don't think it's worth £20+ because after a 20 min burst it starts to get repetitive, meaning I wouldn't want to do a World Tour mode or anything.
It is an arcade game because it's good in arcades for a quick bit of fun, not in consoles for hours of playing, IMO.

For me, VT is better than TS. In TS you have to be Stephen Hawking just to work out how to hit the ball back!

Your timing must be terrible if you cant play Top Spin because that's all it was about

It didn't matter what I pressed or when I released it, he would never hit it back correctly.

nope. top spin was terrible in general imo. will be buying this when released,hopefully demo comes out first though

anyone got this pile of crap?

where is the ability to 'rank up' your player so he is good for online play?

i've been reading up about this, and supposedly, your player is already maxed out for online action, and THE ONLY thing you can do to increase his ability is to unlock one of 27 different play-styles??? hence, if you unlock your preferred play-style after 5 minutes, you are ready and primed to take on the best online players??? wtf?

is this correct???

This game is shite and reminds me of arcade games I'd play in the 80's.

Except from a serve (or returning a near-ace) it's literally impossible to hit the ball out of play so you're always playing on fully assisted to use FIFA-speak.

The career mode is wank - you start off ranked 100th in the Amateur league and move up about 2 places (MAX!!!) whenever you win a tournament, which for the record, is about 3 minutes after you start it as it's soooo easy.

I am now ranked 62nd and played thingy Blake, from the US, who was ranked 2nd at the time, in a "special" tournament and he gave me no more of a game than any of the amateurs.

The lack of options is quite literally sinful - you can pick a male or female voice for the umpire and MPH versus KPH on the serve speed and erm......that's effin it!!!

I bought this on an impluse after playing it for one minute in HMV and I will be trading it in on the next game I see that is worth even five minutes of my attention.

Crazy because the ingame graphics are decent enough but then the replays come in and oh my god, they are so annoying and poorly animated.

If ever I buy a game on impulse alone in the future, I will shoot myself!

PS - Now I know why the demo never appeared on XBox Live!!!

Last edited:
I had it for a week and then sold it on eBay.

The graphics are not next gen in any way, shape or form with the clothes you wear looking like cardboard as they just don't move.

The online mode is a mess too. I tried to play one game and the host couldn't even decide whether to play singles or doubles so just kept switching between the 2. I didn't want to wait around as we had other options for him to fuck about with too.

The one thing that was decent were the mini games but not even they can save the game from bombing as they would cease to be fun after a few goes.

Gets a 2/10 from me, and thats being generous. In fact I am gonna give it 1 as its that fucking awful

Yup, traded mine back in today after buying it yesterday for £34.99 (well, actually nothing as I traded in £35 of games, but still).

Took it back today and got Grand Slam Tennis and a motion plus.

Awful as well :( Motion plus is NOT all its cracked up to be.

Guess I'll stick to Top Spin 3 on PS3.

This game is shite and reminds me of arcade games I'd play in the 80's.

Except from a serve (or returning a near-ace) it's literally impossible to hit the ball out of play so you're always playing on fully assisted to use FIFA-speak.

The career mode is wank - you start off ranked 100th in the Amateur league and move up about 2 places (MAX!!!) whenever you win a tournament, which for the record, is about 3 minutes after you start it as it's soooo easy.

I am now ranked 62nd and played thingy Blake, from the US, who was ranked 2nd at the time, in a "special" tournament and he gave me no more of a game than any of the amateurs.

The lack of options is quite literally sinful - you can pick a male or female voice for the umpire and MPH versus KPH on the serve speed and erm......that's effin it!!!

I bought this on an impluse after playing it for one minute in HMV and I will be trading it in on the next game I see that is worth even five minutes of my attention.

Crazy because the ingame graphics are decent enough but then the replays come in and oh my god, they are so annoying and poorly animated.

If ever I buy a game on impulse alone in the future, I will shoot myself!

PS - Now I know why the demo never appeared on XBox Live!!!

that's not the reason why it never appeared as a demo - it was because if it had, everyone who already owned VT3 would have realised it is 95% identical to that game...

vt3 was a classic, but was huglely flawed with the way the tie-breaks played out (wtf?? did the developers even know the rules regarding who serves how many points at a time on a tie-break?)

i haven't been in that situation yet with 2009, so don't know whether or not it has been 'addressed'...

all the things which made the series great way back on the dreamcast, are still there today, but unfortunately, so is everything else...

Back
Top Bottom