Virtua Tennis 2009 (PS3/360/Wii/PC)

ThomasGOAL

Retired Footballer
15 March 2003
France
VT2009_CLAY_FINAL.jpg

VT09_PS3_IN_FRv1_med.jpg

http://www.sega.fr/games/virtua-tennis-2009?t=French&gseoid=virtua-tennis-2009

The world’s top tennis stars are hitting the courts again as SEGA’s best-selling tennis series smashes back into action on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC – Virtua Tennis 2009 will be arriving in May 2009.
Create your own player, join the new World Tour, where you will be trained by a real-life legend of tennis, and compete for the #1 ranking against the planet’s biggest stars. Then take your character online and prove you’re the best with the new online ranking system!

With brand new courts to test your skills in, a new roll call of tennis stars to compete against and even more popular court minigames, Virtua Tennis 2009 is set to be a bigger hitter than ever before!
Key Features:

New World Tour & Online Rankings - Take your career online and compete for the ultimate title of ‘Virtua Tennis Champion’ with the new PS3 and Xbox 360 online ranking system. Earn prize money from online tournaments and purchase over 800 shop items in the new Tennis Store.

New Players / Courts – Over 20 of the world’s top players, including seven new to Virtua Tennis and three legends. Take to the court in new arenas and the officially licensed Davis Cup providing the most realistic tennis competition to date.

New Player Creation System – Now have full control over facial, body, and clothing customization as well as the depth to populate the game world with 100’s of unknown opponents.

More Court Games – Compete in 12 minigames, 5 completely new, for either single or multiplayer action where players can upload their hi-scores onto the worldwide rankings in games such as Zoo Feeder and Pirate War.

Improved Gameplay – Courtside action is better than ever, with extensive updates to the famous arcade-style Virtua Tennis match engine as well as 3D crowds and a more realistic courtside experience.

Re: Virtua Tennis 2009

Looking forward to this, should be good :TU:.

Last edited by a moderator:

I got in touch with the "original" VT first at the arcades then on PC, played VT2 quite a lot at the arcades, then loved VT3 more than any other game in summer 2007.

I'd love VT2009 multiplayer to provide the same feeling VT3 multiplayer provided: it got you sweating and suffering against a tough opponent, then suddenly a good play brought you to 7th Heaven, then again you go back suffering to keep the advantage..
Definitely, one of the games I enjoyed (and still enjoy now and then) the most, against friends (with PES5 and PES6 of course) and also in the world tour mode, even if it wasn't that deep.

I know exactly what you mean :)). Played some amazing online matches in Virtua Tennis 3, some intense rallies then do you decide to keep playing it safe and wait for a mistake, or go for an all out winner yourself. Some great times, especially in Online Doubles, me and CW had one game that lasted 45 minutes against this other pair on xbox live! :))

don't they know some people have real friends too
I assume you don't play PES that often then.. A couple of matches against the so-called "friends" and you're not calling them "friends" anymore. :CURSE:
At least until the end of the tournament you're playing in.. :P

after having a go at top spin 3, i think this one is more fun. top spin 3 is too serious and knocks out the fun in tennis.

This however sounds brilliently especialy the career mode which was utter shit on top spin3.

looking forward to this indeed

I assume you don't play PES that often then.. A couple of matches against the so-called "friends" and you're not calling them "friends" anymore. :CURSE:
At least until the end of the tournament you're playing in.. :P
Used to but always 2vAI, that had the "why did you not pass I was wide open" shouting moments... :))

VT = arcade unless they changed it now? Much preferred the gameplay of TopSpin3, shame the career mode in that was just so utterly shite :(

I love VT3 and TS3, but Top Spin 3 have a big problem with the net for a simulation, you can touch the net always at the same level, it's crazy, it's very scripted.

What A Great Vid, games look very very good indeed. The Graphics are realy nice and the clips show that that the game will be quite smooth, Plus there are some new liscences i have noticed like nadal wearing nike and murray wearing his brand.

OT: Does 100hz motionflow work well on games. Because I know it works great on blurays.

Never played VT before. Is this a little 'childish' or cartoonish version of tennis? That last vid doesn't impress me, or is that just what 'training' is like to make it more light-hearted.

Gonna get a Tennis game eventually, but will have to wait and see which.

Never played VT before. Is this a little 'childish' or cartoonish version of tennis? That last vid doesn't impress me, or is that just what 'training' is like to make it more light-hearted.

Gonna get a Tennis game eventually, but will have to wait and see which.
Yes :(, Virtua Tennis has always been a "childish" version of tennis and has to be near the most unrealistic sports game there is.
VT 2009 doesn't look like changing that, so i'll be giving it a miss.

I'd recommend Top Spin (hopefully there's a sequel) if you want a more realistic game - also it will be interesting to see how EA's Grand Slam Tennis for 360/PS3 will turn out, hopefully EA do as good a job on it as they do on their other recent sports games :).

Yes :(, Virtua Tennis has always been a "childish" version of tennis and has to be near the most unrealistic sports game there is.

I'd recommend Top Spin (hopefully there's a sequel) if you want a more realistic game - also it will be interesting to see how EA's Grand Slam Tennis for 360/PS3 will turn out, hopefully EA do as good a job on it as they do on their other recent sports games :).
childs game? you must be mistaked VT for mario tennis. now THATS a childs game.
VT is an "arcade" game

well, if they took away the ridiculous "diving", this year version might be at least playable...

childs game? you must be mistaked VT for mario tennis. now THATS a childs game.
VT is an "arcade" game
For me, arcade game = childish game.
Games are seen as "arcade games" when they are unrealistic and very easy to play - that means that a child could play it to a decent level having seen very little of the sport and have no knowledge of tactics etc.
That's what VT is like, therefore I see it as a childish game.

I see, well I'm gonna definitely give it a miss too then. Cuz I'm just not into any games like that.

Top Spin 3 I've played the demo and although it's a fairly decent SIM like Placebo says, it didn't excite me enough, wasn't as engaging or fun as I thought it'd be and since the career mode is $hit too according to you guys, I'm gonna give both a miss.

Looks like if any tennis game, it'll have to be EA's but we'll have to wait and see how that comes out...

I agree, Top Spin 3 does lack excitement and variation and the career mode is rubbish, but it's the best of a bad bunch at the moment I think.

The lack of players in all tennis games annoys me a lot - you end up either playing fake players a lot (like in Top Spin) or playing the same players over and over again (Virtua Tennis). Imagine if in a football game you only had 3 teams from each country and only about 30 in the whole game, it would be a joke, it's basically the same thing.

This game isn't fantastic but I think the creators of the commercially released games could learn a thing or two from the gameplay of it - http://www.bimboosoft.com/DMTP/ (there's a demo if you want to try it).
Any shot can go anywhere, it's completely down to you - the positioning of your player and timing of your shots is key to the quality of the shot. That's a proper simulation approach, the animations, graphics etc suck really badly though in that game as well as most of the players being from the 80's/90's...

Last edited by a moderator:
Another helpful reply.

I see which you mean about TS3 being the best of a bad bunch and the low number of real life players. It's a shame really. That no one has been able to create a truly awesome Tennis game yet.

Oh well, it's not like I'm a huge Tennis fan anyway but like most sports, I do enjoy it and it'd be nice to have a top notch game for it in the near future.

p.s. Checked out EA's Wii Tennis game the one that's gonna come out later on ps3 and it doesn't seem like that's the one we're looking for either...

Another helpful reply.

I see which you mean about TS3 being the best of a bad bunch and the low number of real life players. It's a shame really. That no one has been able to create a truly awesome Tennis game yet.

Oh well, it's not like I'm a huge Tennis fan anyway but like most sports, I do enjoy it and it'd be nice to have a top notch game for it in the near future.

p.s. Checked out EA's Wii Tennis game the one that's gonna come out later on ps3 and it doesn't seem like that's the one we're looking for either...
yea the EA game looks and sounds more childish then this but then again thats the wii version

VT is a very good game, but i don't buy the 2009 for sure now, i see first preview and it's almost the copy paste of the VT3, i sell it few month ago, good arcade game (arcade don't mean bad), i have Top Spin 3 but i don't play it now, boring in very high level, need more variation, it's like a fake simulation, now i waiting the EA Sport Tennis on PS3, EA says very realistic game.

"This fall, EA SPORTS Grand Slam Tennis will also be served up for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. With stunning realism, it will feature innovative control systems and robust online** capability. Classic matches from the past will be recreated, along with simulated dream match-ups that weren't possible before. "

For me, VT is better than TS. In TS you have to be Stephen Hawking just to work out how to hit the ball back!

Back
Top Bottom