u17 World Cup

sonoman

Champions League
13 November 2003
México
Mexico / Türkiye
no one following this?
it's being held in Mexico and today the semifinals were played.

Mexico won an epic match against Germany:
http://youtu.be/E-o-43QE4sA

Uruguay pounded Brazil:
http://youtu.be/lTLsfWCejxg

I already got a ticket for the final which will take place next sunday at Estadio Azteca, it was pretty cheap (about 30USD)

If Mexico wins this it'll be the 2nd in a row, and we'll surely export some of this yougsters.. it's has been quite bright for Mexican footbal lately :)

Last edited:
Well done México. We've seen some nice goals in this "Mundial"
I've watched only a few matches of Brazil, and we had a very good attack with two hot prospects, Adryan from Flamengo and Piazon from Chelsea, but wasn't enough in the end

Last edited:
I have. Some great great football there, especially when compared to Copa America. :P

Amazing match the latter, Julio Gomez must be a star in Mexico after that ending!

Brazil-Uruguay was weird, we dominated but silly defending cost us. Adryan was a huge miss too.

yeah, this has been WAY better than Copa America so far..

lol, as you said Gomez is a national hero by now!

i didn't get to see the other semi-final, but judging by the highlights Brazil defense looked really shaky

no one following this?

My experience tells me that the only ones who really care about this u-17 and u-20 WC's are the host country and the country that wins it, it's going to happen the same with the u-20 that is going to be held in my country I think...

thaks!
I hope this will be another good generation of Mexican footballers.
they had a great tournament, winning all 7 matches

I didn't watch anything indeed.
but I would like to know some names which shined in the tournament, wanna keep an eye on the next big talents...
Congrats to Mexico by the way ;)

sure:

Golden Ball: Julio Gomez (Mexico)
It is no wonder why his boss at club side Pachuca has already used attacking midfielder Gomez in a first-team game in Mexico’s top flight. With a balance of vision, rugged determination and stomach for the fight, the Tampico-born man played a crucial role in putting the home side into the final. He opened the scoring in the semi-final against Germany, set-up the second and then grabbed the game-winner with a stunning overhead kick. The feat was all the more impressive considering he suffered a head injury in the game that required seven stitches.

Silver Ball: Jorge Espericueta (Mexico)
The Tigres player was a solid rock in the heart of Mexico’s midfield throughout their glory run. As good a passer as he is on the defensive end of things, he was the quiet inspiration in a team that played fluid and free-flowing football for the last month. Although he only scored two goals at the finals, they were crucial ones against Germany in the semis and Congo in the first round.

Bronze Ball: Carlos Fierro (Mexico)
One of the true standouts on a Mexican team loaded with talent, the Chivas Guadalajara youngster was always dangerous in front of goal. Slight of build but brave of heart, the Sinaloa-born forward, who models himself on current Manchester United ace and former club-mate Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernandez, had a knack for getting into dangerous positions and finishing with aplomb.

Golden Glove: Jonathan Cubero (Uruguay)
The FIFA Technical Study Group (TSG) awarded Uruguayan goalkeeper Jonathan Cubero the adidas Golden Glove for best goalkeeper in the tournament. Solid, tall and with an uncanny positional sense, the Cerro man helped Uruguay earn their reputation as the meanest defence at these finals, only conceding five goals in his team’s seven games.

Golden Shoe: Souleymane Coulibaly (Côte d'Ivoire)
One of ten forwards listed in the Côte d'Ivoire squad, the Siena-based ace stood head-and-shoulders above the crowd. His haul of nine goals is a record-equaling feat, tying previous tournament top scorer Florent Sinama Pongolle, who reached the milestone with three more games ten years ago. With a fierce combination of pace, power, deadly finishing and overall panache, Coulibaly scored all four in a smashing 4-2 win over Denmark. The youngster kept the momentum with a hat-trick in a thrilling 3-3 draw with Brazil. He scored again as the Elephants ran out of gas in a round-of-16 loss to France. Scoring nine of his side’s ten goals, Coulibaly surely looks a player with a bright future.

Silver Shoe: Samed Yesil (Germany)
With a poacher’s vision and deadly finishing skills, Yesil – who lines up in the youth team for Bayer Leverkusen - was one of the great all-around strikers at these finals. In a German side that scored goals for fun, Yesil stood out among his mates as the team bagged 24 goals in the space of their seven games. Finding the seams among even the tightest defences, Yesil’s speed, elegant touch and nose for goal saw him score six goals (and set up a further five) in a tournament where the Germans finished third.

Bronze Shoe: Adryan (Brazil)
His two goals against Germany in the match for third place saw Adryan pip his free-scoring teammate Ademilson to the third-top scorer prize. Known more as a metronome in the Brazilian side, prodding and probing from the playmaker’s position, the Flamengo starlet showed that he could also find the back of the net when needed, scoring no fewer than five times.

:)

Last edited:
Arsenal made a bid for Carlos Fierro £2m to Chivas and will loan him back for next season plus play them friendly match. No sure how concrete but Vela was the golden boot a few years back.

he seems to play way different form Vela, I hope he develops better to say the least!

@ sonoman
wooow You guys are rock...snached the tree balls :P
Thanks for informing me, it's more than what I expected indeed :)

Back
Top Bottom