Top Spin 4

Haha well maybe not as bad as Tennis Elbow but they are still pretty awful.

According to me, this isn't really awful.

screenshot-HD.jpg

I just put my top spin 4 up for sale used on amazon.

I only played a few weeks into the career but it was just boring.

Tennis games are only fun when you play with your friends. They should design a really interesting multiplayer for one of them and then, maybe, it will be worth to invest in tennis games :)
I agree that multiplayer is the best part, there's online forums that organise their own tournaments/seasons etc. for many tennis games.

There was one for Top Spin since the very first on the original Xbox, when I played Dream Match tennis there was one (which I got involved with for a bit) and on the Tennis Elbow forums they also do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started playing the game. It is tennis after all. I am playing a few exhibition matches after the Academy and find the CPU makes a few unforced errors. Might get boring after a while but what game doesn't?

well prob for me was it got boring fast.

I aint bored of fifa 12 and thats a good few months+fifa 11/10= 30months? non stop fifa play tbh.

Id play PES 12months per year as well.

So I think sports games need something to make them less boring than other types of games.

So I think sports games need something to make them less boring than other types of games.

I think the key for sports games that use a ball is to make it so the ball can react in as many ways as possible as it would in real life, so that the action is always different, and therefore you don't get tired of it.

In my opinion, that was the number one thing that made ISS and then PES way better than FIFA in the 90s, and made me addicted. You got a football that when you'd shot at goal could for instance bounce on both posts and come back in play, which would never happen in the FIFA counterparts.
I think Full Ace does the same with a tennis ball, and I've never seen any tennis game even remotely approaching the way it deals with that aspect. I love how sometimes you ask for a challenge and it is in or out by only a millimeter or even less...

I think the key for sports games that use a ball is to make it so the ball can react in as many ways as possible as it would in real life, so that the action is always different, and therefore you don't get tired of it.

In my opinion, that was the number one thing that made ISS and then PES way better than FIFA in the 90s, and made me addicted. You got a football that when you'd shot at goal could for instance bounce on both posts and come back in play, which would never happen in the FIFA counterparts.
I think Full Ace does the same with a tennis ball, and I've never seen any tennis game even remotely approaching the way it deals with that aspect. I love how sometimes you ask for a challenge and it is in or out by only a millimeter or even less...

Yes thats true Iss/pes wasnt fixed it was random, nothing ever happened exact same all the time, the players stats, his position as he hits the ball, the angle he is facing, the distance his foot to the ball etc...etc...would all efffect how the kick would go. It oculd then deflect of another player spin up and change angel, hit a post, hit the keepers head come out, hit a defender, hit the corner flag, bounce back etc..etc..lol

So, yeh thats what kept you coming back as it was always fresh. Like real life variability and randomness in the game. Though it was an arcade game it had that kinda freedom in the gameplay which gave it a slight simulation feel and more openess and fun.

Also, sports games need good game modes for the long term.

Master league provided that as does Fifas new career mode and perhaps ultimate team.

Last edited:
Also, sports games need good game modes for the long term.

Master league provided that as does Fifas new career mode and perhaps ultimate team.

Yeah, Full Ace's tour mode features close to 2000 players and more than 550 tournaments. It's laughable in big companies' tennis games how you always end up playing the same opponents again and again. In Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2 on PS2, there were only 8 featured star players, and I remember on a season there were 5 of those I each faced more times than the 3 other combined. Such a shame, and don't get me started about the times when you were n°1 in the rankings and you met n°2 before the final, and other similar mistakes...

I paid 15.00UK pounds I have for sale at same price.

I might give it a 2nd chance I couldnt get into it. I was more into VT2 on ps2 my last tennis game.

What I think is silly they made only 2 ways to shoot. either tap or full power, anything in between is crap.

I think PC tennis games really need to work on their animation engines as they all look so wooden.

Actually, I think Full Ace's animation engine makes a real good work of blending animations so they chain smoothly. The real problem is not with the engine, it is that small studios can't afford motion capture.

Back
Top Bottom