Togo footballers shot in ambush

I'm so sorry for that, just can't believe :(
Hope that there were no some really serious injuries(wounds)...
RIP for the driver...

I just read that Togo will play but Adebayor would return to Man City...i'm not sure if that's true however...

Somebody hear what is with Kodjovi Obilale ? I heard his died (one of friends says it, but on his club website was information that his is critical ill, but alive) ?

Maybe somebody know ?

Udinese are calling back Asamoah from Ghana. I think other teams will follow.

RIP for the people who died. :(

Wenger said it best ..."I don't want to do that (recall players) because I believe it will be disrespectful to Africa and to the African Nations Cup."

I agree if players feel trouble let them move on out of the competition . This was a terrible attack ,but you should not let this act stop the game. That`s giving these lunatic too much power.

Where did you read that Kodjovi Obilale died? I didn't find anything. The last I read is that he was transferred to a hospital in South Africa, is conscious but could lose movements in his legs. That's so bad :(

After going through this there was no way Togo could carry on to play in this competition indeed.

For me the recalling of players is just an excuse to bring players back to the club squads.

Completely agree stef...big clubs wouldn't even consoder that if it would be European Championships or in South-America...and let's be honest things like that could happen in Europe too...one lunatic is enough.

Such a shame, RIP to those who passed away.

I agree, It should be the players decision if they want to return but Clubs shouldn't get involved by calling players back.

African Cup of Nations - Togo goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale 'conscious'

Togo goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale is recovering at a South African hospital from injuries sustained when the team's bus was attacked in Angola, a medical official has said.

"He is conscious and in a stable condition. He is fully receptive he understands where he is. We will still be taking him to theatre, he has obviously suffered some internal injuries," Doctor Richard Friedland, who is treating the player at Milpark hospital in Johannesburg, told Talk Radio 702.

Obilale was shot in the chest and stomach during the attack in the Angola province of Cabinda, and was initially reported to have died by several news agencies and his team-mate Jonathan Ayite.

Two members of the Togolese national soccer delegation died after Friday's gun attack on the bus as it travelled to the African Cup of Nations in Angola.

The attack, which also killed the bus driver, came five months before South Africa hosts the World Cup, the first African nation to hold the world's biggest single-sport event.

There has been uncertainty as to whether the Togo team will take part in the tournament, which runs from January 10 to 31.

Togo's government said on Saturday it was pulling the team out in response to the assault, although squad members have been quoted as saying they are determined to play.

"Togo are staying in the competition. I have called the players and they want to play. We are now awaiting official confirmation from the Togolese government," said Kodzo Samlan, a press officer at the Confederation of African Football.

He added that Togo team captain, Emmanuel Adebayor, was with the team.

A junior official at the Angolan sports ministry confirmed the Togo team was waiting for an announcement from Togo's president at about 1400 GMT to find out whether they are to take part in the tournament.

Angola's first game in Cabinda was scheduled against Ghana on Monday.
Reuters

Source

Apparently the players said they want to play, but their president (?) told them to withdraw.

I also say it's to everyone's choice whether they want to retreat - in fear or protest - or keep on playing.

Yeah, but can you imagine all the sponsors and broadcasting companies? And the clubs who don't want to lose their players at a different date... too much money was at stake, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom