• Fully Assisted

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Manual Passing and/or Crossing, Assisted Shooting

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Manual Shooting, Assisted Passing and/or Crossing

Votes: 11 15.7%

• Total voters
Definitely fully manual.

If you tried shooting on manual in FIFA 09, then you will find it easier on FIFA 10, well I do in the demo anyway.

I guess it depends how responsive the passing is on clubs though, might need to switch back to semi

Mixed between full manual and semi passing/shooting with the rest on manual.

I'm finding I'd like to play full manual and I do enjoy it, but being closed down all the time and not having time to "power" a pass up means I get frustrated easily.

Hopefully the full game will be more forgiving with the pressure and I can move to full manual permanently, otherwise I'll be on SMSMM like I was with 09.

... but being closed down all the time and not having time to "power" a pass up means I get frustrated easily.

That is the downside with manual passing. I don't think it powers up quick enough. I have no problem with the manual high passes, but the ground passes takes ages to power up. I moaned about it in the official forums to try to make them implement a slider in the advanced options so you can choose the power up speed yourself, but I'm pretty much the only one wanting that so it's no surprise they didn't bother with it.

Otherwise they should speed it up. So the longer you hold it down the quicker it charge up. This way you can still make short passes and max out too pretty quickly if you want to.

I'll be on all semi except the ones you cant put on semi

Manual is just unplayable against the CPU and especially online because of the time it takes to power up even the shortest of passes and with the fast pressing of the AI and assisted people combined meaning your never gonna have enough time to power them up

FIFA World Cup 2002 had a pass/shot power-up speed slider... that was for "assisted" (only option) as well - it's even more important to have that option now we have manual, but now it's not there! :(

This is why playing against people who use semi/assisted is impossible, because as well as having their pass aimed for them, they don't have any delay when they want to pass it a long distance...

Last edited by a moderator:
Passing and shooting on semi with the rest on manual.

I've never scored a single goal with shooting on manual in FIFA09. I'm a very average player and find it hard enough to create some good goal opportunities. And missing every single one is way to frustrating at the moment. Semi shooting seems fine to me. Still missing a lot but i can score some nice ones too.

Passing on manual is ok but i can't do some quick short passes. For me it seems a little bit inaccurate especially on 90° passes. I played hundreds of passes into the back of my teammates. I'll give manual passing another chance today but i don't have the feeling it get better.

Crossing on manual is still hard but i get use to it by now. Long passes are beautiful and it's pure Joy to play a perfectly timed long Pass.

call me a noob (ok dont)
but never noticed that you could change it.... intill when i got Fifa 10 (my last one was 08) alot of my passes were STUPID. Not like just one run being broken up. But like every ball i played went for a longer pass, and the power always let the pass low to snails pace, then gets nicked they play the through ball and score.
I decided to change to semi on most things (if i cant use semi its staying as assisted for the time being) Im definatly going to try up my game to manual though. (if i ever get there)

Passing on manual is ok but i can't do some quick short passes. For me it seems a little bit inaccurate especially on 90° passes. I played hundreds of passes into the back of my teammates.

I'm with you.

I feel like the PS3 stick is very loose, so even when you think you're holding it at 90 degrees, it's slight out. I also find that when you let go of it, it flicks in the opposite direction ever so slightly, so sometimes I can cross, but because I've let go of the stick after holding it 'up' it crosses 'down' and straight out of play. :RANT:

I'm with you.

I feel like the PS3 stick is very loose, so even when you think you're holding it at 90 degrees, it's slight out. I also find that when you let go of it, it flicks in the opposite direction ever so slightly, so sometimes I can cross, but because I've let go of the stick after holding it 'up' it crosses 'down' and straight out of play. :RANT:

I stop using manual on passing and crossing in the meantime, cause it was way to frustrating for me. Switched back to semi and enjoy this game much more now.

I don't know if it's a problem with the PS3 stick only (don't now much about xbox360 stick). But the PS3 stick definitely feels very loose, as you say. You need to be mega uber brutal accurate even on short passes. Drives me crazy.

Last edited:
I really want to get to grips with playing manual but i don't know which difficulty to start off on, any tips?

Play professional against the cpu, with all manual except shooting. Leave shooting on semi and when you have mastered the rest, then begin manual shooting.

The key element is manual passing. Once you get that down, the rest goes quickly. The learning curve is ridiculous, so the first days you won't be able to hit the most elemental passes. But believe me, once you get it, there's no way back, because you can play precious passes to space that would be impossible on any other control setting.

A good goal in manual often leads to different outcomes than in semi/assisted, and you get to play in a more creative way, despite the fustration of playing a shitty cpu AI.

I'm not sure about speeding manual passing power bars up. I just worry that you'd lose the fidelity when trying to make extremely short passes. Maybe that's not such a problem when using through ball passing as well, since that is generally softer...

Personally I'd want to see L2/T and R2/T used to modify the speed of the charge up. L2 can be for softer (read as weaker) passes, thus slowing the power bar down. R2 can perhaps make the bar charge up more quickly so you can hit cross field balls more quickly. Or, EA can just make manual passes charge up more quickly anyway, with only L2 being a modifier for those special cases where you need to hit the ball more softly.

I have truly mastered manual, playing some quality football! I would post some of the goals on my ea sports world profile, but apparently I have already registered :S

Drek, you were right buddy, manual passing is great! Just being able to do a proper lay of ie. playing the pass slowly and just infront of the oncoming player. And just generally being able to give your player a bit of room to run into by passing the ball further wide than normal. My only problem is still all the noobs that use assisted online i find myself using 3 or 4 -0 every match.

I think I would like to try manual after reading all this!
Thing is I mostly play against the CPU.
So... what level of difficulty do you think I should try at? And what game length so as to get realistic results?
Thanks in advance! :)

I started offf with Professional CPU, with 8 min halves and got some pretty good games out of it, i have moved onto world class though, so i may put it up to 10 mins.

Back
Top Bottom