• Manual Shooting, Assisted Passing and/or Crossing

Votes: 11 15.7%

• Total voters

Scutch

Futsal Master
31 October 2006
Cumbria, UK
Tottenham Hotspur
Straight to the chase, I'm all for having full control of everything in a football game, but there are also moments where I don't wish to delve into a learning circle and pull myself up many steps. With that in mind, I admit to not being too familiar with the "Manual" setup in Fifa. I choose to have my Shooting, Passing and Crossing all set to "Semi-Assisted". Now, I'm certainly interested in switching to "Manual", as I've now read so many positive comments about how it improves the game, now only from an enjoyment point of view, but also one which delivers satisfaction.

Apparently it takes quite a while to get used to it all. I think this is my problem, as although I have a pretty long fuse for patience, I don't want to be spraying passes to the opposition, or firing shots at the corner flag. Just how long does it take to become accustomed to manual controls, and is it better just having one or two fields set to manual, and perhaps the others set to assisted?

Will be interesting to see what others are using, but I'll definitely be giving manual controls more of a look in this time around ... :COOL:

A timely addition from Chris Davies :

When you're playing online this year, if you want to apply the controller filter (i.e. so you don't have to play fully-assisted knobs people all the time), you've only got three choices.

MANUAL - Everything set to manual
ASSISTED - Everything set to assisted
SEMI-ASSISTED - Semi shooting, semi passing, semi crossing, manual through-passes, assisted lobbing

Last edited:
fully manual for me, it does get frustrating sometimes, but the best thing is to increase the match length. i play on 10min halves on world class and get a nice mix of results from losing by 1,2 or 3 goals to winning by at the most 4 and still getting some 0-0's

fully manual for me, it does get frustrating sometimes, but the best thing is to increase the match length. i play on 10min halves on world class and get a nice mix of results from losing by 1,2 or 3 goals to winning by at the most 4 and still getting some 0-0's

Am I right in thinking you still use the pass button, or is it much like PES in that you use the Right Analogue to pin-point your passing? I found that a bit hit and miss, really.

This is one sector of Fifa where I'm a complete newbie. Everything else I've at least dabbled in.

Am I right in thinking you still use the pass button, or is it much like PES in that you use the Right Analogue to pin-point your passing? I found that a bit hit and miss, really.

This is one sector of Fifa where I'm a complete newbie. Everything else I've at least dabbled in.
yeah you use the normal buttons

Yeah. It's like shooting/crossing. Aim with left stick, power up with the pass button. No question all manual for me, I've used it ever since then FIFA07 demo and I'm very frustrated by the limitations when playing PES. Best way to learn is probably to find someone who is about the same level as you and you both use manual, less frustrating that way than playing assisted idiots pinging the ball around in 900 mph.

Last edited:
the good thing about increasing the half length is that you don't feel rushed to play, which means you don't try the 'killer pass' all the time and lose possesion. also if you concede a goal on 80 mins for example you'll still have time to get a couple of chances

Because Fifa is so good at allowing full manual to be so good, it should be everyones method of choice if you play FIFA alot.

You can do things you just can't on assisted/semi

I love Manual passing. I'm just so bad at the crossing ans shooting. crosses always go out of play and the well the shooting is just shocking. I get nowhere near the target.

Well I'll definitely be aiming to make passing my preferred method in F10. But as said above, it seems that shooting and crossing can be a bit more difficult to master.

My 2 cents...this game becomes revolutionary using all manual controls. In multiplayer (for me) becomes the closest thing to actually lacing up and playing IRL. So far playing the demo, manual controls seems more intuitive. Frustrating @ first but well worth the time once you get the hang of it.

for crossing, just aim where you want it to go as your powering up (it is still difficult to get right, but soo satisfying when you plant a manual cross on someones head) and for shooting, try to shoot in the direction your moving, so if you want to shoot across the keeper position the player in that direction (basically use your players movement direction as a guide for the direction of shot).

I've switched back to semi passing/crossing in FIF09. But it seems manual control has been improved in FIF10. It feels less sensitive -> less frustrating. So back to full manual now.
I'm still not sure what I'm gonna use online, though (single/BAP)

Also remember that when you are on manual it will go where you aim even after you have powered up. So make sure you aim where you want all the way until the player actually kicks the ball, because you can change direction whenever you want while powering up the pass/cross/shot (and even after it is powered up if there is a delay before kicking the ball).

It's very easy to forget this and moving the left stick to early to make a run, resulting in passing at the wrong direction.

Something that may be handy to go into the first post of this topic...

When you're playing online this year, if you want to apply the controller filter (i.e. so you don't have to play fully-assisted knobs people all the time), you've only got three choices.

MANUAL - Everything set to manual
ASSISTED - Everything set to assisted
SEMI-ASSISTED - Semi shooting, semi passing, semi crossing, manual through-passes, assisted lobbing

I will be playing on fully manual myself - for the first time ever, after getting to grips with the manual shooting just towards the end of FIFA 09's lifespan - but if it gets too much and too many passes go astray for me, which is my biggest problem at the minute, I might be a bit of a semi-knob kop-out and drop down to the semi setting instead.

Will start of with Semi Assisted (usually have those settings except for Manual Lobbing) Will be interesting to see if you'll even be able to find a game on Manual settings or even Semi Assisted.

I use the settings below at the moment, reason I use semi for passing is mainly because it can be annoying to not be able to pass instantly with any sort of power, but I'm certainly going to give manual a proper try when I get the full game and have more time to build up attacks.

It depends on the ocasion. Off line I'll play full manual, while online I would play a mix of semi-passing, semi-crossing and manual.

Fully Manual - I'm not the best at it, in fact i'm pretty crap, but I can't really enjoy the game any other way now because I just don't feel involved in the game if all I have to do is vaguely aim and tap a button to get inch perfect passes/shots/crosses...
If you mess something up on manual, it's your fault... likewise when you do something good on manual it's down to you and I like that.

I'll play on semi against my mates if they refuse to play on manual or against random people online, maybe on clubs as well, but offline it's always fully manual :).

Oh, and anyone who plays assisted on the analog stick = :FAIL:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fully Manual - I'm not the best at it, in fact i'm pretty crap, but I can't really enjoy the game any other way now because I just don't feel involved in the game if all I have to do is vaguely aim and tap a button to get inch perfect passes/shots/crosses...
If you mess something up on manual, it's your fault... likewise when you do something good on manual it's down to you and I like that.

I'll play on semi against my mates if they refuse to play on manual or against random people online, maybe on clubs as well, but offline it's always fully manual :).

Oh, and anyone who plays assisted on the analog stick = :FAIL:.

I'll have to play you online, pretty irritating learning manual against the computer. ;)

Yeah. It's like shooting/crossing. Aim with left stick, power up with the pass button. No question all manual for me, I've used it ever since then FIFA07 demo and I'm very frustrated by the limitations when playing PES. Best way to learn is probably to find someone who is about the same level as you and you both use manual, less frustrating that way than playing assisted idiots pinging the ball around in 900 mph.
As if you're even close to my level. :)

I've been on fully manual ever since they started giving us the option, makes for a much more satisfying game. Really does make it impossible to go back to PES.

My preference is for manual everything except semi-shooting.

However, playing online against fully assisted folk (which is probably every single person I've ever player) just means you get the run around as they simply click, click, click and string endless, perfect, scripted passes together and then think they're a better player than you.

It should be better with FIFA10, with the option to play against only those with the same settings, but I wouldn't be even slightly surprised to find that the fully-manual lobby is completely empty most of the time, but the fully assisted lobby choc-a-bloc with players.

After all, we all have the option to pick any team from the hundreds available, yet 99% of online matches end up as Man U v Barca or similar.

All on Manual for me except Passing on semi, seems to make the game more fluid for me, can't explain it but changing passing from manual just makes that slight difference and makes it a better game.

As for shooting, crossing and throughballs that part can be so satisfying when you get it right.

I want a total revamp of the entire system. None of these systems are right.

I want to see two systems, and no choice. One system is almost identical to semi. Another system which is similar to passing on manual, crossing, and shooting somewhere in between manual and semi.

Oh, and leave the full manual in there.

So, literally three settings:

Amateur
Professional
Fully Manual (or World Class)

fully manual for me
but I wonder why this year should be different to find manual players online
they had those options in 09 as well and nobody played manual (except for friendlist)

I don't want to offend anyone, but I rellay find it strange, that the so called pro players, play ranked matches on fully assisted

I don't mind players using assisted controls. Not everybody wants to have a realistic but difficult control experience. I am also thinking of kids here. That's absolutely ok!

But those guys that play ranked online matches (several a week) proof that they spend a lot of time with this game, and learn the mechanics. But what they lear is how to make quick ping pong passes, auto-pressure,...
This is not the way I like the game at least.

So here is my concept: remove the amount of assisted controls in ranked matches the higher you get.

I've heard that assisted controls have been made a little bit more unreliable, and that manual players have an advantage over them. This gives me some hope as well.

Back
Top Bottom