The Mobile Phone thread

Windows Mobile is pretty shite compared to iPhone OS and Android etc. Personally I don't think I'd buy a phone with it.

Yeah I had a quick look at them. Sounds very similar to the Sense UI that HTC use, talking about all information in one place, rather than having to go through different apps to find out different things.

Last edited:
I take it you didn't spot the parts where it said it's nothing to do with Windows Mobile then? ;)

Windows Phone 7 is also something completely new for Microsoft: A total break from the past. Windows Mobile isn't just dead, the body's been dumped, buried and paved over by a rainbow brick road.

From PocketGPSWorld:

Windows Mobile is dead, long live Windows Phone 7

Nearly 3 years after the launch of the iPhone Microsoft seems to have suddenly woken up and realised that the World has changed, and today they effectively killed Windows Mobile and introduced in it place Windows Phone.

WP7 will require a new dedicated hardware platform with Start, Search and Bing hardware buttons. The interface is a tile based UI, which on first sight looks a little simplistic. Integrated into the OS are music, images and video from the Zune platform and also XBox live. The OS integrates with Enterprise applications such as calendar, contacts and email. I am also assuming that the hardware must have capacitive screens as it implements multi-touch gestures in a similar manner to the iPhone.

From the look of the presentation the LBS features are integrated well mainly based around Bing maps and search.

The system is based around integrated experiences consolidating various data sources into contextual categories which Microsoft call hubs. For instance "People" presents most recent contacted people wether by text, phone email etc… It also consolidates phone book, email accounts, exchange contacts, Windows Live, facebook etc. Other hubs include Pictures, Office,

It looks like Microsoft has indeed recognised the fact that it was lagging behind and has thrown out the old OS completely and has a refreshing fresh integrated OS. Unfortunately Windows Phone 7 will not be available in the shops until just before Christmas which sort of leaves a huge hole in the OS lineup in the run-up to the release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys - Im looking for a new mobile (handset only) to replace my work/personal phone..

Im looking at the nokia e72 - or maybe a blackberry

really dont want to spend a lot on a handset tbh, was looking at the e71 on fleabay for about 130quid.

The absolute most ill spend is 250 quid - but i really dont want to spend that much.

Anyone with any ideas or suggestions.

I love n95's as well, IMO best moby of the last 10 yrs imo.

Thing is i really want something with a keyboard ala blackberry bold..

How much would you want for yours anyway dags? Just out of interest

I can get £120 for it from those sites where you send it in, Mazuma etc, so I'd probably sell it for a bit under that I reckon.

Funny really because the N95 does what my iPhone does really, and is better in some ways like the camera. Just that smaller screen and buttons aren't as good I guess.

My manager has just got the Motorola Dext, looks pretty smart although I don't know how much it'd be to buy.

My work phone runs on Windows Mobile 5.1 and I need to put a program on it to be able to open and read .PDF files. I'm guessing it'll be some version of Adobe Reader, but I can't figure out which version or where to get it from. Anyone got any ideas? Cheers.

Anyone fancy helping me get the best deal for an iPhone? not really bothered about an iPhone 4 just yet so a 3GS 8GB will do.

At the minute I just have a shit Samsung touch thing, but the tariff Im on (Online Simplicity) is great thanks to a friend that used to work at O2. He piled on loads of talk time, texts, free O2 to O2 calls and free internet usage all for £20.42 a month!

So in an ideal world id like an Iphone with all that stuff I get on my tariff, but Im not sure if its possible to do so. Do you have to enter a 18/24 month contract for an Iphone ?

Any help would be great, Thanks

Why not get a htc desire s or desire HD?
I'd have thought you were trolling/being a fanboy a few weeks ago, but now that I have an Android phone I would also recommend these phones over the iPhone :).

So much more customisable, and you don't lose much (if anything) in terms of performance, and the app scene is getting to the same standard as the App Store (with a lot of apps being ported over/developed for both)... Also you can put an SD card into an Android, making it 16gb fairly cheaply, (<£20).

Can you buy a iphone or you looking for one in the contract?

Thats the thing, Id like an iphone but with the tariff Ive got at the min, that would probably mean me buying a PAYG iphone for like £400 which I'm not going to do. So it seems only option I have is going into a contract and paying more per month and getting less (mins/texts/internet) for what I'm paying at the min

In my opinion, yes.

Android is far more customisable than iOS - everything can be tweaked to be just the way you like it.
As a phone, that makes it the more practical choice.

However, if you want a nice looking toy to show off then the iPhone has no equal.

Anyone know how to add album art to songs/albums on Xperia Play? They don't want to show when I use Media Go which was supplied with it.

iPhone has cool factor but too many peeps have them.

Doesn't that say something though?

Personally, I couldn't care less if everybody had the same phone as me. It's not as if we are all wearing the same shirt on a night out.

Too many people have an XBOX / PS3 so sod that I'm not getting one. Too many people have bought the best game ever so best I give it a miss ;)

The amount of people that think that everyone buys an iPhone for the 'cool factor' absolutely does my head in. Its not the fact that its actually a extremely decent phone, no no, of course not.

We all just want to look 'cool' :)

Grow the fuck up.

Damn straight Flawless. Most of the people commenting on different phones here have only owned one type and suddenly think their experts in this field.

The iPhone is one of the best phones on the market. Period. In terms of pure functionality and a strong app catalogue there are few phones that can beat it. Its certainly not a 'toy' unless your a fucking retard. (Note that most people who bash these high-end phones actually cant afford them and as a result look for ways to make themselves feel better psychologically). Android is amazing as well and as a matter of fact my current phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2. And before that in 2008 the Palm Pre was great too and if they make improvements to WebOS it too can be a great platform.

I fancied a change from Android so I should be swapping my Galaxy S for an Omnia 7 on Friday, looking forward to seeing how Windows Phone 7's OS is different.

I can afford an iPhone, I own an iPod Touch (so know how iOS works) and know a number of people who own iPhones.

My iPod Touch does exactly what I want it to - stores a good portion of my music and lets me organise and play it easily, performs super-fast, has a bunch of fun games and novelty apps and has a high-quality display for videos - it's a well built device that I appreciate very much, but I wouldn't want it as my phone (iPhone = iPod Touch + phone).

I'm not being biased, I just don't see what the iPhone has to offer any more really over the Androids if you look into the features - Android is far more customisable from the outset (even before "rooting" which is the equivalent of jailbreaking and can be done in seconds), the apps are far less restricted in what they can offer due to not having such an "approval" process as in the Apple App Store - in fact there are quite a lot of third party "app stores" for Android now.

The way the apps can integrate themselves into the basic functioning of the phone far surpasses what I've seen on iOS, where they are more like standalone entities.

I can see the Android market/app development surpassing the Apple App Store in the not too distant future, this article backs that up;
http://www.mobilecommercedaily.com/...-content-platform-in-the-world-by-august-2011

Other things such as the presence of more physical buttons for easy navigation, the less intrusive notification system (plus an LED turns on if the screen is sleeping and you have unread notifications), homescreen widgets, removable/upgradeable storage and custom ROMs make it the more practical choice as a phone in my opinion.

The iPhone has a classy design and does perform very well, it's by no means a bad phone, but it is no longer the best money can buy. If you look at the pros and cons rationally, I fail to see how you could come to that conclusion at the moment.
As a toy/fashion item it's still king, but that's all.

P.S. - I think the logic that "people who can't afford it try to knock it" can be turned on it's head, into;
"People who are silly enough to waste their money on it try to justify their purchase"
Not many people are going to spend hundreds of pounds on something and then go on to have a balanced opinion of the superior altervatives.

Back
Top Bottom