The Master League adventures thread

I'd look at teaching (or purchasing) your forwards the "Prolific Winger" or "Goal Poacher" playing styles as it seems these provide the things you're looking for - penetrative runs in behind. If you need runs from deep try "Hole Player" for your attacking midfielders.

There's a solution in-game to almost any problem you might have, just takes a little thinking and looking for less obvious combinations.

This is the first time in years that I try ML, and I don' know if it's me, but I don't know what to do besides just play matches?? There is no player interaction, my scouts never find more than o couple of players (can you get new, better scouts?), I keep playing with the same players week after week because there are no injuries at all after half a season.

Please enlighten me what is so great about master league!

This is the first time in years that I try ML, and I don' know if it's me, but I don't know what to do besides just play matches?? There is no player interaction, my scouts never find more than o couple of players (can you get new, better scouts?), I keep playing with the same players week after week because there are no injuries at all after half a season.

Please enlighten me what is so great about master league!
I understand you, but still.. for me, most important thing is gameplay, this PES is different cause you don't play the same games with same tactics over and over again, for me it's interesting to play even against poor teams which was not the case with PES16.
About the scouting and about that "monotony" with the players I agree with you. But again we should wait some full patches which offers more players with faces etc...

Finally got to a point where I was happy with the Sacchi tactics so I thought I'd share with you guys as you gave me the idea!

NOTE: When selecting defensive instructions you can either use 'All Out Defence' or 'Frontline Pressure'. Both were employed by Sacchi against different opponents and in different match situations. These options work equally well in replicating Sacchi's zone oriented defensive scheme.

Another option is the 'Gegenpressing' advanced instruction (as shown in the video). Again, like the variations available in the defensive instructions Sacchi's team would sometimes counterpress against their opponents depending on the opponents themselves and the match situation. Use as you see fit.

Finally got to a point where I was happy with the Sacchi tactics so I thought I'd share with you guys as you gave me the idea!

NOTE: When selecting defensive instructions you can either use 'All Out Defence' or 'Frontline Pressure'. Both were employed by Sacchi against different opponents and in different match situations. These options work equally well in replicating Sacchi's zone oriented defensive scheme.

Another option is the 'Gegenpressing' advanced instruction (as shown in the video). Again, like the variations available in the defensive instructions Sacchi's team would sometimes counterpress against their opponents depending on the opponents themselves and the match situation. Use as you see fit.

Thanks Kenpachi . . . interesting.

Started a new master league, this time on Superstar and I just cant seem to create clear cut chances. Not enough movement in the final third. I've even tried forcing the issue and tweaking my attacking instructions. I'm playing with an advanced formation. High risk, high reward.

I've been playing 4-3-3. But when I've got the ball I push my fullbacks right up as LWF and RWF. So I effectively play with 5 attackers, 2 attacking midfielders, a DMF and two CB's. Without the ball I play a gegenpress to try and win it back as quickly as possible and as high up the pitch as possible.

I have like 70% possesion yet still cant get the runs and movement I need in the final third.

Who as? What's your team spirit & tactical suitability looking like?

I can't speak with any authority on Superstar. But maybe having 5 up top is too much, it means there's no space around players and the midfielders who drop back and mark mean you've got 5+6+GK = 12 players all bunched up. I bet a lot of your possession is just moving sideways as a result.

Instead of 2-3-5, you could encourage the CF to drop deeper to create a hole for the winger, or maybe the WFs should become AMs or L/RMs so they are in a position to pass to the overlappers.

Maybe you were already doing all this before you toyed with the formations. But what I do know is, I was in the same position as you two nights ago. Then I made a couple of key signings (Denis Suarez from Barca and a young guy called Andrigo who has one-touch, low driven pass and weighted pass), and more importantly I chose a tactic and stuck with it for a while to let my players understand it. I went for possession play, fairly close support, central attacking focus and wing rotation. A couple of games later and, instead of 0-0's, 1-0's, 0-1's, I found I'd scored 10 goals in 4 games. I conceded 7 too, but that's a new battle. Games in the rain are completely different - the CPU suddenly loves kick and rush, and my high defensive line is suddenly in tatters.

Sometimes you've just got to stick it out. I was tinkering 3 or 4 times a game and not making any progress because I wasn't sticking with anything long enough for it all to come together. Maybe play a few games with the same formation, same team, in exhibition. Then play ML and deal with the team spirit stuff layered on top of it.

Last edited:
Do you use fluid formation yourself?

Yeah I always do, it's a fantastic feature. Most importantly I always set my attackers to be as deep as possible and change any WF to MF to get a nice compact defensive shape. That's an easy stress free change for everyone to make that would definitely benefit their defending. Regardless of pressing high or pressing in your own half.

If you want a real challenge and to use your skills and players stats, manual shooting and PA0 is your cup of tea. Replay the same game on topplayer and let me know how it ended...
Actually on full manual is where the stats really shine.

No, I don't want a "real challenge": I know manual shooting and PA0 is a challenge, but I don't like to play PES that way. Also, player stats don't shine for me on Manual. I've played this past days and I don't see them. If I replayed the game I would play at professional, and maybe it would have ended 1-1 or 2-1, as my last results with manual were only wins and draws with little difference at goals.

Ahhh,you're a real mate Kenpachi.
Will throw myself into these later on.
Restarted my ML last night,so they will fit in very nicely.
Think my problem with my first ML season and injuries was due to live updates,no proof of course,but have a hunch
Cheers Ken

I can't speak with any authority on Superstar. But maybe having 5 up top is too much, it means there's no space around players and the midfielders who drop back and mark mean you've got 5+6+GK = 12 players all bunched up. I bet a lot of your possession is just moving sideways as a result.

Instead of 2-3-5, you could encourage the CF to drop deeper to create a hole for the winger, or maybe the WFs should become AMs or L/RMs so they are in a position to pass to the overlappers.

Maybe you were already doing all this before you toyed with the formations. But what I do know is, I was in the same position as you two nights ago. Then I made a couple of key signings (Denis Suarez from Barca and a young guy called Andrigo who has one-touch, low driven pass and weighted pass), and more importantly I chose a tactic and stuck with it for a while to let my players understand it. I went for possession play, fairly close support, central attacking focus and wing rotation. A couple of games later and, instead of 0-0's, 1-0's, 0-1's, I found I'd scored 10 goals in 4 games. I conceded 7 too, but that's a new battle. Games in the rain are completely different - the CPU suddenly loves kick and rush, and my high defensive line is suddenly in tatters.

Sometimes you've just got to stick it out. I was tinkering 3 or 4 times a game and not making any progress because I wasn't sticking with anything long enough for it all to come together. Maybe play a few games with the same formation, same team, in exhibition. Then play ML and deal with the team spirit stuff layered on top of it.
Good post mate.
Had a nightmare on my first season.
Started a new one last night.
Have two saves,Lazio and Milan.
See which one I go for.
But regardless of which,I'm going low budget and try to develop the existing squad and find the best tactics from the get go.
Probably Kenpachis Sacchi tactics
Good post

Ahhh,you're a real mate Kenpachi.
Will throw myself into these later on.
Restarted my ML last night,so they will fit in very nicely.
Think my problem with my first ML season and injuries was due to live updates,no proof of course,but have a hunch
Cheers Ken

Not a problem, hope they do the job for you!

I'm just setting up my new ML with Blackburn, hopefully I can get a few games in. Still waiting for manual passing and shooting to click. Played a game on PA1 for the last 30 mins and I have to say I miss being able to pop the ball around in tight spaces. It's a necessary part of the game that I can't really do on manual passing yet.

Not a problem, hope they do the job for you!

I'm just setting up my new ML with Blackburn, hopefully I can get a few games in. Still waiting for manual passing and shooting to click. Played a game on PA1 for the last 30 mins and I have to say I miss being able to pop the ball around in tight spaces. It's a necessary part of the game that I can't really do on manual passing yet.
Yes,those fast and short passes are the toughest.
But I'll take that,cause I love everything else that comes along with it
Good luck mate

I'm Liverpool and I try to play like they do in real life and if you watch them they don't really have a set system as such. Only when without the ball do they fall into one and even that is based on a high press, but when the press starts the whole team moves and slides with it, so there is some form to it in defence. However in attack there is no system as such. Fullbacks push right up as wingers and they'll just keep the two centre-backs back with Henderson playing deep. The rest of the team pushes on. If they lose the ball, the goal is to win the ball back quickly as possible high up the pitch to defend the counter-attack. Its high risk.

I feel I can do this in Pro Evo. I just gotta find a way of getting my forwards to pentrate more when I've got the ball. Right now I'm passing back and sideways waiting for them to move. Hence the 70% possesion and dominance. I can defend the opposition no problem.

I'm Liverpool and I try to play like they do in real life and if you watch them they don't really have a set system as such. Only when without the ball do they fall into one and even that is based on a high press, but when the press starts the whole team moves and slides with it, so there is some form to it in defence. However in attack there is no system as such. Fullbacks push right up as wingers and they'll just keep the two centre-backs back with Henderson playing deep. The rest of the team pushes on. If they lose the ball, the goal is to win the ball back quickly as possible high up the pitch to defend the counter-attack. Its high risk.

I feel I can do this in Pro Evo. I just gotta find a way of getting my forwards to pentrate more when I've got the ball. Right now I'm passing back and sideways waiting for them to move. Hence the 70% possesion and dominance. I can defend the opposition no problem.

Liverpool definitely have a system. Try changing your attacking settings to counter attack and attacking through the centre with flexible positioning. Klopp's team have a huge emphasis on fast transitions after winning the ball so you want to maximise your ability to do that.

Liverpool definitely have a system. Try changing your attacking settings to counter attack and attacking through the centre with flexible positioning. Klopp's team have a huge emphasis on fast transitions after winning the ball so you want to maximise your ability to do that.

I've tried that setup. Still not enough movement. I'll give Sturridge and Origi a run out because right now Firmino is playing too deep to do damage.

Klopp himself said no system in attack. "Be an option, or be protection."

Thats it. No such thing as formation in attack. Only form without the ball.

Yes,those fast and short passes are the toughest.
But I'll take that,cause I love everything else that comes along with it
Good luck mate

Rock I tried a new Ml with Cagliari and defaults . .I played the first match on Professional and pissed on my opponents 3-0 even scored a free kick. .. . the game played well but I dominated everything . .so I upped it to Top player and I have to hold my hands up and say that my problem was trying to adapt new tactics and players too early. . . I had two more matches and had a 0-0 match . .a great game and then won my next game 2-1. . . the old feeling came back from last year. . marvellous stuff . . .I now look at my previous ML on Pes 17 as a learning curve as you suggested. .. it's looking more balanced using the default formation for my team and everything is more responsive .. .I still have the other two formations as 3-5-2 and 4-3-3 but will implement them slowly instead of rushing towards change .. .I bought four players who I think will eventually make a contribution to the team but will use them sparingly .. .great session this evening.

Rock I tried a new Ml with Cagliari and defaults . .I played the first match on Professional and pissed on my opponents 3-0 even scored a free kick. .. . the game played well but I dominated everything . .so I upped it to Top player and I have to hold my hands up and say that my problem was trying to adapt new tactics and players too early. . . I had two more matches and had a 0-0 match . .a great game and then won my next game 2-1. . . the old feeling came back from last year. . marvellous stuff . . .I now look at my previous ML on Pes 17 as a learning curve as you suggested. .. it's looking more balanced using the default formation for my team and everything is more responsive .. .I still have the other two formations as 3-5-2 and 4-3-3 but will implement them slowly instead of rushing towards change .. .I bought four players who I think will eventually make a contribution to the team but will use them sparingly .. .great session this evening.
Yeahhh!
Great news pal
Happy for you,feel pretty much the same.
Just Started my xbox and will dig in to some tactics before playing,and will do the same,slowly get them in.
Also will set some limits to my transfers,only bring in reasonable players,not from rival teams etc.
Great news mate,and enjoy

Yeahhh!
Great news pal
Happy for you,feel pretty much the same.
Just Started my xbox and will dig in to some tactics before playing,and will do the same,slowly get them in.
Also will set some limits to my transfers,only bring in reasonable players,not from rival teams etc.
Great news mate,and enjoy

Nice one Rock.

Really glad to see you both getting back on board with your ML saves!
Thanks Ken
I'm doing your Sacchi tactics as we speak.
Will go for that as my main tactic.
Probably go for a 3-5-2 as my really offensive one when I need to win or equalise,must have a look around my team first,see which one fits

Thanks Ken
I'm doing your Sacchi tactics as we speak.
Will go for that as my main tactic.
Probably go for a 3-5-2 as my really offensive one when I need to win or equalise,must have a look around my team first,see which one fits

Ah, awesome! Hope they do the job - I think it's a pretty good replication so fingers crossed it gets results for you.

Can't beat a good ol' Italian 3-5-2.

Any good offensive tips within this tactic?

Any good offensive tips within this tactic?

You can mix it up between counter attack and possession game. That's the main one - you can honestly play either way with how the players are set up so don't be afraid to mix it up. Also, the 4-4-2 has a lot of natural width plus Milan have adventurous full backs. Crossing opportunities will be plentiful if you keep your eye out for them. Finally I'd say look to hit the CF often and early, there's a SS right behind him and wide midfielders looking to move centrally once the full backs have advanced so he'll always have a player to combine with. I played with Bacca and Bonaventura as my attacking pair and they had great chemistry.

Great tips mate.
My Milan lineup is pretty much out of the box,signed Josue (LMF) Song (CMF/DMF) and brought back Abbiati as back up for Donnarumma and Gabriel
Looking fw to my first game
Juve of course....

Back
Top Bottom