The key components to make an enjoyable football game

yeh i just tried it. I made some chances, goals and moves that would be impossible even on semi.

I felt like I had ability to put ball anywhere and much much more freedom when I had possesion.

However, I also felt like I had no idea where the ball was gonna go and 50/50 chance Id fuk it up lol. Like walking on egg shells kinda thing...

If you get good at manual it would make the game much better but it seems to take a lot of concentration. Even simple passes can be fukd up.

Yeah i find i dont have the patience for it...3 games and am back to Assisted/Semi.

Yeah i find i dont have the patience for it...3 games and am back to Assisted/Semi.

yep its not really fun. Need to concentrate to much. Thats where the arcade/sim debate coems back in.

But anyway they always had ability to hit ball anywhere in old pes games using the right stick...but I never used it..ever

Getting into this conversation late, but thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I think the words "simulation" and "realism" get used too much when talking about video soccer games. What these games should be striving for is "authenticity" in the gameplay. That "something" that PES magically had in its PS2 days and FIFA has never had (and PES definitely has declined in) is authenticity of gameplay.

I've played FIFA this year, and once again the same feeling I always have with FIFA of finding the "sweet spot" where I know I can create high % of chances just kills it for me. FIFA does a great job in other areas of non-gameplay authenticity (presentation, licenses, animations, etc), but the pure soccer experience just doesn't do it for me. PES still has some vapor trail residue of this and just feels more authentic in 2012 version when you can build up an attack. Unfortunately, for both FIFA and PES, this authentic feeling of real soccer is just not there long or often enough to be compelling.

What made PES so special on the PS2 was this feeling of authenticity. It was on rails and the passing was overly assisted, but man, if you played with Pirlo on your team, you felt like you had Pirlo on your team. When you started your ML with the default scrubs, they authentically sucked all over the pitch. The 1st new player you signed that upgraded any position was a joy because he authentically "felt" like an upgrade. And this would keep you playing for hours because you wanted to earn anough money to buy the next guy. I truly miss that feeling that really was the soul of this game. I don't care who gets it back again, PES or FIFA, but neither is really close IMHO this year.

Getting into this conversation late, but thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I think the words "simulation" and "realism" get used too much when talking about video soccer games. What these games should be striving for is "authenticity" in the gameplay. That "something" that PES magically had in its PS2 days and FIFA has never had (and PES definitely has declined in) is authenticity of gameplay.

I've played FIFA this year, and once again the same feeling I always have with FIFA of finding the "sweet spot" where I know I can create high % of chances just kills it for me. FIFA does a great job in other areas of non-gameplay authenticity (presentation, licenses, animations, etc), but the pure soccer experience just doesn't do it for me. PES still has some vapor trail residue of this and just feels more authentic in 2012 version when you can build up an attack. Unfortunately, for both FIFA and PES, this authentic feeling of real soccer is just not there long or often enough to be compelling.

What made PES so special on the PS2 was this feeling of authenticity. It was on rails and the passing was overly assisted, but man, if you played with Pirlo on your team, you felt like you had Pirlo on your team. When you started your ML with the default scrubs, they authentically sucked all over the pitch. The 1st new player you signed that upgraded any position was a joy because he authentically "felt" like an upgrade. And this would keep you playing for hours because you wanted to earn anough money to buy the next guy. I truly miss that feeling that really was the soul of this game. I don't care who gets it back again, PES or FIFA, but neither is really close IMHO this year.

100% spot on.

But as for fifa 12 if u mess with sliders and assiste/semi/manual settings u can make the game much more ''authentic''.

And I can feel the difference a lot between players in terms off shooting power, accuracy and strenght....differences in speed and passing is not so much noticed or well implemented IMO.

No No No. A lot of people are harping on about the sliders. Yep, they are great at tweaking the game to suit your preferences. However, they don't fix the underlying issue that eeeks away at me...not sure if it's momentum, inertia, or first touch but whatever you want to call it, I get the feeling it's very stop start.

For whatever problems PES has, when you pass the ball and receive it, there's more a fluid feeling. Slight little touches and changes in speed that makes it feel more natural.

Unless you flick the right stick on FIFA, I don't get the impression that you can have those really nice first touches with subtelty.

No No No. A lot of people are harping on about the sliders. Yep, they are great at tweaking the game to suit your preferences. However, they don't fix the underlying issue that eeeks away at me...not sure if it's momentum, inertia, or first touch but whatever you want to call it, I get the feeling it's very stop start.

For whatever problems PES has, when you pass the ball and receive it, there's more a fluid feeling. Slight little touches and changes in speed that makes it feel more natural.

Unless you flick the right stick on FIFA, I don't get the impression that you can have those really nice first touches with subtelty.

Sure I agree on that, something about fifa 12 just doesnt feel right and its hard for me to describe cause so much off it feels good also...but I was playing We9le PEs5 the other day and when I went back to FIFA 12 I say I prefer FIFA 12.

though I think the feeling of scoring a goal on Pes5 etc is much more rewarding and exciting...theres just something about it.

Even with edited sliders and semi shooting it still feels like a lot of shoots and attacking moves in fifa are guaranteed goals or going to score.

Whereas in PEs i feel that goals are more spontanous or something? I dunno hard to describe in words..its just a feeling u get when playing it.

Sure I can score many various type of goals in FIFA 12 as well. Its not like fifa 07 or something where u shoot same goal all the time into corners..But still old PES has a more raw/natural feel to it overall..Fifa feels much more like ''movie/cinematic football'' lol, its not raw and dirty and random

Last edited:
Lots of brilliant points here.

FIFA, I don't know, I just can't get any variation/enjoyment/unpredictability with it, regardless of what the sliders are, and I've tried everything. A nice game? Yes. But the game itself is so obviously linear that it seems merely moving your team from grid to grid until you can find that glitch move to score the same goal over and over. For the CPU; blatant cheating. FIFA is soulless therefore.

PES? Where do we start? For a start the player movements and positioning and the way that players press or not press hunt in packs sometimes and then let there be space makes it a game that is hard to exploit. You feel more reactive in a PES game as if the game is seemlessly unfolding. PES' problems stem from really shitty animations, inconsistent passing which can be infuriating, and on the consoles, top drawer cheating from the CPU with some glaring cheat moves.

PES still is the game with soul, but both games to be honest are miles away from simulated territory. Midfield battles are at a premium in both titles. In PES for example, I just want the CPU to have human frailties at the higher levels, I want passes to go astray and I don't want to be hunted down like cyborgs with precision. I want to play Superstar level, with zero assists, but knowing that both I and the CPU are on equal footing. It really would be a clash of the titans then.

The problem with going up to Superstar level for example, is that it is practically impossible for the game to be played with zero assists and still have the kind of lightening creativity that is needed. SO you are forced to play with assists on and then the game starts playing like a hundred mile and hour fest. You then slow the gameplay down, but then everything slows down; the ball is like a balloon, the players unresponsive and passing drags. I don't know, perhaps I am asking for something unattainable with a game anymore!

Lots of brilliant points here.

FIFA, I don't know, I just can't get any variation/enjoyment/unpredictability with it, regardless of what the sliders are, and I've tried everything. A nice game? Yes. But the game itself is so obviously linear that it seems merely moving your team from grid to grid until you can find that glitch move to score the same goal over and over. For the CPU; blatant cheating. FIFA is soulless therefore.

PES? Where do we start? For a start the player movements and positioning and the way that players press or not press hunt in packs sometimes and then let there be space makes it a game that is hard to exploit. You feel more reactive in a PES game as if the game is seemlessly unfolding. PES' problems stem from really shitty animations, inconsistent passing which can be infuriating, and on the consoles, top drawer cheating from the CPU with some glaring cheat moves.

PES still is the game with soul, but both games to be honest are miles away from simulated territory. Midfield battles are at a premium in both titles. In PES for example, I just want the CPU to have human frailties at the higher levels, I want passes to go astray and I don't want to be hunted down like cyborgs with precision. I want to play Superstar level, with zero assists, but knowing that both I and the CPU are on equal footing. It really would be a clash of the titans then.

The problem with going up to Superstar level for example, is that it is practically impossible for the game to be played with zero assists and still have the kind of lightening creativity that is needed. SO you are forced to play with assists on and then the game starts playing like a hundred mile and hour fest. You then slow the gameplay down, but then everything slows down; the ball is like a balloon, the players unresponsive and passing drags. I don't know, perhaps I am asking for something unattainable with a game anymore!

Dont play Superstar with Zero Assistance then, I dont believe it's designed to be played that way. Your already handicapping yourself by going 'natural' with Zero Assists. Find a level that feels right and balanced. Simple as that, as long as your still getting a challenge, what does it matter.

True Jimmy. I have been playing Master League with zero assists and Professional level. It feels well balanced. I can win some games, I sometimes draw a game I should have won and a couple of times have been belted by teams who didn't even give me a chance!

Went up to superstar level for a couple of exhibition games and the pressure from the AI is a lot more evident and they move the ball on very quickly (too quickly to be natural sometimes). Given that I get a good enough challenge on Professional, without screaming at the TV because the game is going into God mode, I don't play Superstar at the moment.

It's like some people who MUST play FIFA in full manual mode and Legendary. There's no shame in playing a lower level. If you go the hardest route, then it's a bit harsh of you to complain about the game.

What happens if you can beat the hardest settings easily? You'll get bored pretty quick...

Exactly.

I've just started my 4th season in the Championship with Boro in the ML, after finishing 4th in the league last season. There was a real buzz during the final weeks of the season, with promotion still a possibilty. The crowds flocked to the Riverside and I had my precious chants spurring me on. Unfortunately it wasnt to be, but we gave it one hell of a shot.

I've never, ever, been in a position on any PES where I couldnt advance from Div 2 after two attempts. This is totally different. It's an amazing experience on those settings. Love it.

Exactly.

I've just started my 4th season in the Championship with Boro in the ML, after finishing 4th in the league last season. There was a real buzz during the final weeks of the season, with promotion still a possibilty. The crowds flocked to the Riverside and I had my precious chants spurring me on. Unfortunately it wasnt to be, but we gave it one hell of a shot.

I've never, ever, been in a position on any PES where I couldnt advance from Div 2 after two attempts. This is totally different. It's an amazing experience on those settings. Love it.

Whilst a lot of thay may be the new PES, if your playing with any of files that have been released by me or goalgerd, the increased difficulty was something I put in for exactly this reason. I hated winning everything in two seasons and wanted a challange even when you hd built your world class team 10 seasons in.

Whilst a lot of thay may be the new PES, if your playing with any of files that have been released by me or goalgerd, the increased difficulty was something I put in for exactly this reason. I hated winning everything in two seasons and wanted a challange even when you hd built your world class team 10 seasons in.

Chimps a question?

On my game with all your stuff installed I have a large red x across the top of the stadiums, like on the boards halfway up the stadium going right around. I know I have cocked something up somewhere but do you know what file I am missing, or will I have to re-install all the files one by one to try and find the right file that I am missing? It happens I think more with the custom made stadia, any advice would be appreciated?

Thanks

Chimps a question?

On my game with all your stuff installed I have a large red x across the top of the stadiums, like on the boards halfway up the stadium going right around. I know I have cocked something up somewhere but do you know what file I am missing, or will I have to re-install all the files one by one to try and find the right file that I am missing? It happens I think more with the custom made stadia, any advice would be appreciated?

Thanks

You need to buy adboards from the PES shop.

I'm playing it out-of-the-box Stat-wise Chimps. I personally find that a better experience. It's hard to judge whether it was your file with the increased Teamwork Stat or Patch 1.0 or 1.2 that caused the God-Mode moments. All I know, is that after I went back to a 'clean' file with no stats edited, and Patch 1.03, I'm not seeing any God-Mode moments. Not one.

For the record, I believe that it was more the early patches than anything else. Konami's that is.

You may be right there Jimmy. I haven't seen any real cheat moments for a while now and have not seen any goalkeeping blunders. This time last year I would see countless "oh no that didn't go in did it?" moments but the keepers are now really good I think.

I'm playing it out-of-the-box Stat-wise Chimps. I personally find that a better experience. It's hard to judge whether it was your file with the increased Teamwork Stat or Patch 1.0 or 1.2 that caused the God-Mode moments. All I know, is that after I went back to a 'clean' file with no stats edited, and Patch 1.03, I'm not seeing any God-Mode moments. Not one.

For the record, I believe that it was more the early patches than anything else. Konami's that is.

I know you were playing with the original file that goalgerd put out with Middlesbrough in. Even that without any of my game play files is a file that has my game play changes from last year. Only if you removed this and added a different file with boro in would it not have any of the changes I had done to make the game tougher.

I am interested in what you mean by god mode moments? technically although my files have better over all a higher standard of players, the top end players have significantly reduced stats compared by the konami’s default stats.

Back
Top Bottom