The Holding Midfielder Role.

@Phrase, yeah that is his most natural and preferred position, like PLF i dont really find him as good as a CB, he can only play CB when the opposition has 1 striker wich is then covered by the other CB, so he has the freedom to join the midfield.

@BigBoss, I agree. The reason I don't like him much in CB is

1) He's not as good at defending as some CB's are and he's not sharp enough sometimes to read game brilliantly of course some of this is due to age as well and him Ron Vlaar and all other young talented players will get better with age.

But the other reason is what you mentioned

2) He's a guy with a good balance, ability to hold up ball and decent passing/vision so he's more useful in DMF position where he has to do better distribution than in center of defence where some of his abilities might get a bit wasted and the abilities he needs for a central defender aren't quite there yet.

That's why for me there's no question which position he should be playing at, DMF!
pk9 said:
yo plf does alou diarra fall into this category as well
Alou Diarra is also very impressive and one of the best but I didn't mention him cuz I was really talking about the best 3 or so which I think he's not in but a great player nonetheless and getting better.

This comparison I did here with him and M. Diarra (http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=636116&postcount=3885) will show you in what parts Alou actually wins the battle but as you can see for most parts, M. Diarra is better than Alou and in fact most other DMF's in world.

Very true PLF, he is a player that can defend very well, but not 1 that can focuss 90 minutes on keeping the opposing striker from scoring. Plus he cant show all his qualities in that position (did u see his goal in the U20 WC last summer in Holland? he dribbled past 3-4 guys in Franz Beckenbauer style, whole body straight up, looked very cool)

best around is scott parker,he fights for everything and playes for the badge,even when he got a teeth knocked out he stills plays on:applause:

Nahhh..althogh Scott Parker is a natural there,he is not up to the mark yet.He was piss poor in holding the midfield together against United last night.He was overrunned almost the whole game.Can we make a Top 10 list of the best current DMF?

A list of pure DMF's, so no special Pirlo?? Nah, i'll add Pirlo.

My top 10.

1. Emerson
2. Albelda
3. Pirlo
4. Cambiasso
5. Diarra
6. Cocu
7. Volpi
8. Gattuso
9. Vieira
10. Alonso

Makelele is very special in my opinion. He does the job he's supposed to extremely well. Other than that he doesn't add much to team but If I were a manager same way I'd prefer a great defender with 2 for technique who will kick ball out everytime danger comes over a defender with great technique/passing but who couldn't defend, I'd pick Makelele in this role here as well over anyone but M. Diarra at moment. This is not to say Mak has low technique or distribution or anything but just to get the point across that from a player I want him to do perfectly what I "asked" him to do and if he doesn't add much other than what I asked him, it don't bother me much cuz he's too busy doing the job we assigned him perfectly!

Cuz he does what you tell him to in that "holding midfield role" almost better than anyone else.

Anyways in my opinion he's very special. Should be #1 or #2. But I won't bother with a top 10 list anyway, can't be bothered :p

not having makelele on there is like not having shevi as a top forward, to be the holding midfielder you need to be everything that makelele is... you have cambiasso on there, why dont you look at Real Madrids record with Makelele as the starting dmid, and then with cambiasso..... i mean real madrid should pay 30 million to get him back...

my list wud be like this :p

My top 10.

1. Emerson
2. Makele
3. Pirlo
4. Cambiasso
5. M. Diarra
6. Cocu
7. Essien
8. M. Carrick
9. Vieira
10. Alonso

wow we forget about Cocu, hes great there :p

I kinow this may seem stupid to you but what about Timmy Simons from PSV (because currently he is more the holding midfielder than Cocu i think)????

PLF said:
Makelele is very special in my opinion. He does the job he's supposed to extremely well. Other than that he doesn't add much to team but If I were a manager same way I'd prefer a great defender with 2 for technique who will kick ball out everytime danger comes over a defender with great technique/passing but who couldn't defend, I'd pick Makelele in this role here as well over anyone but M. Diarra at moment. This is not to say Mak has low technique or distribution or anything but just to get the point across that from a player I want him to do perfectly what I "asked" him to do and if he doesn't add much other than what I asked him, it don't bother me much cuz he's too busy doing the job we assigned him perfectly!

Cuz he does what you tell him to in that "holding midfield role" almost better than anyone else.

Anyways in my opinion he's very special. Should be #1 or #2. But I won't bother with a top 10 list anyway, can't be bothered :p

hi, totally agree mate.

the thing is there are a fair few players who play in that holding position but are basically hatchet men really - 2 that spring to mind are Duscher and Pablo Garcia.

I could be talking crap, but what are Makele's yellow card stats like ? you'd think in theory that a player in that role would play dirty from time to time, and be liable to pick up frequent bookings, but he doesn't seem to - therefore enhancing his effectiveness

db

Yup agree with what you said DB, totally true and Mak is just a legend no doubt about it!! He does his job so effectively that no amount of praise is enough in my opinion for job he does.

What most people don't know however and are missing out cuz they don't follow Ligue 1 weekly is that M. Diarra over past few years has turned into a MONSTER in that same position to a degree that now I'd take him over anyone else there!

The guy is a Makelele but taller, definitely stronger, technically sound on the ball and better passer than Mak (long and short), is not a total two-footed guy like Camel Meriem or Wesley Sneijder but he is certainly above average with his left foot.

Better header of the ball than Mak and can jump very well not to mention he has a huge height advantage over Mak anyway.

Just a wonderful complete-package player this guy has turned into and I can't say enough about him!

Well you don't watch him week in week out anyway I know that ;)

But I can't say who is better when it comes to top 3-4 not just for this position but any as each have own advantage over other.

M. Diarra certainly has his advantages over Makelele, it's easy to see height-wise, two-footed wise, better shooting and slightly better passing while having the same good tackling, understanding of game to cut-out and intercept passes and efficient.

Being a regular on the thread, I assume you've read this: ;)
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=636116&postcount=3885

and this:
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=636667&postcount=3923

If not do so it's a good read.

This is exactly why I can't say who's best when it comes to top 3-4 because they're so close and again today Cambiasso for the 50 mins or so of the match I did watch (I had to go out after) was THE MAN!! The guy has become one of the world's best DMF now. I still remember seeing him play in Independiente :p (very different player now, he has improved immensely since coming to Inter) lol for once Inter did a good thing with a player instead of the usual get good talent and waste them on bench and kill career! :lol:

i saw every inter's match and cambiasso is playing at this great level since november 2004. he is the best inter's dmf of the last ten years and one of the best in the world (with makelele, emerson, diarra). poor madrid (makelele-cambiasso..)

Cambiasso is very underated, the guy is class. It pisses me off to this day united wasnt interested in him when he was left out of the real madrid team. Then again not many clubs were interested in him at the time except inter.

Daved said:
i saw every inter's match and cambiasso is playing at this great level since november 2004. he is the best inter's dmf of the last ten years and one of the best in the world (with makelele, emerson, diarra). poor madrid (makelele-cambiasso..)
Yup definitely one of the best.

I watched him since he was very young and at Real he was good at times at Independiente and River okay as well but BEST time of his career has been past couple years at Inter.

He's become one of the best in the world and definitely one of Inter's most important players. Without him or Zanetti.. pooff.. things would go very wrong.

You mean like a striker?

Cambiasso has certainly evolved but I don't ever recall him playing higher than an AMF.

Even there though he was either CM usually in matches I saw or on left side of a diamond-like midfield which is still like a CM/LM or a bit like AM

He played like an attacking midfield, and at times was almost a striker. I remember Independiente had a super season with him being the top scorer!

Back
Top Bottom