The greatest player ever IMHO

i am northern irish. born in northern ireland not britain

Surley if you are catholic you regard yourself as Irish?

If you are a protesant then saying you are Irish and not British....well that used to be something you could get shot for in certain pubs in Belfast......

Its been a while since I lived in Northern Ireland, but when I did live there what you are saying would have been very unusual...maybe time have changes....

Tell me a bit more?

Surley if you are catholic you regard yourself as Irish?

If you are a protesant then saying you are Irish and not British....well that used to be something you could get shot for in certain pubs in Belfast......

Its been a while since I lived in Northern Ireland, but when I did live there what you are saying would have been very unusual...maybe time have changes....

Tell me a bit more?

well its 2007 now.
im northern irish. fuck ireland and fuck britain.

even though i was born in england and have an english (born and bred and still living there) father, i consider myself to be northern irish having spent most of my life there (22 of my 34 years have been spent there)...

my mother is northern irish too, having been born and bred and still living there.

i have a british passport, but if you're english - you're english, if you're scottish you're scottish, if you're welsh - you're welsh, so why don't you think people from northern ireland consider themselves northern irish?

i wouldn't take offence if someone said i was british, likewise, i wouldn't take offence if someone said i was irish (i guess i'm a bit of both) but predominently, i'm northern irish! :)

edit: meant to add, pele stated that george best was the greatest of all time, and as george said in response, "Pele called me the greatest footballer in the world, that is the ultimate salute to my life."

Last edited:
even though i was born in england and have an english (born and bred and still living there) father, i consider myself to be northern irish having spent most of my life there (22 of my 34 years have been spent there)...

my mother is northern irish too, having been born and bred and still living there.

i have a british passport, but if you're english - you're english, if you're scottish you're scottish, if you're welsh - you're welsh, so why don't you think people from northern ireland consider themselves northern irish?

i wouldn't take offence if someone said i was british, likewise, i wouldn't take offence if someone said i was irish (i guess i'm a bit of both) but predominently, i'm northern irish! :)

Because that is not what I experienced when I lived in Northern Ireland, that was not how it was then in many areas and not where I lived.

I have not said anyone is wrong, that would be extremely arrogant and ludicrous, I have just asked what the situation is.

If I lived for years in, I don't know the US say and I remembered everyone driving on one side of the road and said to someone "surely you drive this side of the road don't you?"

It would be a question based on my experience....I wouldn't be dictating or telling people what the reality is now....I would be questioning.

That is what I was doing or at least that was my intention. I am not someone who is just being a twat and I am not someone who has never lived there....

If things have changed they have...that is what I was asking, hopefully that clarifies.

i know mate, i'm not accusing you of saying anything wrong.

generally speaking, protestants from ni would consider themselves northern irish/british, whereas catholics from ni would probably just consider themselves 100% irish...

When I lived in Ballywalter protestants considered themselves as British and Catholics as 100% Irish...that was the only reason I asked the question I did. Maybe I should have worded it differently as it seemed to have caused offense to some somehow.

no, you are correct in what you say.

drugfree, like myself, is northern irish, and like myself, i bet he also has a british passport, so technically, we are british!

Maradona. Many, many times.

I agree, although Vanzandt is obviously is a bit older than me (I'm 35) and has saw other greats, but in my lifetime that I can recall, no-one can beat Maradona, the nearest I've saw has been Zidane.

Although have to say all the stupid talk of people like Ortega, Tevez, D'Allesandro, Aimar being the next Maradona have been so wide of the mark, however in Lionel Messi it could well be the real deal this time, he's by far the best young talent in the world.

FD

Agree with you on Messi FD, but not on Maradonna...to me Pele is the best...

...and this from a big fan of Argentinian football and who does not like Brazilian football players for some weird reason...

Although have to say all the stupid talk of people like Ortega, Tevez, D'Allesandro, Aimar being the next Maradona have been so wide of the mark, however in Lionel Messi it could well be the real deal this time, he's by far the best young talent in the world.

FD

Now the last thing I want is to right off topic and start a widespread debate, but would you not put Ronaldo in the 'young talent' bracket then? If you would, do you not consider him to be currently better and more consistent than Messi?

One thing I will say about the comparisons with Messi and past players, to Maradona is that although they have not shown the same promise as Messi, they have shown glimpses of brilliance that could warrant them being 'the new Maradona'.
Now I am not saying any of them deserve to be compared, but this talk of Messi finally being 'the one' reminds me so much of hearing it before.
Yes Messi is very special and I agree he is that bit more special than past players who have had the comparison burden placed upon them, but he could easily end up playing for Betis in 5 years as he is to be the greatest player in the world... an air of caution is needed, but he is very special indeed.

In comparison to Ronaldo, if he carries on the year the way he played towards the end of last season for Man Utd, there is no competition for World player of the year as far as I am concerned. We all hope Messi and indeed Ronaldo can maintain that level of ability and improve for years to come so we can discuss the full career of the players, rather than a couple of years of partially consistent brilliance.

At the moment, in my opinion and the way he is going; Kaka is the one player in world football who is the most likely to rival Zidane as the best player in our generation of the last 10-15 years or so.

At the moment, in my opinion and the way he is going; Kaka is the one player in world football who is the most likely to rival Zidane as the best player in our generation of the last 10-15 years or so.

So how come Ronaldo will win the WPOTY then? :mrgreen:

No, for me Messi is better now, and if you look at him at 20 and Ronaldo at 20 then Messi is on a different planet, Ronaldo was nothing short of abysmal and looked like he couldn't cut it at Conference League level never mind EPL. But I'll say this he has improved greatly and remember being asked if I could pick a player from the EPL then it'd be him, although I'd maybe change that now to Scholes. :mrgreen: Messi for me just stepped into the best team on the planet and made them even better, actually I think he is their most dangerous player at the moment.

Gerd - I know you disagree about Maradona but I can accept that as you have age on me. :mrgreen: I class Maradona as the greatest in my eyes, because I've only seen clips of the older players from previous years and I'm hardly going to judge a player on that basis.............you don't exactly get a DVD claiming "Pele:- The Worst Bits". :mrgreen: That's why I laugh when someone says "Oh this guy is the greatest player ever, I watched these videos of him................" coming from a 20 year old.

FD

I would have thought Kaka would be a good shout for world player of the year with Ronaldo in second place.

Ronaldo's domestic form has been fantastic and I think that the decisive factor between the two players would be the level of Kaka's performance in the champions league which was quite a lot better overall than Ronaldo's. Not sure i'd place Messi in the bracket of these two players yet because he is still very inconsistent in terms of his general performaces...IMHO.

I make that absolutely spot on vanzandt.

You make a good point about Kaka in Europe too, but early in the season Kaka wasn't that great whereas Ronaldo has been consistently brilliant all year and played well in Europe, though not quite to Kaka's level in Europe.

fd: The reason I mentioned Kaka is because unlike Messi and Ronaldo, he has done it over a good few years now and looks to be getting better and better.
This is the reason why I think it' unfair to compare Ronaldo at 20 and Messi at 20.
The fact of the matter is that Ronaldo at 22 has proven his ability and has to now maintain it.
Messi has yet to reach that level let alone maintain it over a year.

As I say, I think Messi is class (I'd be mad not to) but I think it's a tad early to be getting carried away with him.
I said the same thing about Ronaldo 2 years ago and Kaka 4 years ago, but now I just have to stand and applaud both players.
(I am sure Messi will be next, but I am reserving full judgement until he actually gets there ;) )

Last edited:
The above sounds sensible Steevio...especially the bit about me being spot on :lmao:

No joking aside you make good points from where I sit.

Yup FD...i actually saw loads of matches from Pele...and i can tell you...that he had it all...
But of course Maradonna was something special too...

I'm a litle bit amazed that Cruijff was never mentioned in this thread...this will sound as a provocation to some people (i can assure you it isn't) but i'm not sure if Maradonna is as good as Cruijff. I you talk purely about footballistic skills, then there is no discussion: Maradonna is the best. But Cruijff was more than a football player, he was a coach on the field (it's a well known secret that Cruijff was the real tactical genius behing Ajax and the Dutch national team and certainly not Rinus Michels, who in the end become jealous of Cruijff).
To me Cruijff is the biggest football icon of all times, not the best player...but the most charismatic, the biggest enigma...i simply love him...
The funny thing is, that being Belgian we are supposed to hate Dutch (i love Dutch people), but as a kid i was a big fan of our national team that always had to play against the Dutch in qualifiers for big tournaments...for 1974 WC, actually Belgium should have gone true and not Holland since the Russian ref did not validate an injury time goal by Jan Verheyen (father of Gert Verheyen)...Afterwards for the Argentina WC qualifiers Cruijff really thrashed Belgium (i still remember Belgium television playing " Don't cry for me Argentina after that match)...

Ah nostalgia...when i was young i hated Cruijff, now i lover him...indulge an old mand and just ignore this nostalgic post.

Sorry

Note to Gerd...

I remember watching the Belgium side in 86 and thinking it was pretty bloody good.

In fact I can recall quite a lot of very good footballers from Belgium over the years...ones that stood out in my mind were....

Jean-Marrie Pfaff (top keeper)
Eric Gerets (cracking defender)
Frankie Van der Elst
Frank Vercauteren
Enzo Scifo (very skilled)
Erwin Vandenbergh (one of my favourites)
Jan Ceulemans (great in 86)
Michel Preud'homme
Philippe Albert
Marc Degryse (again I liked him a lot..)
Luc Nilis (lethal at times)

Ryan Giggs - for this reason

I went to a party in Birmingham many years ago and at the time, Giggs was seeing Dani Behr. There were a lot of those kind of women looking for footballers at the time like Zoe Ball. There was a really nice girl at this party that liked to shag famous people and she'd already been with some guy out of U2 and various sportsmen like Phil DeFreitas and a few footballers. My mate's dad told her that I was from Manchester and I knew Ryan Giggs. She came over and I bullshitted her about my brother being best mates with him and going to the same school and all that. Needless to say, I ended up shagging her and apart from the missus it was probably the best shag I ever had.

Thank you Mr. Giggs. The greatest football player in the world.

Pfaff and Preud Homme, what a pair of goalies they where.

Btw, I love being right. \\:o/ Messi is on a different planet to Ronaldo. :mrgreen::)

FD

put him in the moderm game and he wouldnt look as good, stick terry on him to mark to jaap stam and game over for mr best.

put him in the moderm game and he wouldnt look as good, stick terry on him to mark to jaap stam and game over for mr best.

That's just wrong.
Putting Best in the modern game would mean he'd get the modern physical and tactical training and when he's a par-level athlete his talent would make the difference AGAIN and he'd be ahead of even the best defenders AGAIN.

you do have a point, if you put it like that.

i would have to say maradonna for me. Just done feel best was up there with the greastest. was great but not the greatest.

Hahaha Fookin dreamland!!!!

As in out of your fookin mind!!!!

In fact this is CATEGORICALLY the WORST load of shite I have EVER heard anyone say in any footbal thread EVER!!!!!

Terry? Stam?

George Best had the likes of Norman Hunter and Tommy Smith trying to kick the shite out of him. They could chop him down or kick him in the arse and 90% of the time it went unpunished.

Terry and Stam are complete wimps in comparison to those defenders and he faced better defenders in terms of skill and culture back then as well.

Watch this again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nplemK3Y4ns

Look at how his enormous pace, control, two footed balance etc sees him fly past defenders no matter what they try, skill or hacking he makes them look fookin stupid.

Mate the likes of Ronaldinho, Messi, Ronaldo, Kaka etc make the defenders you talk of and most modern day defenders look turd when they are on form and NONE of those players are fit to even be metioned in the same breath as Best when you are talking overall ability....

Watch the video and wake the fook up!!!!

P.S

When Best retired he had horrific scars down both legs according to one of his wifes...no protection at all back then you see....so seriously don't come at people talkin about Terry and Stam as though they are hard men who could tackle cause that is a pathetic joke...the like of Hunter and Smith would rip Terry and Stams heads off for breakfast and shit them out!! And don't mention Terry and Stam from a skill point of view cause as that is just as stupid given Nesta, Canavaro, Maldini etc make them look rubbbish from a skill perspective..On which note Best would have made those defender look like idiots as well...Best was utterly unplayable like Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Zico etc...

And please please please do NOT mention Terry or Stam and say they could have stopped Pele, Maradona, Cruyff or Zico otherwise I will have find you and put a stake through your heart:shock: just so I don't have to put up with the idea that such mong though can exist!!!

P.S to my P.S

If that is REALLY harsh....I don't care because that post was REALLY fookin stupid!!

Last edited:
Ryan Giggs - for this reason

I went to a party in Birmingham many years ago and at the time, Giggs was seeing Dani Behr. There were a lot of those kind of women looking for footballers at the time like Zoe Ball. There was a really nice girl at this party that liked to shag famous people and she'd already been with some guy out of U2 and various sportsmen like Phil DeFreitas and a few footballers. My mate's dad told her that I was from Manchester and I knew Ryan Giggs. She came over and I bullshitted her about my brother being best mates with him and going to the same school and all that. Needless to say, I ended up shagging her and apart from the missus it was probably the best shag I ever had.

Thank you Mr. Giggs. The greatest football player in the world.
:lol::applause:

im sorry mate but i have to disagree............................

just kidding lol.

I give you a lot of credit:applause:

Because I diagreeed in the most passionate way possible and your short reply is balanced and funny :applause:

Back
Top Bottom