The Getaway - Cancelled

Jamesy

No. 7
21 February 2005
Dartford
Manchester United FC
Sony has cancelled its eagerly-awaited PlayStation 3 gangster game The Getaway after the firm decided to relocate staff to other projects.

The London studio, which has also ended development of PS3 game Eight Days, said the move was due to a "budget re-evaluation".

A statement from the development team read: "It has been agreed that production of both Eight Days and The Getaway will cease immediately due to the redistribution of resources and budget.

"This decision was made following an internal review of all games and it was deemed that with the incredibly strong list of exclusive first party titles coming up both this year and in the near future, resource should be reallocated to enhance those projects closer to completion."

The Getaway was seen as Sony's answer to Rockstar's epic Grand Theft Auto IV. The title, said to be a parody of gangster movies such as Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, involved players carrying out missions using real-life vehicles from manufacturers including Lotus, Fiat and Lexus.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a97532/sony-cancels-ps3-getaway-game.html

Wasn't this hyped up leading up to and during the launch of PS3? :?

Didn't know, seriously gutted. I've always wanted another GTA set in Britain, this was the closest you could have got. :(

Gutted enjoyed first one but not so much second. :((

But i still think it will be made what i take from article is they needed to cease production as it looks like money needs to be pumped elsewhere.

Got to be 3/4 years work on new Getaway already cant see it not coming eventually.

Didn't know, seriously gutted. I've always wanted another GTA set in Britain, this was the closest you could have got. :(

Yeah, I always thought of the first one as a bit of a GTA London type game. I didn't even know there was one coming out on next gen, thats a shame. :((

Back
Top Bottom