The first time you've cried after a football match

ThomasGOAL

Retired Footballer
15 March 2003
France
The first time you've cried after a football match

For me it's in 90/91 European C1 Final between Olympique de Marseille and Belgrad Red Star, OM lose in PK (11 years old)

79047138.jpg

the second time, it's France Bulgaria in 93, we just need a draw for go to the US World Cup and Kostadinow score at the 90'

article_RTXEUIW.jpg

no more cry now

2003/2004: last game of the CL group stage. we had to play our "home" game in gelsenkirchen (arena auf schalke) because of a stupid decision by UEFA and lost 0:2 to chelsea. meanwhile, sparta prag was hosting lazio. the score in that game was 0:0 and with this score, Besiktas would have advanced to the 1/8 finals. what happened? peruzzi made a mistake at 90+ and sparta won the game. we went to the uefa cup and drew valencia who was later to beat OM in the final. that was the worst year for me (even the 8:0 agains liverpool didnt hurt that much).

I think I've been on the brink a few times.

Man Utd V Monaco 98
England V France Euro 04
Man Utd V Milan 07

Istanbul 2005
After we qualified for world cup - match against Poland.
Slovakia beat Italy in WC 2010

ALL was of joy of course :D

of pain i almost cryed every LFC game under Hodgson.. and his interviews..

Last edited:
When Mourinho's Porto knocked us out of the CL, thanks to that Costinha goal. Looking back on it, imagine how much of the whole world of football would have changed if that hadnt happened. But thats just ifs and buts.
The other time was when Portugal knocked England out of Euro 2004.
God I hate the portuguese, gave me a lot of bad nights. :RANT: lol

Deportivo - Milan 4-0, 2004
PSV - Milan 3-1, 2005
Milan - Liverpool 3-3, 2005
Italy - Germany 2-0, 2006
Italy - France 1-1, 2006

You big cry baby.:P

Can't remember ever crying after a match, but being gutted yes.

Probably worst was losing to Motherwell 2-1 in the final moments of the game to hand Rangers the title, was 22nd May 2005, you'll probably wonder 'great memory', well I remember as I got married the every next day...............from bad to worse, eh! :p

FD

I see no reason whatsoever to cry for a football match.
My biggest disappointment was the famous David Platt goal in the 1990 WC at the end of extra time in the match against Belgium. For once Belgium was playing superb attractive football and then they loose like that (most of my compatriots think England did not deserve to win that match, i don't agree with that...it's simply that Belgium did not deserve to win).

Biggest joy: both Man Utd goals in that final against Bayern Munchen (i'm serious Runedge).
And even bigger: when the youth team that i coach became the best Belgian team of their age category last season. They are well underway tho repeat that this season. This team has lost one match (against two year older kids) in 3 seasons. I'm pretty proud about that. I once even started a topic about it on this forum.

Oh and Thomas, i was overjoyed by your biggest disappointments (i'm sorry).
I was a big fan of that Red Star Belgrad team, although they won that final in an ugly way.
And i remember the French commentators Larqué and that other idiot being sure that France would be amongst the favourites for the WC in 1994 when Kostadinov scored that goal in injury time...i thought it was extremely arrogant of Roland and Larqué to say things like that and then Bulgaria scored..i was overjoyed. And that is not because i have something against French football, but i really did not like those two idiots. The remaining minutes they were speechless...i must say i enjoyed that.

Last edited:
Oh and Thomas, i was overjoyed by your biggest disappointments (i'm sorry).
I was a big fan of that Red Star Belgrad team, although they won that final in an ugly way.
And i remember the French commentators Larqué and that other idiot being sure that France would be amongst the favourites for the WC in 1994 when Kostadinov scored that goal in injury time...i thought it was extremely arrogant of Roland and Larqué to say things like that and then Bulgaria scored..i was overjoyed. And that is not because i have something against French football, but i really did not like those two idiots. The remaining minutes they were speechless...i must say i enjoyed that.

No problem mate, i remember, we just need 1 point in the two last games at home vs Israel (2-3) and Bulgaria (1-2), i know the FFF prepare already a party in the stadium just after Israel game... Larqué is a very good guy i listen him on RMC radio, but T.Roland is a idiot for sure. But after when you see Bulgaria and Sweden (both in group of France) finish in semi-finals of the US World Cup... but it's a bad for a good, just after a certain Mr Jaquet take the team and add some interresting players for the futur :COOL:

Milan vs Lyon 3-1 2005/2006 (I don't know if this was exactly it but the match when Shevchenko scored in 90' to put Milan through.)

Italy vs Germany 2-0, 2006

EURO 2004 Final: Greece 1-0 Portugal.
That was tears of honor, pride & disbelief.

I cried in this one too. No need to mention the reason.

The first time I cried in a football match? Hum let me think, maybe the semi-final in Euro 2000 between Portugal and France when Zidane penalty kicked us out of the competition, I felt we could have done it and probably won the title.

It might be strange for some of you but I remember I have cried of hapiness and pride when FC Porto won the UEFA Cup in 2003. Yes, there's no mistake in here, I said FC PORTO - the biggest Benfica rival. Do you know why? It was the first time I saw a Portuguese club winning at the big stage. I felt very very proud of those guys. Perhaps that's the reason I like Mourinho a lot.

Very good topic Thomas.

[Euro 00] France - Italy : 2-1 ET
Strongest feeling I have with the NT. Stronger than the WC. What a brutal ending for Italy, every time I see Trezeguet's goal I almost cry.

[Euro 04] France - Greece : 0-1.
No comment.

[Intertoto-2005] Marseille - La Corogne : 5-1
The proudest moment I have with Marseille.
We lost the first leg 2-0. We scored during the first minutes, before they equalized and Ribery + Dusher got sent off. At half time, we needed 3 goals to qualify for UEFA and we scored 4. Just amazing.

[CDF-2007] Sochaux - Marseille : 2-2 (5 pk 4)
Coupe de France finale, I was at the Stade de France. We were leading twice before losing on PKS. F*ck*ng Zubar.

[L1-2003] Marseille - Paris SG : 0-3
Ashamed. 3 amazing goals and Ronaldinho on fire.

I didn't actually cry but i probably shed a tear after this match (specially after the commentators reaction to the events):

Euro 2004 - Portugal v England :hands down pt people:

I cried just last month :P after South Korea scored that beautiful goal against us in Extra time and knocked Iran out of Asian cup. :/

I knew it'd be 2 more years before we have any chance to get pride back and the way I see it, we're only falling behind more and more with each passing year anyway so not even optimistic. I thought this was our chance and we might get lucky or beat them in Penalties, etc.

They deserved it though. Overall the better team. But I did get teary eyed at end of match and my family was trying to console me lol.

Russia - Belgium 2:3 FIFA World Cup 2002
Sporting - CSKA Russia 1:3 UEFA Cup Final 2005
Russia - England 2:1 Qualification EURO 2008
Russia - Netherlands 3:1 UEFA Euro 2008
and a lil bit after Arsenal - Barcelona 4 days ago :)

I've never cried over a football match, even when I was a kid. Perhaps I'm too stoic about football, but it's only a game.

“They say Football's a matter of life and death - but it's more important than that”

Bill Shankly

:D

Have to agree, in this days football is more than just game.. of course Shankly quote seems to over the top but.. if you think about how many football means for some people.. it´s game of the world..you need just ball, few friends and some trees to pretend they are goals.. to bad it´s buissines now and the passion for me personaly is getting lost.. somehow...

except my national team..

I forgot to say i cryed in 2002 but watching us win the world championship in Hockey...God this were the best day of my youth..amazing patriotic feeling, people hugging each other on streets... such joy i wish everyone to experience..old men were crying of joy..this memories are preciouss..

Last edited:
People cry over football matches!?

Iv felt disapointed after some games but never cried

Yeah but when your younger you think it means so much, obviously the older you get you get more detached from it and it just becomes a game.

When Mourinho's Porto knocked us out of the CL, thanks to that Costinha goal. Looking back on it, imagine how much of the whole world of football would have changed if that hadnt happened. But thats just ifs and buts.
The other time was when Portugal knocked England out of Euro 2004.
God I hate the portuguese, gave me a lot of bad nights. :RANT: lol

You big cry baby.:P

You hate Portuguese? not sure you noticed Rune but that guy in your avatar is from their:P

The Porto game, was a shame considering Scholes goal being ruled out, you bringing up the "what if's" made me remember this brilliant video someone made

YouTube - The Butterfly Effect MKB CC8 Winner By ElAlonso

Back
Top Bottom