The England Topic

I'd drop Lampard, move Stevie G back to the middle and stick Lennon on the right.

Otherwise the team he's chosen is pretty much the best it could be for this particular game IMO.

My prediction is that it might be 3-1 to England.

Gerrard and hargreaves in the middle with lennon on the right would have been better.

Downing Im not too sure about, but come to think, he is one of our only natural left footed players so its good to try him out in a full match. Even though I dont think he has earned his place. He probably done some extra favours for Mcclaren when he was at middlesborough.

Clockender said:
Agreed, Lennon should start. And why Stuart Downing? He's toilet.

This is one of the problems I think McLaren will add to the squad, Stuart Downing. He is going to end up being his love child IMO, getting a game when he clearly is not good enough for the grade only because it was McLaren that brought him through as a youngster.

Nice game in first half from England:applause: !!! Greece was not on the field first halftime! after changing some positions Greece get better but not good enough!
I personaly think england needs Backham, greece is not a big opponent in this time, league has not started and Rehagel has give a lot of new players a chance, so if england get a harder opponet they need Davids magic right foot!

I think england coach can not let out a player with Beckhams class!

kevano22 said:
How fickle are england fans. Now everyone loves Crouch an Hargreaves!
What are you talking about? I've always believed in Crouch and I'm sure millions of fans out there agree with me.

pup-fiction said:
I reckon 1-1 or maybe even 0-0...

:applause:

I thought Downing did ok (where was Joe Cole?- forgive my ignorance). Downing is reasonable cover for the left but when he cut in and had that really good shooting chance but not the confidence to hit it with his right it confirmed he has a way to go for me.

Hargeaves had good energy and drive but against Latin opponents would have been booked for some of his challenges IMHO.

Defoe lacked composure but showed he can take the ball on a bit.

Crouch- yeah, he scored two, but i'm still not convinced. He's ok at findingan alright position to stand in but i dunno... He's no superstar.

Lampard- better.

Gerrard did well, but i'll bet he missed being in the middle of the action.

Defence pretty good- corners possibly still not A1.

Lennon impressive again.

Lennon is one of the greatest discoveries of English football recently, I love his style. Personally I think Becks is still a great midfielder that can help England a lot, but it is hard to place both him and Lennon in the same squad. Maybe using a 4-3-3 formation like...

---------------------------Crouch-------------------------------
----------Rooney-----------------------------------Lennon-------
---------------------------Lampard------------------------------
------------------Gerrard---------------Beckham-----------------
--As. Cole---------------------------------------------G. Neville--
-------------------Ferdinand-------Terry-------------------------
---------------------------Robinson-----------------------------

However, this is a very unlikely solution as I reckon the team would be much more balanced with the presence of Carrick or even Hargreaves in the midfield. I think it's either Beckham or Lennon, or Beckham or Lampard, but never the three of them together.

Beckham is going to have to work real hard to get his place back
because England should stick to the line up they had last night
but with J.Cole on the left.

As you saw with Hargreaves playing doing the dirty work it gave Gerrard
and Lampard the freedom to play their games.

As for Crouch 8 goals in 12 games says it all.

pup-fiction said:
:applause:

I thought Downing did ok (where was Joe Cole?- forgive my ignorance). Downing is reasonable cover for the left but when he cut in and had that really good shooting chance but not the confidence to hit it with his right it confirmed he has a way to go for me.

Hargeaves had good energy and drive but against Latin opponents would have been booked for some of his challenges IMHO.

Defoe lacked composure but showed he can take the ball on a bit.

Crouch- yeah, he scored two, but i'm still not convinced. He's ok at findingan alright position to stand in but i dunno... He's no superstar.

Lampard- better.

Gerrard did well, but i'll bet he missed being in the middle of the action.

Defence pretty good- corners possibly still not A1.

Lennon impressive again.

Joe Cole did his leg in, for chelsea in a friendly. I can't remember the exacts. Broken ankle, twisted?

marukomu said:
It seems the Greeks don't know about not getting in the way of a Lampard shot. Everyone in the world cup was aware of it.:D

Lampards trademark deflections are his specialty.

I'm finding it very hard to give a damn about this England side. I'm glad Macedonia brought them back down to Earth cuz the truth is, this team isnt really any better than the WC side.

I dont think we are any worse that is for sure. I think this team has potential, we just need to see. I think this team still has a young heart and a young future. Macedonia had a lot of effort tonight and could have nicked a point. We still never created enough but we are playing with out second choice strikers. Owen and Rooney will be first chocie if Owen can get fit for a few months.

RuneEdge said:
I'm finding it very hard to give a damn about this England side. I'm glad Macedonia brought them back down to Earth cuz the truth is, this team isnt really any better than the WC side.

I agree. No Rooney or Joe Cole. I look foward to them returning (although I'd rarther not see Cole on the left!, and to see what McClaren can get out of them.

I do think we have the right formation going though. I don't think we can sink any lower than the WC. Mcclaren needs time. Not once did he start bigging himself up, or the England team. He said Macedonia would be a different story, particularly away from home, after two easy home games, it would be a shock to anyone.

For anyone watching the Netherlands v England game...

Yes, I am back.

Edit: Nobody was looking at the adboards then. :(

Anyway, 1-1. Good result or an absolutely ridiculously stuffy "strike" by Rooney and God-awful defending for the equaliser?

Last edited:
Poor performance again by England,McLaren is a fool keep putting the players out of position(A.Johnson on the Right??:roll: ,Ronney as a lone striker?::roll: does he watches the games weeks in and week out?
Lamps was poor as usual with England shirt,and i think we can blame again Robison for the goal,and i don't even talk about Mickael"i'm a dmf but i don't want to tackle"Carrick

Poor performance again by England,McLaren is a fool keep putting the players out of position(A.Johnson on the Right??:roll: ,Ronney as a lone striker?::roll: does he watches the games weeks in and week out?
Lamps was poor as usual with England shirt,and i think we can blame again Robison for the goal,and i don't even talk about Mickael"i'm a dmf but i don't want to tackle"Carrick
My thoughts exactly, McClaren obviously learned everything he knows from Sven.

1)What the hell is the point of playing Andy Johnson down the right, zero impact. Sven got criticised for doing it to him in his first game and McClaren still plays him there.

2)Why drop Becks if your not going to replace him with a proper right winger. Becks was acused of lacking pace down the flanks (true) but we have Lennon and Wright-Phillips now ready to fill the position yet he continues to play Gerrard there. This gives no attacking width as Both Gerrard and Joe Cole are always gonna go inside.

3)I do think we need Beckham at least in the squad (as long as he is playing for Madrid) Lampard seems to have taken over his duties even though he cant produce a decent set play for toffee.

4)If he wants a holding player like Carrick in the starting line up he has to choose between Lamps and Gerrard for the other central position. I dont think Lampard has performed well for England for a while and Gerrard is a more complete player anyway so he should play.

Will probably end up eating my words, anyway those are my opinions take it or leave it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom