The best of Peter Brackley and Trevor Brooking

Orhainmalz

League 2
16 March 2018
England
Arsenal F.C.
These two should honestly do a comedy double act. Some of the lines they come out with in PES are just ridiculous...

here's a few:

"I tell a lie, he's missed!" - Brackley, said usually completely out of nowhere after a shot has been taken and missed in PES 2

"They're going at it, hammer and tongs" - Brackley, WHAT DOES HAMMER AND TONGS EVEN MEAN? I wouldn't be surprised if this was a mistranslation of a Japanese phrase or something like that. PES 4-6

"There's not a single chink in the defence!" - Brooking, imagine this playing against China, makes Konami look racist lol. PES 2

"~something about it raining~ It's 28/31 degrees Celsius" - Brackley, in PES 2 when in entrance scene, how can it be 28 or 31 degrees in such rain, in London at night?

"It's surprising they didn't win despite having so much possession" - Brooking, PES 3. For some reason, there were a lot of analytical comments in the commentary in this game, which can surprisingly be useful. However this one isn't when it's 49-51 possession on a 0-0 draw or something like that :P

"He's on the rampage!" - Brackley, PES 4-6. Most commonly heard in PES 4, it's played too often when you're just dribbling with the ball on the flank -.-

"And if you're getting frustrated, don't chuck your controller! Everyone's a winner" - Brooking, PES 5. Usually plays after a goalless draw or a loss in ML. Not sure why they'd even say that :D

"Our poor player probably has a sore thumb" - Brooking
"And we'd better see about that thumb" - Brackley

End-of-match usually plays these two line after about 30-40 minutes in PES 5.

"They're going at it, hammer and tongs" - Brackley, WHAT DOES HAMMER AND TONGS EVEN MEAN? I wouldn't be surprised if this was a mistranslation of a Japanese phrase or something like that. PES 4-6
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/hammer-and-tongs

You're welcome. :D

That line used to make me laugh too, but not because of "hammer and tongs" (that's a pretty well-known phrase in my experience) - but because of the "going at it" (which is another well-known phrase, but in a different way)...

Usually I have them on mute, but sometimes if my headphones are lost for music. I have the commentary on low. It is bolloxology mainly, like when WE United and PES United are playing, official Konami teams for goodness sake, and Brackley just goes on and on: "pass to number 4, to number 6, to number 9, to number 5, I mean, jesus wept. :CRY:

While I agree, I can't stand the current commentator, can't stand him on ITV either and as for Jim Beglin's inane comments that seem to repeat every match...

Two of Peter Brackley's that annoy me..

"He's on the long run" WTF? To where? What's he doing, a marathon?

And one that I copied a different quote and saved it as the same bin number in the kitserver/dat folder so it would play it instead was the really annoying "They must be wondering how they are going to beat him today" and it's the first shot you've had! Or he says it about five times in a game.

One thing I have noticed though is I think somewhere along the line one of the patches messed up the commentary and others must have used the it because for so long I used to hear many quotes that didn't quite fit with what was going on. Then recently I installed the blank PES6 patch that Sany made from the original PES and now all the commentary matches up with what's happening and to be fair some it's actually very contextual. There's a couple I heard recently that I'm sure I've never heard before. One about a great trap after my player controlled a long ball really well and another I forget now.

Almost every line they say could be replaced by something we could think of in five seconds :D
Is there a way to add more lines of dialogue or can you only replace it?
I found a text to speech website and the voice actually sounds like Brackley a little. I have been very tempted to record new commentary but he never gets excited so it would sound boring.

@Titch No, you can only replace them (easiest way is in kitserver/dat/ folders as you can play around with it then and add and remove what works or doesn't easily without keep messing around with the afs explorer)

Where's that site Titch? Could use it for player's name's if nothing else perhaps? I could use some Norwegian names at the moment! Only the likes of Larsen, Johanssen and Jonsson are in the original names.

They are in the e_sound.afs, if you load it in afs explorer you can see them there and play them (there's 1000's)

Here's a rough map

https://ice186.wordpress.com/2010/07/18/pes-6-default-e-sound-map/

It seems to be a bit like the chants where some teams have 5 slots, there seem to be groups of five files in a row where he'll say a variation of the same thing so presumably it calls one of them at random to match what's happening

and a map of where the call names are

https://ice186.wordpress.com/2011/12/17/pes-6-call-names-map/

Will have to have a look. Didn't realise there were so many variations. Saying that, there are lines I've heard about which I've never even come across.

I think commentary has never been realistic in football games. I rarely think they are even on about the same game! :D

I think commentary has never been realistic in football games. I rarely think they are even on about the same game! :D

Yeah! It's interesting though because playing all the patches down the year's I've always thought some of it just doesn't even match up and put it down to translation or something but since using the original pes6 from Sany's install all of a sudden there are some really accurate commentaries that marry up perfectly with what's happening that I am sure I never heard before which is why I think someone messed around with the commentary at some stage and everyone must have used that e_sound.afs ever since or something!

Now I'm getting accurate comments about trapping the ball, something about neat footwork as the computer player side stepped me and several others too. Of course the usual inane one's are there too but it just seems a lot better. Far from perfect of course but at least matching up to what I'm seeing on the pitch.

I remember these, was fun indeed. Nowadays I got them on mute, it is weird and it gets annoying fast. I noticed this trend starting few years back, and reflects in pes too - tv commentators start screaming for no reason during a crappy action or a crappy shot that was missed or saved. Or an ordinary goal, they scream like it is some magical never before seen curved or rocket kick...silly. I don't watch many games anymore, might smash my tv :D

"Oh, they're really going for that ball!" gets tiring in PES2.
"Number X" in PES2/3 sounds robotic as does most of the commentary there.

I think the worst thing is when commentators gets stuck on certain names,not only prs,but FIFA and real life,just because it sounds cool saying.

WARNOCK!!!!
must have been Pes 13 and onward.
Or FIFA's :
Sokratis Papastathopoulos

I remember the real tv commentators during hmm, what world cup would it have been now 2006 I think, Bernt Haas of Switzerland. They managed to say his first name every time he had the ball. :D

Back
Top Bottom