The beautiful game has become ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.
well im a big fan of pes5, and i prefer it over fifa definetely ... but i have played fifa06 also, and cant say its that bad, they made a big step forward compared to previous versions. I might even say that its a great game. I enjoy playing it, especially against humans.
Pes5 still my favorite though.;)

I think most aspects of the game is good, but I do still find the CPU's slow defenders catching up and pulling back and blatantly fouling my fast strikers and the CPU gets away with it! if you do likewise a freekick on the edge of the box.... a booking! or a penalty! so it can get frustrated and at times yes you do feel the CPU cheats. But when you get the ball down, pass it a lot, play positive simple passes, nothing too difficult or fancy. When you get near the box use R2 to shift the ball to one side and then hit a shot once you have worked yourself half a yard of space :) the result will usually be a good one :) if you have a middle shooter stat on the player your controlling it will most likely cause the keeper a problem or end up in the back of the net!!

DJ

I'm in the same boat as you RichG, although I have a 2 year old and a 4 week old. Maybe I'm frustrated with the lack of time I'm allowed to play and practice this version as well!! :0)

Anyway, I'll try some of the advice offered in this thread and hopefully report back that I was totally wrong and this game is as perfect as I hoped it would be.

Well sometimes I wish a English reff! he blows for nothing, but thats realistic and I hate it in real matches too!
I also have to get used to the shooting system but thats with every new version..
Free Kicks are awesome..it's possible again to score.. in PES4 I could only score from <20m and now I can kick a longer free kick in the net.. and I score more free kicks!
And when you cant score you can go for the penalty..I had 4 penalties in 1game..OK I miss more penalties but thats with Costolo etc
The only thing I really hate is the throw in!! it's really bad..when you have a red card and there is no player on the side of the throw in I cant reach anyone :S

This version rocks!

redstaruk said:
I'm in the same boat as you RichG, although I have a 2 year old and a 4 week old. Maybe I'm frustrated with the lack of time I'm allowed to play and practice this version as well!! :0)

No kids but I'm in a similar boat. We're selling a flat and buying a house so anytime the Missus sees me in front of the PS2 rather than buried in a Surveyors report, or a 1,000 page letter from the solicitors, stern questions are asked!

As a result, I'm absolute gash at Pro Evo 5 at the moment and I've been finding it a real slog. So now, I've moved down to difficulty ** so I can just chill out and learn about what is basically a brand new game. I doubt I'll ever get the time again to be good enough to play ******, (I'm getting in about 2 hours a week at best) so I'll just play it at whatever level I can enjoy it, and hopefully move up the difficulties again.

T Butcher fan said:
We're selling a flat and buying a house so anytime the Missus sees me in front of the PS2 rather than buried in a Surveyors report, or a 1,000 page letter from the solicitors, stern questions are asked!

I'm in the process of buying at the minute, so I know what its like, I hate solicitors!!! (no offence like to any solicitors out there, well maybe a bit ;))

Good point about moving down the levels, I've been using ***, I'll give ** a try tonight (if i get chance) see how i get on.

RichG said:
Good point about moving down the levels, I've been using ***, I'll give ** a try tonight (if i get chance) see how i get on.

Don't do it level 2 is just so easy you will only play one game and quit try level 5 or 6 it may be a mind thing but it's easier than 3 or 4 !!

I thought it was just my imagination, I also found 5* easier than 3*. I agree with Nick- don't bother with 2*, it's just too easy to actually enjoy.

redstaruk said:
I thought it was just my imagination, I also found 5* easier than 3*. I agree with Nick- don't bother with 2*, it's just too easy to actually enjoy.

Your right Nick, I tried 2* last night. First game I won 6-0 with no challange. Switched to 5* what a game I had!! I actually enjoyed for the first time! Played a series of premiership matches and actually played well! This is the answer for all those, like me, who have been finding the game frustrating and disapointing... PLAY 5*!!!

So, next question is why is 3* harder than 5, have konami messed up with something?

I think it's down to the tactics the comp uses on level 3--4 it seems to defend real deep and in numbers and only attacks with a few players on the break. On level 5 you don't seem to get it sitting back so all the time and attacks in greater numbers it also seems to give you a bit more room on the ball before you attack??? Play is so much better for it I think!!

Hmmm, I'll have to give it a go tonight. I was wondering the other day why I was struggling at 3*, yet when I was playing the Demo at 5* I had no problems.

I put it down to the fact I was playing as a decent team on the Demo. Obviously not!

Thanks a lot for pointing the 5* thing out, its really helped me get into this version. I'm addicted again ;)

this is the crappiest day of my life. I had the same problem as RichG so i turned it down to 5* and i couldnt stop playing. so i just finished a game and we had a power cut so i went to bed. I woke up today and turned it on to find it wont load my option file, all my editing gone away, what should i do?

Nice to see you here again T Butcher Fan...
About "the missus"..further up the road there will come a time when the the missus will be very happy when you play PS2...there will even come a time when "the missus" will suggest PS2...been there...

I will try 5* aswell..i've been playing 4*
Was it in PES3 that 3* felt more difficult than 5*???

widget_man said:
this is the crappiest day of my life. I had the same problem as RichG so i turned it down to 5* and i couldnt stop playing. so i just finished a game and we had a power cut so i went to bed. I woke up today and turned it on to find it wont load my option file, all my editing gone away, what should i do?

Good to your enjoying 5* as well. I had a simliar problem with my option file on pes4. My little nephew decided to format the card, little git. To avoid this time I got a usb dongle and copied the max drive option file (from pesfan) and transfered it onto my memory card, its great, no more editing!

RichG said:
Good to your enjoying 5* as well. I had a simliar problem with my option file on pes4. My little nephew decided to format the card, little git. To avoid this time I got a usb dongle and copied the max drive option file (from pesfan) and transfered it onto my memory card, its great, no more editing!

That sounds great, What do i need to do this? and how do i do it? do i need a chipped PS2 for it to work?

Last edited by a moderator:
widget_man said:
Thanks alot for the help guys i have just ordered the max drive. Thanks again that saved me hours of work.

You won't regret it, enjoy... :)

Nick Cave said:
Big fan........ took me ages to get all on original release VHS!!
Just like a good footy game .. a visual feast!!

Yeah, Playtime had a huge influence on me. I remember they showed it on TV around the time of his death in '82, i think. Got the dvd these days. The JT website is quite amusing if you're interested tativille.com

Welcome back Terry Butcher Fan, long time no read. :D

Boring post, but tried 4* last night and lo and behold, a great game of football broke out! As players seemed to have a little bit more room to breathe, I felt able to move the ball about and start creating more chances.

Comparing the two levels now, it seems that in 3*, all your players appear double marked at times and the CPU can effectively smother anything you are trying to build at a very early stage. The player receiving a pass is ganged up on and squeezed off the ball. As a direct result, it feels like you have to run everywhere either trying to retrieve possesion, or because passing is so dangerous, it merely leads to giving the ball away. Hence the idea that it's hard work. And it is!

That's not to say 4* is easier, one game I got humped 3-0 by the mighty err.... Panathinaikos, but the difference being I was able to play some good football and create some decent chances myself.

And if Minanda could finish opportunities as well as he evidently appears able to finish his dinner, my Greek friends would have had a game on their hands.....

Professor Nutmeg said:
Welcome back Terry Butcher Fan, long time no read. :D

What Ho Prof! I've been lurking as usual, enjoying your ML stories. I was thinking about taking the helm at Racing Santander, but I'm also tempted to create my own team though. Been pondering this for nearly 3 weeks now!

Professor Nutmeg said:
Ah, Santander. Did you ever get that shirt for your mate? ;)

Incredible memory mate! I did, and I liked it so much I got myself one. Sadly he is now a Real Madrid supporter, and I face another season of battling relegation.

Talking of memory, I remember you had a fixation with Stephane Dalmat. A player who can now be found plying his 'step-over' fixated trade at Racing!

T Butcher fan said:
Incredible memory mate! I did, and I liked it so much I got myself one. Sadly he is now a Real Madrid supporter, and I face another season of battling relegation.

Talking of memory, I remember you had a fixation with Stephane Dalmat. A player who can now be found plying his 'step-over' fixated trade at Racing!

Indeed, along with his brother Wilfred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom