Surround Sound System

Joe

International
9 August 2004
Ok Im not the smartest bloke here so bare with the shite lingo.

Basically Im after a surround sound system with 5 speakers for downstairs. I have a PS3 so I wont need a blu-ray player to come with this system. Also I have Sky HD. My TV is not the greatest, for example it only has one HDMI port on the back (which means taking the sky out to use PS3).

Are there any systems that are not too pricey. Ive seen this..
http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/HT-S6305.html And thought it looked quite tasty and kind of understood what I was reading.

If there is anything cheaper (but doesnt look like cheap crap) , or there are better things I should be getting, then I would love your help here lads.

Much love

Mr Branyik

You can probably do what I did and just get a cheap one off eBay. I paid £50 for mine, it does optical audio and I've got an optical switcher to connect my PS3 and 360 into.

Gives a pretty damn good sound and well worth £50.

Ok Im not the smartest bloke here so bare with the shite lingo.

Basically Im after a surround sound system with 5 speakers for downstairs. I have a PS3 so I wont need a blu-ray player to come with this system. Also I have Sky HD. My TV is not the greatest, for example it only has one HDMI port on the back (which means taking the sky out to use PS3).

Are there any systems that are not too pricey. Ive seen this..
http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/HT-S6305.html And thought it looked quite tasty and kind of understood what I was reading.

If there is anything cheaper (but doesnt look like cheap crap) , or there are better things I should be getting, then I would love your help here lads.

Much love

Mr Branyik

The Onkyo HT-S6305 looks like a pretty solid system and you get plenty of features and connectivity for the money. Four HDMI ports should be future proof as is HDMI 1.4 compatibility (for what it's worth if your interested in 3D).

Basically you can connect the PS3, Sky and anything else to the back of your receiver (HDMI, optical cables, component video etc) and then you only need one HDMI running from the receiver to the TV for a nice, tidy setup. It's also got HDMI pass-through which is a great feature allowing you to run a signal through the receiver when it's switched off - great for when you want to watch TV/play PS3 without the surround system (i.e. through the TV's speakers). It also decodes the new HD audio formats which is good for watching Blurays.

Basically you could do much worse than this Onkyo set-up. You can get much cheaper 5.1 packages, for instance my Yamaha package cost about £200 and I'm very happy with it but it's not got half the features this Onkyo has. Even if you don't think you'll use all the connections and features now at least your kit will be future proof.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom