Steve McClaren Dutch champion

gerd

Retired Footballer
8 January 2002
Over the moon
KRC Genk, Spurs
Much maligned manager Steve Mclaren won the Dutch championship with Twente.

IMO this is a great performance by a good a very good coach/manager. Against better teams like Ajax, PSV and AZ Twente playe a very secire and tactical aware football, thus creating a huge surprise.

A tip for English clubs who want to buy a fantastic player: Costa Rican winger Bryan Ruiz was by far the best player of the Dutch Eredivisie.

Congratulations to Mc Laren and Twente. Great performance for a litle club like Twente.

Last edited:
Yeah a good achievement, he's the first English manager since 1996 to win a league title in a major league. Shame he fucked up the England job!

btw gerd, there's no space between Mc and Laren.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see Shteve doing well, I just hope his interviews have improved.

Congrats to him, would be nice if others left their comfort zone and tried their hand elsewhere.

:LMAO: Congrats to the guy, hes a good manager (better than most think he is in this country).

Congrats to him, would be nice if others left their comfort zone and tried their hand elsewhere.

Totally agree. English managers moan about not getting the top jobs but why don't they broaden their horizons and improve their ability and take a coaching job abroad? That goes for English players, too. I know the money is good in England but I'd like to see more players and managers putting their football first in the European leagues. It's a shame that Matt Derbyshire is one of the few playing at a high level in Europe, but he should be proud of his achievements at Olympiacos rather than bench-warming at Blackburn.

Back on topic..................I'm really pleased for McLaren, I think he's obviously a good coach and seems like a decent man. He just wasn't ready for the England job at the time, but you can't blame him for taking it. I hope he stays in Holland and continues to rebuild his career. Finishing ahead of Ajax and PSV with a small side like Twente is no mean feat. I know he's been linked with some Premier League teams such as West Ham, and I've just read Wolfsburg are trying to lure him away, but I think he would be crazy to return to a mediocre team when he can take Twente into the Champions League next year.

Congrats to Steve Mclaren and all of FC Twente! :WORSHIP:

Yeah a good achievement, he's the first English manager since 1996 to win a league title in a major league. Shame he fucked up the England job!

btw gerd, there's no space between Mc and Laren.

There's two C's too. ;)

Congrats Steve McClaren‎ and FC Twente! Btw what happened to the Iraqi midfielder, Nashat Akram?

The chase is on!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11881_6141507,00.html

Looks like Stevie will have plenty of options to pick from. Of course staying at Twente is also a possibility having now led them to Champions League football for first time.

I think he'll probably leave though and though there are EPL clubs interested as well, I could see him delay return home and trying his hand in Bundesliga next. Wolfsburg or Hamburg, we'll see... should be interesting.

Also will be interesting to see if Twente president and management can convince him to stay and continue this building...

I'd stay away from England if I was him, Try Germany probably and see how far he can take a side their.

The chase is on!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11881_6141507,00.html

Looks like Stevie will have plenty of options to pick from. Of course staying at Twente is also a possibility having now led them to Champions League football for first time.

I think he'll probably leave though and though there are EPL clubs interested as well, I could see him delay return home and trying his hand in Bundesliga next. Wolfsburg or Hamburg, we'll see... should be interesting.

Also will be interesting to see if Twente president and management can convince him to stay and continue this building...

Yeah I also think he will leave.

By now, Twente has no future. So many good players will leave the club, so he can't really work on - he has to start again imo.

And Twentes youth wasn't bringing up big talents, also their scouts were more on a safari-trip in kazahstan, ukraine shooting some young guys who weren't on a european level.

I think they have to get the best out of the Eredivisie, but with concurrents like Ajax and PSV they will be the 3rd or 4th team for a really good player.

Yep seemed likely. Can't really blame him either.

Thanks for info 'kezman'. ;)

Let's see how he does in the mighty Bundesliga now!

This title could be a sour win for Twente.
Their coach already left, they had a very good young Chelsea player on lone who will leave them almost certainly and their big star Bryan Ruiz will most definitely leave too...what a shame.

Back
Top Bottom