Sound Delay...

Tim7

Retired Footballer
6 May 2003
Gravesend
Charlton Athletic FC
Right, I bought a new tele yesterday and have my surround sound connected to it via digital optical cable from the TV to the sound system, when I watch Sky HD through HDMI cable it's fine, perfectly synced. However when I play the Xbox through HDMI cable the sound is out of sync, it's delayed by about half a second. I've used the same HDMI cable when watching Sky and playing Xbox so I guess it's not the HDMI cable.

Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix it? Cheers guys.

It's because you are using an HDMI cable which carries both sound and picture in the same signal and then a separate optical cable for the sound. It's effectively outputting two separate channels of sound hence the delay.

You need to try and cancel the sound internally on the TV so that it doesn't use the TV speakers (HDMI only for picture), and audio only for your sound system.

I already have it using the audio through the sound system only. The sound and picture go from xbox to tv via hdmi. Then the sound goes from tv to sound system via optical cable. But there's about a one second delay in the sound and there shouldnt be, as when the exact same setup works with the sky hd box.

I used to have my xbox to my tv with hdmi and optical to my surround sound and it worked fine.

Just thought I would rub it in :PP

Nah that's good to know, so it definitely should work. My mate has the same too and his works fine. I read on another forum some guy had the same problem and he turned everything off at the mains and then turned it all back on and it was ok! So I'll give that a go later.

Haven't got it yet so thats a fail comment! Using the sky one.

Right, I bought a new tele yesterday and have my surround sound connected to it via digital optical cable from the TV to the sound system, when I watch Sky HD through HDMI cable it's fine, perfectly synced. However when I play the Xbox through HDMI cable the sound is out of sync, it's delayed by about half a second. I've used the same HDMI cable when watching Sky and playing Xbox so I guess it's not the HDMI cable.

Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix it? Cheers guys.

You should try connecting the optical cable from the Xbox straight to the surround sound system. That should solve the problem.

You can't do that unless you buy the official Xbox HDMI cable which comes with the adapter that allows you to do that. After seeing the poor quality of HDMI cable I got though I will be getting the official Xbox one tomorrow.

You can't do that unless you buy the official Xbox HDMI cable which comes with the adapter that allows you to do that. After seeing the poor quality of HDMI cable I got though I will be getting the official Xbox one tomorrow.

Let us know how you get on. I use the official component cable with the optical port and have no audio lag whatsoever.

Yeah, I used to use the official VGA cable with the optical port and sound was spot on too. So I'm sure it'll be fine once I get the adapter.

Back
Top Bottom