"semi-fixed" player-switch cursor mode - nice!!

S

samuelbarros

I'd read a comment about this a while back but forgot all about it and have only just tried it out over the past couple of days. It makes a big difference to the control you have in the game.

For those that haven't noticed this option yet (you may be like me and just automatically switch the cursor to "manual" mode every time you play a new version of the game), this "semi-fixed" mode is half-way house between "manual" mode and "fixed" in that the game only switches control to a new player when you press :l1:.

So, if you play a pass to a team-mate, your team-mate will receive the pass and play on under cpu control. If you then press :l1:, you start to control him.

It has the advantage over "fixed" mode in that you can choose to switch control to the player currently in possession of the ball whenever you please, so if your guys are playing like muppets, you can intervene. But you can still choose to play as one player for prolonged spells (until the ball goes dead, or you choose to press :l1:).

It has the advantage over "manual" mode in that you can choose to make off-the ball runs, etc whilst your cpu team mates are playing proper football by themselves.

It has the added bonus of reducing the amount of times the cpu bias in the game cheats you out of the ball. Repeated play highlights that the cpu players invariably are given a heavy advantage in challenges, like the way the ball will conveniently spin off a stray heel straight back to the guy you've just beat in a tackle, or the way free-kicks are far too often awarded to the cpu for nothing challenges. But now you can leave to the cpu a lot of these challenges you would otherwise be cheated into losing, thus making it a fair 50-50 challenge. Then, if your cpu-controlled guys comes out with possession, you can take over control of him and play on. Very nice.

It's also handy if you are enjoying your attacking play but the cpu steals the ball and does it's usual punt up the park, straight to the head of it's only attacker. Just leave the cpu controlling your defender and he'll stand a much fairer chance of winning the ball. It saves a lot of the pointless chasing around, fighting against the scripted physics.

It can also be used to great effect in attack where, with correct timing of the player switch, you can pull of some excellent moves under your full control which would be far less likely to come off with manual switch.

Give this a try - it makes the game fun again.

Last edited by a moderator:
i switch it up sometimes between manual and various degrees of semi-auto. because it seems the CPU will always adjust accordingly after a few consecutive games in ML.

ive been playing like this for months, i gotta say i prefer it much more as you never really have that prob of pressing L1 10000 times to get the right player

thanks for the great advice, i am using it on the psp and the game is so much better now. you are a legend.

Thanks again.

damo666

I've been trying this. It's nice to mix up your play a bit. I use it when i'm either to lazy to defend myself(It also helps in keeping your defence in position) or when i'm a bit out of ideas and i'll let the comp have a few touches to surprise me.

My friend and I play one player on semi-fixed and the other on manual for co-op VS games. Absolutely brilliant as now the player on manual can build up the play whilst the semi-fixed player tries to make good runs. When the attack breaks down the semi-fixed player can easily help out on defence.

Dunno if it works online - we've been having too much fun playing against the computer like this to try.

Agree with nick cave. In 2 players coop, both semi-fixed mode is just great. especially for defending.

----------------------
Juventus: Serie A or B always #1 spot

You cannot use semifixed online. It's a shame because it greatly improves the amount of control you have over your team. And since i cannot use it online i stopped using it offline. I'm having too much trouble adapting to a new way of controlling my team everytime i switch from online to offline and back. So now i am stuck with manual again.

I cant find the place where u change cursors ive seen it b4 but where is it? general settings? im using psp version btw

I cant find the place where u change cursors ive seen it b4 but where is it? general settings? im using psp version btw

It is under Player Settings screen option where you change the cursor speed.
You can change the speed of the cursor or make it Manual or Semi-Fixed.

When the match begins pause the game and choose Player Settings option.

Back
Top Bottom