RIP Formula 1 Games

Polyphony pulled out over dispute over pay think they wanted something like $200 million for licence.

lol can you imagine formula one car with Grid handling lmao oh dear. :LOL:

Oh dear indeed...

They could get a whole new team together for it - besides, will the magazines review GRID kindly do you think? It will be outrageous if they do but who knows. If they review them fairly though surely every programmer on that team has to go.

But to be honest I've not really been into F1 games since F1 97 anyway. I wouldn't play an F1 game on PC for so many reasons (smaller screen, not powerful enough system etc.) and I wasn't at all impressed with the PS3 game.

What I really want is a rally game, now that I would look forward to...

I played an F1 game years ago, might well have been on the PC. Think it was made by EA, could that be right? I did enjoy it while I played it I remember :)).

whoah, Codies got it?

Strange, I thought EA had got it. As much as I'm not a fan of EA $ports in general I thought their F1 games were ok.

I didn't think the RACE Driver games were that bad apart from some god-awful online. I certainly thought the AI is better than Gran Turismo.

Oh well, guess I'll have to stick to modded RFactor on the PC for some F1 action.

Polyphony pulled out over dispute over pay think they wanted something like $200 million for licence.

lol can you imagine formula one car with Grid handling lmao oh dear. :LOL:
I doubt Codies will be STUPID enough to do such a high profile game with handling like that. I dont think GRID's handling is all that bad.

Im glad polyphony didnt get it.... Fuck me what a shite F1 game that would have been!

...I dont think GRID's handling is all that bad....

With all due respect - have you ever driven a car? GRIDs cars steer like shopping trolleys! (as most Codies racers do) - its very odd.

F1 more than ANY other racer is dependent on realistic handling. I just cannot see Codies pulling this off. Bad handling in a rally game can be masked by bumps in the road etc - its not an exact science.

To some degree, the GRID style games can have a bit of leeway due to the bumping of cars etc.

But F1 - smooth tarmac, precise lines etc. Its gonna be a dodgem fest.

I'm really at odds to see how anyone (and its not just DJ, couple of people on AVF are the same) can rate GRID better than GT5.

I played GT5 straight after GRID last night and I'd forgotten how good GT5 is. Chucking an Impreza around Suzuka - the sensation of speed and handling is just in a different league. And I dont mean like 'arcade' speed 10000 frames a second. I meant it felt realistic driving a car, braking, the rolling of the chasis etc - all combines to make it feel like a fast driving experience.

best racing sim ever. makes forza 2 and GT series look like GRID in comparison http://gtr-game.10tacle.com/index.php?id=246&L=1

I'm dismayed at PC gaming now. Can never keep up with the hardware race and its all a ballache.

I've got a non-gaming PC to work ok, a modest laptop that plays old games okish and my consoles for proper gaming.

I used to love PC gaming, but its got silly and its so easy to turn a console on and get great gaming.

Had the original GTR and that was really good. For me, GP3 with all aids off and the myriad of patches applied to it (especially the CART mod - which I made a lot of stuff for), is the best racing experiences I've had to date.

Hoping GT5 online (proper) comes close or surpasses it!

yea i realy hope GT5 is has good as gtr2 because imo gt2 is the best racing game to date and its a shame the consoles are ridded with arcade crap like DIRT, need for speed, juice and now this horrid fuck up they called GRID

glad we agree on somthing dj lol but yea gtr2 is an amazing game hench why the developer sinbin would of been the perfect company to make an official F1 game

I used to love PC gaming, but its got silly and its so easy to turn a console on and get great gaming.

Guy who sits behind me at work was a massive PC gamer but he's finally buckled and got a 360 as he's seen the backside fall out of PC gaming in the past year.

I think the only thing PC gaming has going for it is most games are mod-able in some way. Bloody love my PES6 with all the real kits and the Southend United stadium :DD

i too have taken a break away from pc gaming. i was gunna build a new one this summer but asked myself what games am i gunna play with it?

Guy who sits behind me at work was a massive PC gamer but he's finally buckled and got a 360 as he's seen the backside fall out of PC gaming in the past year.

I think the only thing PC gaming has going for it is most games are mod-able in some way. Bloody love my PES6 with all the real kits and the Southend United stadium :DD

Yea, gutted at missing out on PES6 - was my fave footie game. All modded up, nothing came close :(

I would like to retract my statement at the start of this thread and point you all this way...

http://www.vimeo.com/1061033

Looks like CM can do Open Wheel after all!!!! Cannot wait to try this in GRID and if they can apply the same mechanics to an F1 game, you will lose a lot of hardcode enthusiasts, but probably gain more casuals if its anything like this...

I wonder if Codemasters paid the £75million that the F1 owner quoted to Sony when they went to renew the licence.

I would like to retract my statement at the start of this thread and point you all this way...

http://www.vimeo.com/1061033

Looks like CM can do Open Wheel after all!!!! Cannot wait to try this in GRID and if they can apply the same mechanics to an F1 game, you will lose a lot of hardcode enthusiasts, but probably gain more casuals if its anything like this...

Race Driver 3 had a good career mode where you worked your way up from Formula Ford through FBMW, Palmer Audi upto F3 and then onto F1 (albeit only Williams licensed). I thought the FPA races were quite enjoyable as you had the "boost" button.

I wonder if codies plan to incorporate the official F1 side of things as part of the career ladder within next years Driver, and maybe they should get GP2 in there to make it a complete open wheel career mode. Just an idea.

Race Driver 3 had a good career mode where you worked your way up from Formula Ford through FBMW, Palmer Audi upto F3 and then onto F1 (albeit only Williams licensed). I thought the FPA races were quite enjoyable as you had the "boost" button.

I wonder if codies plan to incorporate the official F1 side of things as part of the career ladder within next years Driver, and maybe they should get GP2 in there to make it a complete open wheel career mode. Just an idea.

Damn, I thought of that last week and forgot to post it! Yea, of course - Codies are known for their career mode. Perhaps you will start with Karts, then like you say build it up to the full F1 experience - with skill level ups, mentoring etc.

That would be awesome.

You getting GRID Kenny? Be good to blast around in the F3s with ya!

My opinion is that Codies "physics:LOL:" model is probably most suited to single seater racing cars. The amazing grip, incredible agility and astounding breaking power that typifies single seaters is pretty much how all Codies cars handle.

They'll make an F1 game that makes no attempt to come any closer to simulation than does GRID. It'll be all about accessible, very forgiving and utterly frenetic racing.

The vid of GRID that was linked to by pboreham shows the single seaters in GRID and that's exactly what their F1 game will be. Notice the amount of physical contact, not just with other cars, but with the barriers and indeed rockfaces, and the cars just keep on going unscathed. It'll take big, head-on, max-speed crashes to terminate your car. That's how they want it, for people to be able to make mistakes, bump and barge, but keep on racing.

It's not about simualtion, it's about fun. It's about capturing the speed, exhiliration, noise and excitement of racing, but making it pick-up-and-play accessible so you don't have to practise for weeks on end to get anywhere.

I actually don't see anything wrong with that principle but I just wish they didn't dumb down the physics so much. I don't want 100% sim handling when playing on a console (especially not for F1 cars which are, in reality, impossible to drive), but I want to feel some sense of realism in the handling.

Anyway, prepare for F1 made into a high contact sport....F1 meets destruction derby.

Incidently, the F3 single-seaters in GRID look great fun in cockpit view, very fast and exciting. Too bad they make such crap, irritating AI. Multi-player could be great if you could find a bunch of clean racers and a lag-free connection.

Also, good to see they've finally got a destruction derby in their game. That's what their games have always essentially been and now they've made it official :).

Last edited:
Damn, I thought of that last week and forgot to post it! Yea, of course - Codies are known for their career mode. Perhaps you will start with Karts, then like you say build it up to the full F1 experience - with skill level ups, mentoring etc.

That would be awesome.

You getting GRID Kenny? Be good to blast around in the F3s with ya!

I'm still not overly sold on the Demo yet but that open wheel vid has swayed me a little bit. Historically on the PC Race Driver 1 and 2 had abysmal online modes so I'll let other people test the water before I spunk my 40 notes!

Back
Top Bottom