RIAA trying to pull plug on Usenet/Binary Newsgroups!

Bumpy.

Searched for a usenet thread but didn't find any. Can someone with any knowledge on it enlighten me? I've downloaded a free trial usenext program and I like it, but then I've found out there are several other program out there. Also realized there's a difference in the pricing, like the usenext is $9 per month while Giganews is on $24!

Any idea what the differences are? Do different programs mean more/successful results?

I've been using Newshosting for years and have had good speeds, retention and service. As a client, I use nzbdrop for Mac, and Newsbin for PC. For indexing I use newzbin.com

Sorry Milanista, I'm going to sound a bit noobish here, I've got the slightest idea what you're talking about :P

It's the first time for me. I just happened to come across it last night and tried the use-next free trial.

I hope you're bothered enough to explain.

Firstly you need a Usenet newsreader which is a program to find and download your stuff and secondly (after your trial) you need to pay a news server (Usenet provider) to download stuff from (they have retention, meaning they only keep them on the server for so long, astraweb is at 763 days now which is more than enough) and thirdly you need a indexing site to find the things your looking for and where you will get your .nzb's which are basically like a torrent, just a file pointing to the things you want which you would open in your Usenet provider. The best Indexing sites again you have to pay for but some sites are free

Regarding the Usenet provider, they are either pay monthly for unlimited ($10-$15) or you pay for a set amount say 180gb ($25) to use whenever you want and top up again when your out

Prices vary but the ones i said were from Astraweb

Last edited:
Thanks Coopz. About the indexing site, why would I need one when there's a search option in the program itself?

EDIT: I've found a few like UseNetServer, NewsDemon, and SuperNews. I think I might go for SuperNews. Think I'm getting the hang of it now. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Ohh sorry Lami.

There are literally thousands of posts and files on Usenet, so indexing sites basically create nzb files that can direct you to the exact location of the files you're looking for. Newshosting is my hosting service, I think its $14 for unlimited and 30 connections (the more, the faster usually).

You basically use the indexing sites to get an nzb file which you open with your client, and it automatically downloads or opens what you searched for, and depending on your hosting service's retention, you can download files that were on the servers.

Thanks Milanista. Looked at your hosting service and they have a 60 connection for about $15-16. Not bad.

Also found this plan -

GB: Unlimited
Connections: 50
Retention: 650 Days
SSL: yes
Free News Reader: yes
Online Storage: yes
$10 off NewsBin Pro: yes
24/7 Support: yes
Price: $11.95

http://www.newsdemon.com/

20 more connections, 650 retention days, for $12. Not bad. This a good server/host though?

EDIT: Went for newsdemon. I'll try this for a month and see what it's all about.

Last edited:
Some ISPs have already started throttling the common usenet ports so you should use an SSL connection with an alternative port if your usenet provider supports one. And obviously make sure your firewall isn't blocking traffic on that port.

Thanks Placebo. I'm using SSL and it seems that GrabIt has quicker speeds than news rover.

Is there a better free client than these? Tried installing newsbin pro but it stops halfway saying it needs internet connection to continue when I'm actually connected... It's just not working.

Also, does it matter which usenet server I'm using? As in, are there servers faster than others? Giganews seems to be the best from the looks of it but it's quite expensive.

NewsDemon should be fast enough. Make sure whichever client you're using that you've set it to use the maximum number of connections that you've signed up for - I know sometimes they'll just default to a low number and that will restrict you.

Client-wise I found Newsbin Pro was OK if a bit clunky. News Rover continuously seemed to mess things up for me. I don't use my PC now so can't recommend any others.

Good to see a large number of people appreciate the download speed to grab their Linux ISOs, it's a real time saver.

Trying newsbin, a version that's compatible with Giganews, but I've the slightest idea how to download on there. To be frank, I'm still lost :(

EDIT: Ok. Somehow managed to find my way around newsbin pro 5.57. Downloading full speed as well on my free trial Giganews. Want to try my NewsDemon account see if its as fast as well.

Last edited:
I use a combination of Grabit and searchsites. Have never bothered searching in grabit or any such programs.

Newsleech (search)
Binsearch (search)
nzbmatrix (listing)

Fortunatly my ISP has a free 20day newserver with my contract, although I sometimes top up with a dutch newserver for 2,50euro for a week with 8 connections and unlimited data to get some older stuff.

As for the actual topic, I'm pretty sure they won't be able to stop the use, RIAA has no juridiction outside of the US (& Canada?) and it's still a normal way to host large files for legal purposes. Torrents are still going strong and 3 years? of courtcases.

Yea I'm currently using it for Giganews trial, in addition to my news rover which came with newsdemon. I think I'm liking news rover now, tried downloading a couple things and certainly downloading on max speed. Also using Binsearch, love it.

You can save $10 on Newsbin Pro through NewsDemon as well. You might need to ask their Live support service for the link unless they've made it more obvious though.

You can save $10 on Newsbin Pro through NewsDemon as well. You might need to ask their Live support service for the link unless they've made it more obvious though.

Yep they've got that as well, but for some odd reason it's not installing on my system. It just hangs and says needs internet connection when I'm actually connected. Kept retrying to no avail.

Thanks Milanista. Looked at your hosting service and they have a 60 connection for about $15-16. Not bad.

Also found this plan -

GB: Unlimited
Connections: 50
Retention: 650 Days
SSL: yes
Free News Reader: yes
Online Storage: yes
$10 off NewsBin Pro: yes
24/7 Support: yes
Price: $11.95

http://www.newsdemon.com/

20 more connections, 650 retention days, for $12. Not bad. This a good server/host though?

EDIT: Went for newsdemon. I'll try this for a month and see what it's all about.

newsdemon is uttershite, download to much of them and they throttle down to 300k download speeds, stay well clear of them, get on astraweb, and get hold of altbinz.

+1 for newsbin pro and giganews combo!

paid for newsbin pro years ago, and been on giganews' diamond service for about 6 years. also subscribe to the newsbin pro 'unlimited search' feature.

the search feature is a must if you use newsbin, because it turns it into a kind of 'google-for-warez'. search, find, click, download, enjoy!

absolutely effortless! oh, and giganews retention is about 2 years!!!

Back
Top Bottom