Referees & Linesmen at WC2010

Re: Referees at WC2010

Yes, I did, but this is "just" yellow, because it unfair without hurting him. But slapping into the face is very unfair and includes the aim of hurting the opponent. For me yellow for the player from Honduras and red for Villa would have been the right decision.

Behrami hits the Chilean first in the chest and that's ok, no foul, next he raises his arm and hits the neck/face, that's red card for me. On the other hand, after seeing it again I agree Gourcuff's was a bit rough.

Fifa has banned the refs for Brazil-Ivory Coast and Sloviena-USA. At least they were fast at that.

Last edited:

Yes, I did, but this is "just" yellow, because it unfair without hurting him. But slapping into the face is very unfair and includes the aim of hurting the opponent. For me yellow for the player from Honduras and red for Villa would have been the right decision.

I can't agree with that, that's favoring and encouraging those who like to provoke, and about the pain I have doubts which hurt more. :)

if that was the case villa should of drop n rolled on the floor he choose to slap that to me is far worst then any red from yesterday n today. Its a reaction to an action even he amid to it I need to control my slaps

if that was the case villa should of drop n rolled on the floor he choose to slap that to me is far worst then any red from yesterday n today. Its a reaction to an action even he amid to it I need to control my slaps

That would be a red yes, but the ref didn't see it. What pisses me off the most is that FIFA is considering a punishment after analysing the video footage: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8753549.stm

FFS, what are they thinking?? If they take action against Villa, they might as well undo all the other unfair yellow/red cards from the other matches supported by video evidence (e.g. Findley's yellow for a hand ball that he never commited, but still this prevents him from playing against Algeria).

FIFA cunts are ruining it. For the good of the game my ass. They have to come to terms with it and make a fucking decision. VIDEO or NO VIDEO? Incongruent fuckers.

Here goes our "Fucking disgrace" badge to all FIFA suits.

fuckindisgrace.png

yeah I fully agreed it would be wrong to give Villa a red card after the match. US was robbed will they give them 3pts No, so why even bother. My point was they give to one and not another how did the other sideline ref did not see it, but saw kaka didn`t do anything lol

I know he shouldn't react like that, but it was his instinct, he didn't have time to think about it...it's understandable, imo. It's funny how important is villa's attitude for you without even mention honduran player's sportsmanship. Anyway, its my opinion.

I can't agree with that, that's favoring and encouraging those who like to provoke, and about the pain I have doubts which hurt more. :)

Provoking is of course not a nice way to play this game, but it can be used to "eliminate" of the players of the opponent team or at least make him nervous. Don't get me wrong, I think it is neither nice nor good to play with such gestures, but it is no reason to send someone off. Otherwise you'd have to send everyone off, who is trying to catch a free kick or penalty by falling down in "the Italian way", because this is unfair, too.

And about Behrami: I don't know if he really wanted to hit him there, in my opinion he just tried to get away from him and hit him by accident. And I just can repeat it: With an "eagle eye"-technique as used in Tennis matches, situations like these decisions, could be judged rightly.

Edit: Giving Villa a red card after the game is out of question. Then you'd have to give the USA another goal(including two more points), allow some other guys to play in the next matches and so on...

Last edited:

why do I need to mention the honduras he has little importance to the team. Villa on the other hand is very important Jesus! hit your head on something I think it`s stuck. All jokes aside though this was to wind Villa up and his reaction was the bait. Is the honduras guilty yes ,but a step vs a slap mmmm it`s hard to prove a slap was accidental eh?

why do I need to mention the honduras he has little importance to the team. Villa on the other hand is very important Jesus! hit your head on something I think it`s stuck. All jokes aside though this was to wind Villa up and his reaction was the bait. Is the honduras guilty yes ,but a step vs a slap mmmm it`s hard to prove a slap was accidental eh?

I'm not arguing about who is more important, neither about proving to the referee who started that...i'm just saying i understand his reaction, nothing more.

i cant help myself thinking the referee in England - Slovenia was a bit on england side...

I'm not sure but I think the referee in the USA-ALG game booked the wrong player. Yahia was on yellow but I can't see what wrong he did. Maybe I need to see it again.

Yeah he deserved it for that but still strange how he was 'innocent' right at the end when they were searching for the equaliser. The Algerians were screaming at the referee but I'm not sure if Yahia was one of them.

Yeah, he deserved to go for that beboq, but the ref didn't see that. Funnily enough, Instant Karma got this Algerian #4 and he was sent off later for doing nothing (he received a 2nd yellow but all he did was pull away the Algerians who were trying to kill the referee - but maybe he insulted the ref too? dunno...)

It has to be said: USA were ripped off once again! Dempsey was onside and the Americans had yet another legit goal disallowed. Lucky FIFA, they still managed to go through in 1st with that late goal, otherwise it would be 4 points in their tally.

The ref from England vs Slovenia was slightly in favour of England in some decisions such as letting Johnson commit 2 violent fouls and get away with it. And then when a Slovenian tackled him back (didn't even hit) was booked without being cautioned. But, from the bits that I watched, it was nothing that changed the result and England won fairly.

Man if Donovan didn't score that last-gasp goal, can you imagine how SCREWED Americans must have felt by Fifa and their referees?!

They would've essentially not qualified to next round despite deserving to top the group with best performances. Unbelievable! Really glad it didn't come to that because that would've looked REALLY bad for the game for a team to go out like that.

The refereeing got off to a really good start, but some things are creeping in.

However the offsides have been fantastic, there might be a few that have sneaked in, but not many.

FD

The referee in the Japan v Denmark game was a right pedant, he gave two Japanese players yellow cards for time-wasting. Nothing unusual about that other than the incidents both took place within the first 20 minutes of the FIRST half.

The refereeing got off to a really good start, but some things are creeping in.

However the offsides have been fantastic, there might be a few that have sneaked in, but not many.

FD

depend what game ,because theirs been a few unfairly offside even goals disallow from it. It safe to say even (side by side) w/ a defender will be called offsides

The referee in the Japan v Denmark game was a right pedant, he gave two Japanese players yellow cards for time-wasting. Nothing unusual about that other than the incidents both took place within the first 20 minutes of the FIRST half.

Totally agree, that South African ref looked like he had a cactus up his arse. He was very impatient, intolerant and really card-happy with the japanese. Seemed like he was trying too hard to impose himself. Such a prick!

Nobody talked about that French ref in Brzail-Ivory Coast?
Every single decision went the Brazilian way in the fist hour.
Brazil second goal was a disgrace, two times the hand of god....

In the end there was an Ivory Coast player who should have had a red card.
Every WC it's the same, Brazil always are advantaged (and yes the sending off of Kaka was maybe harsh, but you can't say he didn't touch the Ivorian player...).

Nobody talked about that French ref in Brzail-Ivory Coast?
Every single decision went the Brazilian way in the fist hour.
Brazil second goal was a disgrace, two times the hand of god....

In the end there was an Ivory Coast player who should have had a red card.
Every WC it's the same, Brazil always are advantaged (and yes the sending off of Kaka was maybe harsh, but you can't say he didn't touch the Ivorian player...).

I remember that Belgium v Brazil game too gerd and was amazed but not surprised by some of the refereeing within it.

And Havelange when he was FIFA president always did try and help in whatever way he could.......

FIFA fine Maradona for his outburst after qualifying against Uruguay last year.

Dunga calls a journalist a shithead and gets nothing. FIFA say the Heinze goal should have been ruled out and perhaps it should be the way Samuel held the Nigeria defender Obasi but nothing about Fabiano's goal.

The same Luis Fabiano who said he'd do anything to win the WC include cheat.

Until retrospective video punishment is introduced players are going to simulate and display their own odd intepretation of human anatomy knowing full well they can get away with it most of the time.

I remember that Belgium v Brazil game too gerd and was amazed but not surprised by some of the refereeing within it.

And Havelange when he was FIFA president always did try and help in whatever way he could.......

FIFA fine Maradona for his outburst after qualifying against Uruguay last year.

Dunga calls a journalist a shithead and gets nothing. FIFA say the Heinze goal should have been ruled out and perhaps it should be the way Samuel held the Nigeria defender Obasi but nothing about Fabiano's goal.

The same Luis Fabiano who said he'd do anything to win the WC include cheat.

Until retrospective video punishment is introduced players are going to simulate and display their own odd intepretation of human anatomy knowing full well they can get away with it most of the time.

Do you really really wanna discuss hand balls? To read that from an Argentinean is just preposterous. :TTTH:

If retroactive video punishment is implemented, FIFA might as well rule out a certain goal against England in '86 :P

So you're complaining about Havelange - who's really a cunt, I might add. But let's not forget that BOTH Argentina's controversial World Cup titles happened under Havelange. In '78 Argentina vs. Peru was postponed and they knew exactly how many goals they needed. The Peruvian goalkeeper was more than friendly. Brazil, who had played their match before, went out of that tournament without losing a single match. Now that's what I call a disgrace.

If we were to discuss previous World Cups here I could go on and on....

It's easy for Brazil haters to point out stuff like that from Fabiano, but the truth is that bad decisions happen all the time and go either way.

Maybe? Oh dear..

Do you really really wanna discuss hand balls? To read that from an Argentinean is just preposterous. :TTTH:

If retroactive video punishment is implemented, FIFA might as well rule out a certain goal against England in '86 :P

So you're complaining about Havelange - who's really a cunt, I might add. But let's not forget that BOTH Argentina's controversial World Cup titles happened under Havelange. In '78 Argentina vs. Peru was postponed and they knew exactly how many goals they needed. The Peruvian goalkeeper was more than friendly. Brazil, who had played their match before, went out of that tournament without losing a single match. Now that's what I call a disgrace.

If we were to discuss previous World Cups here I could go on and on....

It's easy for Brazil haters to point out stuff like that from Fabiano, but the truth is that bad decisions happen all the time and go either way.

What's controversial about 1978 ? Peru supposedly agreed a deal with Argentina ?

Peru hit the post early on in that game. Yes they were really trying to throw the game. And had you not missed all those chances against Poland you would not be complaining now.

1986 it was a handball so fair enough. But you've gotten away with plenty too in reaching your sucesses.

I watched that game and some of the refereeing whether directly or subliminally was against Belgium. Same against Holland in 1994 with the offside decisions.

And having seen Brazil of the last few years there cannot be a more cynical team in the world at the moment.

Fabiano even said before the WC he'd cheat to win it. No wonder Socrates said he'd rather support Spain.

I already answer that Luis Fabiano issue in the Brazil thread, trust me it is a lost in translation problem.
From a European point of view that may look like an absurd statement, but really is just plain stupid talk some brazilians use to do, theres no harm in his words and the translation was quite malicious, he never used the word cheat.
But yea he is quite a dirty player...

What's controversial about 1978 ? Peru supposedly agreed a deal with Argentina ?

Peru hit the post early on in that game. Yes they were really trying to throw the game. And had you not missed all those chances against Poland you would not be complaining now.

1986 it was a handball so fair enough. But you've gotten away with plenty too in reaching your sucesses.

I watched that game and some of the refereeing whether directly or subliminally was against Belgium. Same against Holland in 1994 with the offside decisions.

And having seen Brazil of the last few years there cannot be a more cynical team in the world at the moment.

Fabiano even said before the WC he'd cheat to win it. No wonder Socrates said he'd rather support Spain.

Nowadays, decisive matches in World Cups are played simultaneously, like we've been seeing in the group stage's 3rd round, because goals difference is a deciding factor. Back in 1978 it wasn't like this. Brazil vs Poland played first and only then, hours later, Argentina played Peru knowing exactly the goal difference they needed.

A scheme to benefit Argentina has been suggested more than once in Brazil, believe me. The fact that the Peruvian goalkeeper, Quiroga, was an Argentine with Peruvian citizenship didn't help either. I'd like to believe that was just a coincidence.

Apparently, even an Argentine journalist, Ricardo Gotta, has revealed strange things going on in his book called "Fuimos Campeones" released in 2008, in the 30rd Anniversary of the World Cup title. I would like to read it sometime out of curiosity.

I'm not denying any bad decision in Brazil's favour (although that against Holland was not offside, Romario clearly didn't take part in the play for Bebeto's goal). The point I'd like to make is that bad decisions go either way... It's just Brazil haters that forget how we've been ripped off as well. Why nobody mentions that appaling red card for Ronaldinho against England in 2002? Probably because Brazil got on with it and won the match anyway, instead of moaning and sulking.

That about Luis Fabiano, sauce previously explained in some other thread. His words were somewhat manipulated, when in truth he meant that he didn't care about playing ugly football, as long as Brazil wins the WC.

you see both ingleses Agrie n brasilian arguing past decades about each others demise soon will see maradona vs pele :LOL:

Again today that Mexican card-happy wanker ruining yet another match. Chile stood a chance if they were levelled 11 vs 11 but the ref had other plans. Estrada did nothing at all, he was just running behind Torres, who accidentally tripped on his legs.

Chile, who was benefited before against Switzerland (that ridiculous Behrami sending off), now was in the receiving end of very poor refereeing. Their defence is already weak - now against Brazil will be even more, with both CB positions filled with substitutes.

I wonder if someday we'll ever see a game ending with all 22 players on the pitch with that Mexican tool on the whistle.

Back
Top Bottom