Rainbow Six: Siege

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
No love for this here?

Bought it on PS4 a while ago and it's the best shooter experience I've had since Rainbow Six: Vegas.

Nothing quite like creeping around a plane only to hear the beeping of a suicide vest coming up behind you and realising you have to go through him to get out.

Played the Alpha back in April and not played it since.

Thought the game was ok, but unfortunately there are games alot better out there.

I am not sure what improvements they have made since the Alpha but it was not the Rainbow Six game I was hoping for.. Was hoping the game would be a slow paced tactical shooter like Raven Shield but it was a very fast paced close quarter combat game which lasted 3 minutes.

• Staff
The games I've played last around 10 minutes on average - I think you're right though, it's clearly designed for faster rounds, BUT it hasn't dumbed the game down as a result. It's just that the maps are a little bit more concentrated and the gadgets are a little bit too useful (as is having cameras all over some of the suburban maps that you have access to as the defenders).

There's just nothing quite so satisfying as foiling all of your enemies' traps, or rappelling up a building to get the drop on someone. It's the only shooter on current-gen that requires you to really think about what you're doing, though it works best when you've got a full squad of people you know.

It's the online GOTY for me.

is this like the old rainbow 6 games, i.e. no silly jumping about 20 feet into the air.

i used to love the old ones on PC

• Staff
is this like the old rainbow 6 games, i.e. no silly jumping about 20 feet into the air.

I'd say it is, but as I said, they've made the maps a little bit more concentrated to make rounds a little bit quicker so there's some hardcore guys who aren't happy with it. I absolutely love it, though.

You forget, playing Battlefield and Call of Duty and the like, what it feels like in a game where every bullet counts. When you're in a group of five friends playing another group of five who work together, you're all tiptoeing around petrified of what's around the corner.

• Staff
The training, if you want to three-star everything, is a story in itself... But that's an excuse and I know it, there's no doubt it should be £30 tops (IMO) considering the fact that it's online-only (and full of microtransactions, but thankfully none of them appear to be game-breaking).

If your talking the old Rainbow Six games the 3rd Person ones or the Raven Shield the game will certainly not be what your expecting.

This was the reason I was disappointed with the title, as I loved Raven Shield and this is not the tactical shooter that game was...

Back
Top Bottom