1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

R.I.P. my PS2

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by OPM, 28 May 2005.

1. OPM

OPM ... Staff

2 June 2003
    Budapest
    :( :( she died tonight i think, but maybe earlier this week, haven't used her for like 5 days now.

damn shit.

i only hear the laser trying to read the discs but it doesn't work.no original dvd's, no cd'rs oder dvd+r/-r. :( :(

dunno if there is any way to try and repair it?(opened and cleaned everything allready) or do i have to get it to some shop and let them repair her?argh.i am so angry.

it's a first series version btw with no idea what mod chip, 3 1/2 years old now.

feel with me!help me maybe!i wanna play Liveware.... :(

2. jumbo

jumbo Premiership

30 May 2003
    WE Heaven
    sorry to hear that.

well, it's now only wise to start saving up for PS3. you'd obviously miss WE9 but.. unless you got stacks of cash lyin around.

3. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Championship

29 October 2002
    Happened to me, too, a while ago. Sad day.

I bought another, second hand. As long as you check it first, and listen to make sure the laser isn't dying on that one too, it should last until the PS3.

Let's hope this time, Sony manage to put out a product that doesn't stop working after 2 or 3 years......

4. OPM

OPM ... Staff

2 June 2003
    Budapest
    i agree.

i've got the money for the ps3 allready put back, so i don't worry about that one.just like to get this one to work again, maybe a new laser will do the job.need to ask in local stores on monday...stupid day to see my lovely console going down the river...

5. videogamingtown

videogamingtown THE PREMIERSHIP PATCH GUY

29 November 2003
    SOUTH WALES
    UNITED!
    i too am saving for ps3 ! a while back my ps2 just stopped workin

turned out it was dust stuck in the vent parts so i aired it out and it worked again :D

soz to ere bout urs dude :( i know what ur going thru

BE STRONG ;)

6. OPM

OPM ... Staff

2 June 2003
    Budapest
    i try to be, but the it feels strange not being able to play WE whenever you want...:(

7. OPM

OPM ... Staff

2 June 2003
    Budapest
    sent the guys taht put in my modchip a mail...let's see how much they want for repair...i ain't givin her up!

8. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Turn around, I'm right behind you...
    Manchester United
    Was that your Eulogy? C'mon, you must have nicer things to say.

9. SPiTFiRE

SPiTFiRE Eusébio forever

6 April 2004
    SL Benfica
    Unlucky man, dude, save your money and buy a PS3 in 2006! It will be better for you.

10. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Or get a slim ps2, they aint that expensive nowadays.

11. Slobber

Slobber boycotting PES

3 August 2003
    Merseyside, England
    Liverpool FC
    I'm on my third PS2. Hopefully this one won't break as well. :(

12. OPM

OPM ... Staff

2 June 2003
    Budapest
    my psx laser lasted 6 years without problems.too bad this one didn't.

13. Milanista

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Im on my 3rd as well right now.

14. OPM

OPM ... Staff

2 June 2003
    Budapest
    it's my second btw.

15. Milanista

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Hopefully PS3 lasts longer lol.

16. Slobber

Slobber boycotting PES

3 August 2003
    Merseyside, England
    Liverpool FC
    Sony need to give out longer warranties for their consoles. I've had my GC and Xbox for years and I've had no problems with them at all, and my PS2 is probably my least played console.

17. Jacko

Jacko The Don

9 April 2002
    London
    It happened to me.

Meh I bought a pstwo.

18. SPiTFiRE

SPiTFiRE Eusébio forever

6 April 2004
    SL Benfica
    I Have my PS2 since 27 June 2002, and I had chiped my PS2 last year, and I don't have any problems even with the laser, it's fine like a new one.

19. titeo

titeo Pro Evo 2008

3 January 2005
    USA
    if you PS2 still fails, you should pawn that sucker and get at least $75 for it.

20. OPM

OPM ... Staff

2 June 2003
    Budapest
    sending it out tomorrow...they'll fix it...hopefully not TOO expensive.

21. Pires7

Pires7 Jumpers For Goalposts

28 July 2003
    London
    Arsenal
    Youre very lucky then.
    Ive had mine since November 2002, and its fucked. I cant play PES anymore.
    There must be somewhere tht fixes them, coz I dnt wanna buy another one.

22. RuneEdge

RuneEdge Silent Assassin

1 October 2003
    Turn around, I'm right behind you...
    Manchester United
    No point in that if you're gonna break the void and chip the console.

23. Revan

Revan out the window

8 August 2003
    Madeira, Portugal.
    FC Porto
    Sony needs to make their hardware mor durable, no cheap material that can break anyday. Althought that would be bad for our pockets! :s

24. Jacko

Jacko The Don

9 April 2002
    London
    Mine from Dec 2000 - Dec 2004.

4 years, while not good it worked.

Infact it still worked when I broke it, but I didn;t realise it was just my swap magic cd that wouldn;t work.

25. Slobber

Slobber boycotting PES

3 August 2003
    Merseyside, England
    Liverpool FC

Mine's not chipped..I use swap disks. ;) A cool thing is though, after my last PS2 broke, I just put the disk tray cover back on it, and took it back to the store I bought it from, and got a new one. :D Thank God I have extended warranties for my console :D

26. SPiTFiRE

SPiTFiRE Eusébio forever

6 April 2004
    SL Benfica
    The only problem than I have in laser is playing my original FFVII in PS2, because of gameshark.

27. wutang_04

wutang_04 Killa Bee.

28 March 2005
    Manchester.
    what u gotta do when ur getting a modchip put in if its legal in ur country, is make sure its a good one. Not a crappy non-solder one, they r shite. and make sure u use decent dvd-r's when backing up ur games and also burn at slow speeds not the maximum ur chip can do, the slower the speeds, the darker the dye on the disks, the less strain will be put on your laser. Also don't play DVD's on ur ps2 that will just lessen the life of the laser, if u do all of this then ur laser should last longer. It may take more effort and more time, but in the end its worth it when u can stick in a back up and smile, knowing that its working!!!!!!!!!

28. distefano

distefano Conference

16 May 2002
    arcade holland
    did u clean your laser with pure alcohol? since the first time i thought it died i was able to play nearly one year cleaning the laser monthley with alcohol. still made a lot of weird noises but it worked. now i have a hd in my ps2 so no laserprobs for me till the ps3 drops...

29. JimJoeC

JimJoeC Custom User Title

26 June 2002
    Southampton, England
    Saints
    Phone Sony and you can get a replacement delivered to your door for about £45.00

They take your old one and give you a reconditioned one in it's place.

You can also swap over an old knackered pad, I did it and everything is working fine.

30. OPM

OPM ... Staff

2 June 2003
    Budapest
    got it back.they cleaned and adjusted the laser, replaced something and now it works again :)perfect.had to pay 17,50€ (incl. shipping), it was worth it... :)