Quick question about MM in PS3 Fifa 09. To sum up, WTF?

The Doctor76

Premiership
27 February 2009
UK
Man Utd
OK, I bought the PS3 version of Fifa 09, because I believed it to be better than the PC one, which of course, it is. As far as the football is concerned. What the hell has happened off pitch? I haven't seen one night match in Management Mode, not even for the League Cup and that always is held at night: are there no night matches in MM? Also, and far more importantly, I was managing Reading, but got sacked. Could I look for a new job, maybe a lower league one? No! Game bloody over if you get sacked in MM! All this ingame attention to detail and then you do that, EA? You could look for a new job in the PC version, all I got was a 'reluctant retirement' newspaper headline and then back to the main menu! I expect 'game over' for being sacked from PES and Konami, but not Fifa. Especially NG Fifa!

EA, sort it out! The PC version needs the attention to detail of the PS3 version, but the PS3 version needs some of the off pitch attention to detail that is present in the PC version!

I hope someone can tell me that you can actually move from club to club in MM if you're successful! But even then, the first one that goes tits up and it's game over! Ridiculous!

Last edited:
You can move clubs if you are successful in MM yes, but there are no night games ever :((.

You can move clubs if you are successful in MM yes, but there are no night games ever :((.

Daft, isn't it? There are night games in the PC's MM, but then the football's rubbish in comparison and there's no attention to detail. Do these dev teams ever, you know, talk to each other??

Edit: Any chance of the lack of MM night matches being fixed in a patch? Football is never more atmospheric than when it is a night time fixture, especially for something like League Cup/CL!

Last edited:
:LMAO: No chance of it being fixed in a patch I'm afraid. You'll have to wait until FIFA 10 and keep your fingers crossed like the rest of us.

I guess one reason for the lack of night matches in MM could be because not all of the stadiums in the game actually have a Night setting. Some do, but some only have Fine/Overcast and maybe Dusk. Why that is we can only speculate - a lack of time and artist resources during dev, maybe?

There is a slight workaround you can try. If the stadium you are due to play in is one of the ones with Night setting, save your MM and quit to main menu, go to Exhibition, set the home team to whoever the home team is in your upcoming MM fixture, and in the game settings set it be played at Night.

You don't even need to start the Exhibition, just quit back to the main menu and load your MM. Then you should be able to play the fixture with that nice floodlight atmosphere. After the game, save your MM and repeat the process to revert back to Day or whatever time setting you prefer for normal league fixtures.

This works on the 360, I'm assuming it's the same for PS3?

As for Game Over when you're sacked, I had a 12-year MM career in which I was successful at two previous clubs, won some trophies, raised my prestige to 9/10 or 10/10. I then endured one bad season with a third club. I'd already been making plans that at the end of the season I would return to my starting club with my tail between my legs, but I instead I was sacked just before the end of the season, game over, end of career :(

Surely it would be simple to do something basic like simulate the rest of the season in which you are sacked, allowing you to move to another club for the start of the next season. But then there's probably nothing stopping you selecting the same club who sacked you... :FAIL:

I guess one reason for the lack of night matches in MM could be because not all of the stadiums in the game actually have a Night setting. Some do, but some only have Fine/Overcast and maybe Dusk. Why that is we can only speculate - a lack of time and artist resources during dev, maybe?

There is a slight workaround you can try. If the stadium you are due to play in is one of the ones with Night setting, save your MM and quit to main menu, go to Exhibition, set the home team to whoever the home team is in your upcoming MM fixture, and in the game settings set it be played at Night.

You don't even need to start the Exhibition, just quit back to the main menu and load your MM. Then you should be able to play the fixture with that nice floodlight atmosphere. After the game, save your MM and repeat the process to revert back to Day or whatever time setting you prefer for normal league fixtures.

This works on the 360, I'm assuming it's the same for PS3?

As for Game Over when you're sacked, I had a 12-year MM career in which I was successful at two previous clubs, won some trophies, raised my prestige to 9/10 or 10/10. I then endured one bad season with a third club. I'd already been making plans that at the end of the season I would return to my starting club with my tail between my legs, but I instead I was sacked just before the end of the season, game over, end of career :(

Surely it would be simple to do something basic like simulate the rest of the season in which you are sacked, allowing you to move to another club for the start of the next season. But then there's probably nothing stopping you selecting the same club who sacked you... :FAIL:

What I don't get is the PC version lets you choose a different club, from a small selection of clubs below your current level! Why not the NG versions?? This has taken the (considerable) shine off the game in a big way for me.

is there any work around...at all.. to the lack of CPU progression throughout your MM years? As much as I fancy playing against Man United's starting eleven from 2009 when my MM is in 2015...

OK, I bought the PS3 version of Fifa 09, because I believed it to be better than the PC one, which of course, it is. As far as the football is concerned. What the hell has happened off pitch? I haven't seen one night match in Management Mode, not even for the League Cup and that always is held at night: are there no night matches in MM? Also, and far more importantly, I was managing Reading, but got sacked. Could I look for a new job, maybe a lower league one? No! Game bloody over if you get sacked in MM! All this ingame attention to detail and then you do that, EA? You could look for a new job in the PC version, all I got was a 'reluctant retirement' newspaper headline and then back to the main menu! I expect 'game over' for being sacked from PES and Konami, but not Fifa. Especially NG Fifa!

EA, sort it out! The PC version needs the attention to detail of the PS3 version, but the PS3 version needs some of the off pitch attention to detail that is present in the PC version!

I hope someone can tell me that you can actually move from club to club in MM if you're successful! But even then, the first one that goes tits up and it's game over! Ridiculous!

Fortunatly all the things you mentioned in your post will be resolved for Fifa 10. Mid-week Cup matches will be at Night and you'll be able to manage another club after you've been sacked.

Loan glitches won't be fixed.....

Long term injury glitches quite possibly won't be fixed.......

AI substitution glitches quite possibly won't be fixed.........

Man I really don't want to post negative MM posts in anymore threads but all I can say is don't get your hopes up for anything really new in FIFA10 MM wise, some things have been improved but most have been ignored...

MM is good im not really worried about night matches but some stade look rlly good at night on pc in fifa 08

but it is still an improvement if u guys think mm in fifa is bad it is even much worse in nhl 09

Man I really don't want to post negative MM posts in anymore threads but all I can say is don't get your hopes up for anything really new in FIFA10 MM wise, some things have been improved but most have been ignored...

I don't think most have been ignored, there's some disappointments such as no FA Cup Replays and the ECC/EFA final won't be played at a different stadium each season but many annoying issue's have been addressed.

Good thing also is, the Night feature will be available in every stadium. this is great for European matches.

I don't think most have been ignored, there's some disappointments such as no FA Cup Replays and the ECC/EFA final won't be played at a different stadium each season but many annoying issue's have been addressed.

Good thing also is, the Night feature will be available in every stadium. this is great for European matches.

Check through all the various lists cooler, many of the issues raised have not been corrected in 10, don't get me wrong some have and the MM will be a big improvement I'm sure but many haven't for one reason or another... ;)

Last edited:
There IS night matches in manager mode, just not in the English league. I got saves in the aussie and austrian leagues and I have day and night matches. If I remember right, the aussie league matches are during the day and the cup matches are during the night.

There IS night matches in manager mode, just not in the English league. I got saves in the aussie and austrian leagues and I have day and night matches. If I remember right, the aussie league matches are during the day and the cup matches are during the night.
If I remember rightly, the reason for that is that some of the stadia used in the Australian/Austrian leagues only have night mode available. You should find that if you go into a friendly game and select the stadium, there are no day/dusk modes.

Back
Top Bottom